Life of a First Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eswiles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an undergrad a Baylor right now but am starting at UTSW DPT program in May. I was hoping for some sort of view of the first semester/first year of the program? Especially from UTSW grads or students, but also from others.

What is the schedule like for classes typically for the first semester/year? What do weekends look like for you? How many hours are spent on campus per week? Stuff like that...

Just trying to get a feel for it all...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

"Life of a First Year."

What life?

Reactions: 8 users
You will be studying a lot. If you are not in class, you will be preparing for the next exam or practical. PT school is a job and more because it follows you wherever you go. PT school is like having a 60-hour-a-week job.

However, you will have time to work out and hang out with your classmates. There's no need to study all night and not sleep. You do not have to compromise your health to do well in PT school.

You will have a lot of doubts, you will worry a lot, you will have set backs and disappointments, you might cry, but you will have a lot of accomplishments and success too.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dont know about the 60hr a week job thing...... everyone`s experience will be different..but if you can absorb information well in class you should have plenty of time outside of class to either work a part time job / dedicate weekends to NFL or NCAA haha

Personally, I started PT school after a career change in which I taught elementary school. And I can tell you without a doubt I had SIGNIFICANTLY more free time in PT school than I did when I was teaching 6th grade haha

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks so much! Just trying to get more of an idea of it in my head. Helps a lot

I tend to agree with the 60hr/week schedule. For Our first ( this fall) semester I'm there Monday -Thursday 8-5 and half a day Friday for clinical stuff. Every semester will be different, but your first year is going to be intense. I would definitely treat it as a full time job. Weekends are spent studying some. Usually on sat. Morning so we can watch some football the rest of the day, and a few hours again on Sunday. The more you study the less freaked out you get come test time. It's amazing how that works...

Dont know about the 60hr a week job thing......

I'm thinking you will study or be in class 10 hours a day during the week and then 5 hours a day on Saturday and Sunday. I always have time in the afternoons on the weekends to relax.

Dont know about the 60hr a week job thing...... everyone`s experience will be different..but if you can absorb information well in class you should have plenty of time outside of class to either work a part time job / dedicate weekends to NFL or NCAA haha

Personally, I started PT school after a career change in which I taught elementary school. And I can tell you without a doubt I had SIGNIFICANTLY more free time in PT school than I did when I was teaching 6th grade haha

I also started PT after a career change and agree that I personally had a lot of free time. Good time management was how I made the most of my "school" time and "play" time. Unless I had an exam or practical early in the week, very little time was spent studying over the weekend. Too often when I see these type of threads, the general insinuation/ joke is that you don't/won't/can't have a life in PT school. I don't believe that has to be the case.

Reactions: 1 user
I was an elementary teacher too, and PT school was just as consuming. Lesson plans versus studying/doing PBL-- it's all the same. Now I document instead of writing lesson plans. The transition from teacher to PT was pretty seamless... well, besides all the hard work and determination needed to get through PT school.

There are a number of us SDN people who also tracked our time through school via blogs, which have been interesting to read now and then.

Look, I'm a huge nerd and studied a ton but there is no way it was like a 60 hour work week.

Even on a full day of classes there are breaks, there is lunch, and on the weekend if you think you're still focusing after 8 hour study day probably not doing much good.

Like anything in life - moderation is key. You can get all As and half a life outside of school - yes before exams/practicals youre life sucks but on average it is way less than that.

Reactions: 2 users
Look, I'm a huge nerd and studied a ton but there is no way it was like a 60 hour work week.

Even on a full day of classes there are breaks, there is lunch, and on the weekend if you think you're still focusing after 8 hour study day probably not doing much good.

Like anything in life - moderation is key. You can get all As and half a life outside of school - yes before exams/practicals youre life sucks but on average it is way less than that.

YES! Agree 100%!!! haha
I honestly think some people overstate how much they work / how hard PT school is in order to get attention / praise.
Is PT school difficult? Sure it is. As are most things in life that are worth achieving. It is going to require more work than undergrad / high school because lets face it..to graduate high school all you need is a pulse, and to graduate undergrad you need slightly more than that (depending on the major haha)

However, having worked a job that actually required working close to 60hrs / week on a consistent basis I can say without a doubt my PT school experience came NOWHERE close to that.

YES! Agree 100%!!! haha
I honestly think some people overstate how much they work / how hard PT school is in order to get attention / praise.

However, having worked a job that actually required working close to 60hrs / week on a consistent basis I can say without a doubt my PT school experience came NOWHERE close to that.

I'm just telling you what my life was like in PT school. I'm not seeking the approbation of other SDN members. If you can complete all your assignments and prepare for all your practicals and exams in 40-50 hours a week, that's great. But I know a lot of people who are at school until 6-7pm at night. It's even worse during mid-terms and finals.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started physical therapy school back in May. Strictly looking at the FIRST YEAR, I would agree with the 60-hour week. Speaking with 2nd and 3rd year students in my program, the consensus is that the amount of time spent studying outside of class decreases as you progress through PT school. There are a number of variables that are going to alter each person's physical therapy school experience such as:

• Curriculum
  • Time management
  • Ability to absorb information
  • Educational background
  • Desired grade/level of understanding
The first two semesters of my school's curriculum has foundational classes such as gross anatomy, neuroscience, musculoskeletal physical therapy, and functional anatomy. There are several other classes taken in the first two semesters, but I consider these the most important classes and ones that require a greater degree of study time. In-class lecture/lab time averages about 25 hours per week and I spend about 4-5 hours per day of studying outside of class, this includes weekends. The majority of the folks in my cohort also average about the same amount of study time outside of class.

