Life of a practicing Dentist???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me know how you think the life of a practicing dentist is like?
And please dont limit your response to just one word--such as, miserable, wealthy, or delightful. Keep it real and tell me about people that you know who are dentists...

Members don't see this ad.

Ash said:
Let me know how you think the life of a practicing dentist is like?
And please dont limit your response to just one word--such as, miserable, wealthy, or delightful. Keep it real and tell me about people that you know who are dentists...
The three adjectives you listed are all equally feasible. There really is no generalized way to describe the life of a practicing dentist. Everyone is different. Many dentists are stressed out but have a thriving practice, others have a lot of difficulty managing the business side of their practice, many are wealthy while many don't ever make what they thought they would, some love every minute of their work and others wonder what they got themselves into, and the list goes on.
You'll be better off asking practicing dentists how their lives are. Everyone here is either only a dental student or a pre-dental student. Ultimately it is a blend of your own personality and tendencies, your skill level, your communication skills, your shrewdness, and a little bit of luck. You can't assume any one else's experiences will mirror your own...

jessUMD said:
The three adjectives you listed are all equally feasible. There really is no generalized way to describe the life of a practicing dentist. Everyone is different. Many dentists are stressed out but have a thriving practice, others have a lot of difficulty managing the business side of their practice, many are wealthy while many don't ever make what they thought they would, some love every minute of their work and others wonder what they got themselves into, and the list goes on.
You'll be better off asking practicing dentists how their lives are. Everyone here is either only a dental student or a pre-dental student. Ultimately it is a blend of your own personality and tendencies, your skill level, your communication skills, your shrewdness, and a little bit of luck. You can't assume any one else's experiences will mirror your own...

Here's my typical work day. Up at 6:15, shower and get the kid up/fed and the dogs up/fed. The Nanny shows up around 7:10, off to the office by 7:20. Get to work about 7:40 read the paper and review the days charts. First patient arrives @ 8. Patienst/hygiene checks from 8 to 1. Lunch with my partner from 1 to 2. patients/hygiene checks from 2 to 5. Charts/paper work until about 5:30, home just before 6 (this is my schedule on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Fridays I just work 8 to 1, and every 2nd or 3rd Tuesday I work 8 to 1 and then drive to UCONN DEntal School and teach from 3 to 5) Off Saturday, Sunday, and Monday each week. Typical work week for me is 29 hours of patient time and then another 1 to 2 hours of paper work/treatment planning time.

When I'm home, I'm home with the family/my recreation activities (skiing in Vermont from December through April, golfing from April through November). I'll typically have to go into the office for an after hours emergency visit 2 or 3 times a year, and might get 1 to 2 after hours calls a month that can be solved with either just verbal reassurance/suggestions or a call to the pharmacy.

All in all, a very relaxing, enjoyable, comfortable lifestyle for me. But, when I'm at work, I'm at work, it can be rather hectic/intense, but when I'm done for the day, work stays at the office, and I have ample fre time to devote to my family :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr jeff

you da man

HD

The Dentist who insipred me to follow his path has three practices all together. He works 6 days of the week and he enjoys every single minute of it. He is very tense at times at work (I know because I assisted him for two years), but like Dr. Jeff says, when he is off, he's like a little kid, loves life and all. I am not even gonna say how much he is making a month with 8 dentists working for him.
I'm sure he is the positive side of the story, but in my opinion, it's all how you make it. As a Dentist, I think you can do whatever you want, work 9days a Week if you want lol, or if you hate it even 3 days a week. One thing for sure though, It's gonna be a good life!

DrJeff said:
Here's my typical work day. Up at 6:15, shower and get the kid up/fed and the dogs up/fed. The Nanny shows up around 7:10, off to the office by 7:20. Get to work about 7:40 read the paper and review the days charts. First patient arrives @ 8. Patienst/hygiene checks from 8 to 1. Lunch with my partner from 1 to 2. patients/hygiene checks from 2 to 5. Charts/paper work until about 5:30, home just before 6 (this is my schedule on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Fridays I just work 8 to 1, and every 2nd or 3rd Tuesday I work 8 to 1 and then drive to UCONN DEntal School and teach from 3 to 5) Off Saturday, Sunday, and Monday each week. Typical work week for me is 29 hours of patient time and then another 1 to 2 hours of paper work/treatment planning time.

