Life decisions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

savage501

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
would you pass over competitive programs in NYC to stay in a city like detroit for a significant other? please help.

Members don't see this ad.

I might....it depends on your priorities.....my family will be #1, work is #2

For me, I'm waiting until my interviews are finished so I know what to expect from each city.

A resident at a program in NY where I interviewed said that if you don't have a strong need to be in NY, she would not recommend doing a peds residency in New York. Her reasoning was that there are so many programs in NYC that no single program has everything. In cities where there are fewer programs, you will see more at a single program. Not sure whether or not this is true...just something I heard.

Members don't see this ad :)
savage501 said:
would you pass over competitive programs in NYC to stay in a city like detroit for a significant other? please help.

yes

I would stay in Detroit - if it were for a significant other. I think you will be happier in the end.

are you in a committed and loving relationship?
Is your significant other both supportive and willing to do things to make the both of you happy.

In my opinion, love is not just a sentiment, it is also a choice. Love requires commitment and regard for the other person’s feelings and you both need to make the choices that sustain and nourish a healthy couple over time.

make sure your priorities match your significant others and I think you will have your answer :oops:

oh and I'm in a similar situation and trying to figure these things out too

I would get out of a warzone like Detroit at all costs.

jerseygirl22 said:
are you in a committed and loving relationship?
Is your significant other both supportive and willing to do things to make the both of you happy.

In my opinion, love is not just a sentiment, it is also a choice. Love requires commitment and regard for the other person’s feelings and you both need to make the choices that sustain and nourish a healthy couple over time.

make sure your priorities match your significant others and I think you will have your answer :oops:

oh and I'm in a similar situation and trying to figure these things out too

savage501 said:

For my significant other, yes.

my best friend's mom is Bonita Stanton-- the director at Wayne State. She is fantastic... i would urge you to go there!

Haha would anyone want to stay in detroit for any reason?

I'm actually in the opposite situation, I'm staying in NYC for my fiance. It made more sense to stay where there was support from him and his family than to pick up and move to a new city. There are many great programs in NYC, but after finishing 10 interviews here, I can't say I love any one program and will rank my top three by location in the city, and not so much by the programs. Good luck.