Beyond the type of classes taken in the first two semesters, I think the biggest determinant in how much time you are dedicating to PT school is the desired grade you want to achieve or your desired level of understanding. I mention level of understanding because some PT schools do not use a grading scale, but simply a pass/fail system. For myself, I demand mastery of concepts. I could spend 10-15 hours less time studying and still pass my courses, but I didn't go to PT school just to pass.

The original question was life of a FIRST YEAR. Speaking from my own experience and that of others in my program, to include 2nd and 3rd year students, you are going to spend a great deal of time studying in that first year. For most students, you are being exposed to new concepts that are going to challenge you to critically think and require you to use more than just rote memorization. The amount of studying required decreases as you progress through the program simply because the information presented is not as foreign as what it was when you first started. With all that being said, even spending 50-60 hours per week studying you still have time to do things outside of school. Personally, I still manage to find time to work out everyday, spend time with my girlfriend/family, relax, and occasionally write a novel of a response on this forum.

Reactions: 5 users
I am an undergrad a Baylor right now but am starting at UTSW DPT program in May. I was hoping for some sort of view of the first semester/first year of the program? Especially from UTSW grads or students, but also from others.

What is the schedule like for classes typically for the first semester/year? What do weekends look like for you? How many hours are spent on campus per week? Stuff like that...

Just trying to get a feel for it all...

Thanks!
I'm also going to UTSW in May!! lol sorry. I was just excited to see another future classmate.

I am currently in my first year and I'm going to be honest...it sucks. I go 5 days a week and when I'm not in class, I'm studying. There is free time but it is scarce. And you may want to use that to sleep. It's mentally and physically draining and overwhelming at times. It is not fun. You have to find a whole new way to study. The professors are wonderful but the material is challenging. It's hard, but you do have a class full of people going through the same thing as you. Each program is different but this is just my honest opinion. I wish someone would have told me how drastic of a life change it is.

First year student here as well, completely agree with pixie

So does everyone concur that in general, first year requires more studying and/or is "more difficult" than 2nd year? That's the exact opposite of what they say about medical school, which I find kind of interesting.

I felt that 2nd year you just more so get used to it haha so it just seems easier

^^^I suppose that's definitely a possibility lol

For us, first year was more memorization intensive. It sucked and we lost a few good people. Most of us got used to assimilating the large quantities of information by the second year but it was also filled with an enormous amount of research/ projects. Third year is kind of a joke in comparison to the first two.

Last edited:
The first year of PT school is kind of like hell but with more exams.

Reactions: 2 users
Most of us got used to assimilating the large quantities of information by the second year but it was also filled with an enormous amount of research/ projects.

Did you think that was better or worse than all the brute memorization?

Did you think that was better or worse than all the brute memorization?

For me, 2nd year was tougher. Research and group projects cut away at study time.

For me, 2nd year was tougher. Research and group projects cut away at study time.

That's true...does the high school/undergrad tradition of every group having someone that refuses to pull their own wait (or the tradition of one or two members doing the whole project) continue in PT school. Geez I hope not...

That's true...does the high school/undergrad tradition of every group having someone that refuses to pull their own wait (or the tradition of one or two members doing the whole project) continue in PT school. Geez I hope not...

It depends. We have one person that doesn't really pull her weight in anything, but we're usually too busy to care. The main issue I've observed are the "too many" leaders thing. Everyone has an idea and direction they want. Then there is the many type A personalities that clash with each other. I'm usually caught in the middle as I'm indifferent to slide backgrounds and themes. As a career changer, I know a little better. No one in the real world cares for those things.

In the first semester, everyone finds out quick who not to work with. That small group usually finds out quick and adjust their behaviors. And then everyone becomes a happy family...The End.

PS- family = supportive but brutally honest.

Last edited:
It depends. We have one person that doesn't really pull her weight in anything, but we're usually too busy to care. The main issue I've observed are the "too many" leaders thing.

The lesser of two evils? I guess...

...I'm indifferent to slide backgrounds and themes. As a career changer, I know a little better. No one in the real word cares for those things.

:laugh:

So does everyone concur that in general, first year requires more studying and/or is "more difficult" than 2nd year? That's the exact opposite of what they say about medical school, which I find kind of interesting.
I've been told that in our program, 2nd year is more difficult than first. Every program will be different.

I thought the 1st year was worse, but I'm on a trimester system and I had a reduced load one term. The 2nd year at my school includes 24 weeks of clinicals, and an equal amount of time of classes. In addition, I was 26 when I started PT school so graduate school was a shock. I struggled to survive.

The 2nd year at my school includes 24 weeks of clinicals, and an equal amount of time of classes.

So does your program have quite a few classes pushed into the 3rd year as well? Because if you were primarily clinical in 3rd year too you'd end up with like 60 weeks of clinicals or something, which is way more than I've seen in any program I've looked at.

No. I meant to say we have 24 weeks of clinicals (total= 24 weeks) in trimesters 4-6 and then another 15 weeks of classes after that. One or two students do another full internship during that last trimester.

First year of PT school...the place that makes you question if this "light at the end of the tunnel" actually exists.

Suck fest. The end. (Like everyone above said, each program is different so I truly believe it depends where you end up....but my experience is insanity. Literally medical school the first semester)