When I'm home, I'm home with the family/my recreation activities (skiing in Vermont from December through April, golfing from April through November). I'll typically have to go into the office for an after hours emergency visit 2 or 3 times a year, and might get 1 to 2 after hours calls a month that can be solved with either just verbal reassurance/suggestions or a call to the pharmacy.

All in all, a very relaxing, enjoyable, comfortable lifestyle for me. But, when I'm at work, I'm at work, it can be rather hectic/intense, but when I'm done for the day, work stays at the office, and I have ample fre time to devote to my family :thumbup:
I envy Dr. Jeff :thumbup:

sfdentist/PT said:
I 2nd that!!!!!!!!!!!
One of the dentists I shadowed during the past summer was an endodontist, and followed him around and he told me his pre and post work routine as well.
Monday through Thursday. 6:45am wake up. At work and starting on root canals @8am. Lunch from 12pm-1:45pm. Root Canals from 2pm until 5:30pm. Home around 6pm. Golf, family stuff, and relaxation from Thursday @6pm to Monday @6:45am. ohh....and he makes $400, 000 plus! :)

JakeMUSC said:
One of the dentists I shadowed during the past summer was an endodontist, and followed him around and he told me his pre and post work routine as well.
Monday through Thursday. 6:45am wake up. At work and starting on root canals @8am. Lunch from 12pm-1:45pm. Root Canals from 2pm until 5:30pm. Home around 6pm. Golf, family stuff, and relaxation from Thursday @6pm to Monday @6:45am. ohh....and he makes $400, 000 plus! :)

ABout How Many years does it take for a dentist to run his own practice without having to work for other people. And when i say how many years I mean when the dentists has power in making up his own weekly scheduale and makes an above average income...

There is no set rule for how many years it takes to have your practice. One of the hardest things about dentistry is that once you graduate there is no predetermined path to your career. The advancement of your career is solely based on your own ambition. You don't have to do certain things before you get your own practice, but you just have to feel ready and know that is what you want to do. You could have your own practice right out of school if you wanted. I got my practice 2.5 years after graduating and started making money right away, but I had been looking for over a year before I finally decided.

kist curious since I just decided to go into dentistry. How easy is it to find an associate position out of school. I want to do that to learn from the dentist first, and then have my own practice. Lets say I graduate from UMDNJ. Im kinda worried about that first job. but then again I could be a little paranoid lol. Thanks.

just for comparision.....(yeah I'm gonna get flamed)

This is what the job market looks like, and it just keeps going up and up :cool:
http://www.auntminnie.com/index.asp?
sec=mkt&sub=emp&pag=adv&item_id=20119

Radiology - 911706
Company Name: CompHealth
Title: Radiology - 911706
Brief Description: You Could Have It All! Earn $650,000 in a Beautiful Texas Location,Permanent
Full Description: Permanent Radiology
19 person Radiology group with over 20 years of history seeks a physician fellowship trained in either Body Imaging or MRI. Group covers both hospital and imaging centers.
High earning - $650,000 or more as full partner :) :) :)
Competitive starting salary
1 year to voting partner
12 weeks of vacation as partner :D :D :D :D :D
Outstanding benefits including $45,000 pension contribution
Outstanding coastal location
Stable group with over 20 year history
Learn more about working Permanent jobs with CompHealth

Reply e-mail: Reply to this posting
Ad Submitted On: 4/23/2004
Profession: Radiologist

ummmm... congratulations :rolleyes:

I think I'm going to post something similar about dentistry in some highschool teacher's internet forum somewhere. Surely, that will help me feel validated.

Members don't see this ad :)
12YearOldKid said:
I think I'm going to post something similar about dentistry in some highschool teacher's internet forum somewhere. Surely, that will help me feel validated.

Evil and funny - I must say. =)
But really high school teachers ought to be content with what their making and doing, otherwise they shouldn't be doing it. I was thinking about being a high school teacher, after years of debating and hawing, I fell in love with developmental biology and anything that is difficult - can't see myself doing easy things.

Dr. Steve Urkel said:

This is what the job market looks like, and it just keeps going up and up :cool:

Radiology - 911706
Brief Description: You Could Have It All! Earn $650,000 in a Beautiful Texas Location,Permanent
19 person Radiology group with over 20 years of history seeks a physician fellowship trained in either Body Imaging or MRI. Group covers both hospital and imaging centers.
1 year to voting partner

What is the malpractice insurance per year? I'm sure it's going to slash that salary significantly. Also, do you know how long it takes to get a fellowship in Radiology? Pls think before you start comparing blueberries to watermelons

kenniemd said:
Dr. Steve Urkel said:

Radiology - 911706
1 year to voting partner

What is the malpractice insurance per year? I'm sure it's going to slash that salary significantly. Also, do you know how long it takes to get a fellowship in Radiology? Pls think before you start comparing blueberries to watermelons

Another couple of things to look at are:

1) How long till partnership is offered??

2) What will the partnership buy in cost?? How long will the buy in be??

3) Hours worked per week/call??

Radiology can be a very rewarding/cushy job, but often to get a salry like that, the time it takes to make the big $$ may be quite long with quite a high price tag

Dr Jeff, just out of curiosity, would your lifestyle/workstyle be the same if you were single (minus the kids part)? I mean, with the cost of education nowadays, do you think it is feasible for fresh grads to achieve your comfort level within 3 or so years (for simplicity sake)?

I don't mean to get intrusive on your personal life, but one of my stresses is will I be able to keep Uncle Sam and all the other lenders happy while keeping myself happy? It's great that you the profession allows you so much freedom, but it still worries me.

BTW, what dental organizations are you a part of?

As a practicing dentist I wouldn't worry at all about the cost of education. As long as you get a good education in dental school and constantly try to improve your skills in CE then you will make a good amount of money. The first year is the toughest b/c you don't know anything about anything. But with some experience and talking to people in the dental field the potential is great. However, if you worry about debt dentistry may not be for you b/c to make a great deal of money you have to take on debt. I'm almost 1 million in debt (including my wife's law school loans), 3 years out and very young. However, my dental practice should do 600k this year with about 63% overhead. My advice is to get in to your own practice in years 2-3 and get a underproducing practice and you will do fine.

kenniemd said:

Slash huh?

radiology malpractice from several physicians I have asked is around <20,000 (search ovid)

1 year fellowship

Blueberries could never even equal HALF ofwatermelons that is the reason for this post :) :thumbup:

Actually, malpractice rates are falling, falling, falling :thumbup: So even the above number may be a little on the high end. Plus we dont have to worry about the extra time of taking care of a business or the expenses of operating one like you all do which gives us even more time free. =)

A YEAR AFTER VOTERS APPROVED CAPS ON MEDICAL MALPRACTICE LAWSUITS, TEXAS HOSPITALS AND DOCTORS ARE BEGINNING TO SEE REDUCED INSURANCE COSTS AND FEWER LAWSUITS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Texas Hospital Association said malpractice insurance rates for hospitals fell about eight percent for this year and 17 percent for next year, while a Texas Medical Association (TMA) survey found that the number of lawsuits against hospitals has dropped by 70 percent since the new law went into effect, which caps awards for noneconomic damages at $250,000 per person, reported the San Antonio Express-News.

The TMA said fewer doctors are cutting services and that recruiting doctors to clinical practices in Texas has become easier under the new law: in April 2003, more than half

the doctors surveyed said they had stopped providing high-risk services to patients, while a TMA survey this summer found that only 13 percent said they were reducing services, the Express-News noted. However, the survey found that neurosurgeons, ob/gyns and orthopedic surgeons are still cutting back their services in significant numbers, the

Express-News added.

San Antonio Express-News, August 24, 2004

DrJeff said:
Another couple of things to look at are:
1) How long till partnership is offered??

2) What will the partnership buy in cost?? How long will the buy in be??

3) Hours worked per week/call??

1. 1 year before you become partner
2. You do NOT buy yourself into parternship
3. Hours are not specified, 3months/year vacation sounds good to me though.
I've been with radiologists before and the work load is not that high, if you're good you can be out of there by lunch!

I'm sorry, but this is a dental forum. Could you please not post the salary of a radiologist--you can discuss that in the med forum. Please remember as dentists we aren't trying to compete with physicians which you appear to be doing. We like what we do, we don't want to be MD's.

Gutta Percha said:
I'm sorry, but this is a dental forum. Could you please not post the salary of a radiologist--you can discuss that in the med forum. Please remember as dentists we aren't trying to compete with physicians which you appear to be doing. We like what we do, we don't want to be MD's.

See this is what I find funny. You all go into other forums and state how you have it sooooo good and how you "chose dentistry over medicine" b/c of the "lifestyle", that you really got into MD school but chose dentistry for these reasons. Everytime someone comes in here and gives you an opposing view (1 radiologist salary > 4 dentists salaries) people seem to get "touchy and sentimental" :rolleyes: Some of the previous posters try to find reasons as to how this salary is untrue (malpractice will "slash" that salary, fellowship length) I'm just playing the game you started, if you don't like it then stop playing... :cool:

Dr. Steve Urkel said:
See this is what I find funny. You all go into other forums and state how you have it sooooo good and how you "chose dentistry over medicine" b/c of the "lifestyle", that you really got into MD school but chose dentistry for these reasons. Everytime someone comes in here and gives you an opposing view (1 radiologist salary > 4 dentists salaries) people seem to get "touchy and sentimental" :rolleyes: Some of the previous posters try to find reasons as to how this salary is untrue (malpractice will "slash" that salary, fellowship length) I'm just playing the game you started, if you don't like it then stop playing... :cool:
Maybe you can enlighten us and tell us who exactly has gone into the allopathic forum to gloat that dentistry is "better" than medicine? In fact, I've noticed that it's indeed the other way around. I continually see arrogant physicians and future physicians (this includes you, of course) come into the dental forum gloating about your salary. Well, good for you! I hope you find peace and comfort with all that money. I just don't understand why you have to hijack a thread to spill your guts of what you think of the dental profession and its relevance with radiology. I would've had more respect for you had you started a new thread stating, "I will make more money than your typical dentist." But like all of your predecessors that have made their self-soothing remarks on this forum, you have fallen short to comprehend the main idea of this thread.

Dr. Steve Urkel said:
Ditto the previous poster. I'm calling bull****.

Dr. Steve Urkel said:

I thought it is interesting to see the genesis of a argument within these forums. It turns out that Dr. Urkel (I still respect you) came in the forum to post something about radiology "knowing" with intention that he will be flamed. Now, thank you Dr. Urkel for stirring up a mini-commotion.

At the same time, it's not all him, because kenniemd (who according to his description is in dental surgery) inquired about malpractice cost.

You guys can go on and on about who does what, who's better than what and list the whole comparions. But I just like to remind you how all this started. Now, let's all get out of this personal (if I may use this word) mini-bickering and make efforts toward becoming the best health care providers we can be. Period. I'm done.

I don't think many will dispute that if money is your ultimate career goal then medicine is probably a better choice than dentistry. Medicine simply has more high paying specialties to choose from.

That being said, don't get too discouraged about the income differences. The link Urkel provided was an outlier; a position like that is nowhere near "normal". A more realistic look at physician salaries can be found here: http://www.physicianssearch.com/physician/salary2.html

This survey puts the average salary for rads at $320,000 which is actually less than ortho or endo. Add in the benefits and bonuses of the radiologist and they are probably running neck and neck. If money is really that important to you --- and I hope it isn't ;) --- dentistry can still get it for you. Heck, $300,000 isn't totally out of the question for a busy general dentist.

:D

ItsGavinC said:
Well, a good starting point prior to playing would be your getting accepted to medical school. Then you can play the game. :)

:laugh: :laugh:

ItsGavinC said:
Well, a good starting point prior to playing would be your getting accepted to medical school. Then you can play the game. :)

umm...i'm already in, champ. :cool:

12YearOldKid said:
I don't think many will dispute that if money is your ultimate career goal then medicine is probably a better choice than dentistry. Medicine simply has more high paying specialties to choose from.

That being said, don't get too discouraged about the income differences. The link Urkel provided was an outlier; a position like that is nowhere near "normal". A more realistic look at physician salaries can be found here: http://www.physicianssearch.com/physician/salary2.html

This survey puts the average salary for rads at $320,000 which is actually less than ortho or endo. Add in the benefits and bonuses of the radiologist and they are probably running neck and neck. If money is really that important to you --- and I hope it isn't ;) --- dentistry can still get it for you. Heck, $300,000 isn't totally out of the question for a busy general dentist.

Actually this is the area where I live and this is pretty much average, I know of other private practice physicians pulling in close to a million. Plus you can't beat having 3 months off and still making mor than 2x than that of the "busy general dentist" that STILL has to worry about running his own business....sucks :)

http://www.acinet.org/acinet/occ_rep.asp?soccode=291029&from=&Level=&keyword=&stfips=48&x=48&y=10

According to this, specialists arent making what you say....sorry buddy must have been another ADA quote.... :rolleyes: And I hear that dentistry, unlike medicine, is hard to specialize in b/c there are very few spots for students to do so... same thing with dermatology, its not a hard specialty but there are sooooo few spots that it make it really competitive.

12YearOldKid said:

Not very common huh..... look at this....malpractice is even covered!!!

Sub specialized group is growing.
Company Name: Alpha Medical Group, LLC
Title: Sub specialized group is growing.
Brief Description: Sub specialized group located in North Carolina is expanding and needs an Interventional Radiologist and a Body Imager / MSK Radiologist.
Full Description: Large private group of sub-specialized Radiologists is expanding. Two openings. Need an Interventional Radiologist to join four others and practice 90 - 95% Interventional Radiology. Separate call for IR will be 1:5. Also need an MSK or Body Imager. 80% is available. Mammography is not required for either position. Cover multiple hospitals and five imaging centers, which the group owns. PACS and teleradiology are in place. Need to take internal nighthawk for fourteen nights per year. Benefits include quarterly bonus, malpractice with tail coverage, eight weeks of vacation to start with the opportunity to earn more. Partners receive twelve weeks of vacation. Generous CME stipend, complete insurance package covers everything for you and your family. Relocation. Government maximum is put in for retirement. Partners are earning $600 - 700K++. Beautiful area offers it all. For complete details contact April Taylor, Alpha Medical Group at 800.584.5001 or via e-mail at [email protected]. To view over 140 available opportunities, click here AMG.
Ad Submitted On: 12/28/2004
Position: Partnership Track
SubSpecialities: Interventional Radiology, Musculoskeletal Imaging, Diagnostic
Modalities: Angiography /Interventional, CT, MRI, Ultrasound, General
http://www.auntminnie.com/index.asp?sec=mkt&sub=emp&pag=adv&item_id=24509

Dr. Steve Urkel said:

Brief Description: Sub specialized group located in North Carolina is expanding and needs an Interventional Radiologist and a Body Imager / MSK Radiologist.
Full Description: Large private group of sub-specialized Radiologists is expanding. Two openings. Need an Interventional Radiologist to join four others and practice 90 - 95% Interventional Radiology. Separate call for IR will be 1:5. Also need an MSK or Body Imager. 80% is available. Mammography is not required for either position. Cover multiple hospitals and five imaging centers, which the group owns. PACS and teleradiology are in place. Need to take internal nighthawk for fourteen nights per year. Benefits include quarterly bonus, malpractice with tail coverage, eight weeks of vacation to start with the opportunity to earn more. Partners receive twelve weeks of vacation. Generous CME stipend, complete insurance package covers everything for you and your family. Relocation. Government maximum is put in for retirement. Partners are earning $600 - 700K++. Beautiful area offers it all. For complete details contact April Taylor, Alpha Medical Group at 800.584.5001 or via e-mail at [email protected]. To view over 140 available opportunities, click here AMG.

Dr. Steve Urkel

You are cracking me up. Did you have a falling out with your dentist? There is no doubt that MD/DO specialists can make more money I just don't understand the anomosity. The economics of dentistry are better then medicine thats an economic fact. Dont get me wrong for myself medicine is the place for me and hopefuly "gas" but dentists have done a better job of keeping the third party payer system out of dentistry. The top dentists don't even accept insurance its a fee for service system which was where medicine used to be twenty five years ago. And is today in some areas of elective medicine like plastics and derm. Thus their very high incomes. Now we or MD/DO's are beholden to the insurance companies to dictate what we earn. It is true that some rads make tons of money but most of them are interventional radiologists. They make more because of simple economics. The procedures that they perform have a high payout per hour and they save insurance companies alot of money. Out patient procedures vs. long hosptial stays.
It's simple if you want to work for yourself and set your own hours, deal with the pros and cons of doing this then dentistry is a great profession. If not then medicine is a better choice. I didn't even touch on the fact that rads is very hard to match. If you calculate the FV (future value) of a dental education vs. a medical education it takes about 12-15 years for a MD/DO to catch up and pass a dentists lifetime earnings because of the time for residnecy that a dentist doesn't need. MD's will be lucky to make 50k during residency while a practicing dentist will be making 150k the first year out of school (as an employee) aftco.net. And if they own their own practice then it could be much higher. As you can tell I considered both career paths. Even though the economics and good working hours of a dentist are great on paper average hrs/per week is 37.
I still want to practice medicine and not dentistry. Isn't that what is important in the long run. If you enjoy what you do then you will have a great life. I have two cousins one is a pediatric urologist (kid plumber)the other is a plumber house lol (they are brothers). The plumber is worth more money by a longshot just sold his business for eight figures. They both did what they loved and it worked out great.

I can already tell dr. urkel is going to be a fantastic doctor. I always want doctors who are money obsessed--its a great quality.
Why does everything on this forum have to be about money? If everyone is so obsessed with money then go do something in business b/c CEO's make tons more than we do.

ItsGavinC said:
Just a reminder to all that DMD vs MD threads will not be tolerated. Please keep the discussion on the original subject matter.
How about DMD vs. MD user obsessions? Can we get rid of those too, Gavin? Seriously. Minus one person, this thread goes back to the original purpose it was fulfilling quite nicely.

Dr. Steve Urkel said:

Dr.Steve ,
I cannot believe that someone immature like you is a doctor. You act as if you were a high school student...
By the way I am sure that there are dentists out there who make more money than you do..

Dr. Steve Urkel,

Please refrain from entering into flame wars with other guests. Your recent posts in the Dental forum have contributed nothing to the original topic and have provided ample fodder for flaming.

This warning is in regards to those posts.

Thanks,
G

I guess Galvin didn't like my posts....do I care, no! I have not violated any TOS violations or insulted anyone, all I have stated are facts :) :) If he does not like his/her profession and resorts to doing other things that is laughable really :laugh: Facts are facts. Remember Galvin, TOS does not encompass DMD vs. MD threads....stop making your own laws

Dr. Steve Urkel said:
See this is what I find funny. You all go into other forums and state how you have it sooooo good and how you "chose dentistry over medicine" b/c of the "lifestyle", that you really got into MD school but chose dentistry for these reasonsEverytime someone comes in here and gives you an opposing view (1 radiologist salary > 4 dentists salaries) people seem to get "touchy and sentimental" :rolleyes: Some of the previous posters try to find reasons as to how this salary is untrue (malpractice will "slash" that salary, fellowship length) I'm just playing the game you started, if you don't like it then stop playing... :cool:

I find it funny that you think that someone who wanted to beocme a dentist just could not get into a med school. You can stop gloating, it isnt that hard to get into med school...i have a GPA that would be more than competitive enough to get into a good med school....

I get made fun of by pre-meds at my college because i am choosing dentistry. For example, this girl in my O-chem class laughed at me when i told her what my career plans were. Here's the funny part.... I got an 'A' in O-chem, and all she got was a measly 'C'.....

So enough with the BS, i know you think your some kinda tough guy...but your probably some skinny thin wanker.

Dr. Steve Urkel said:
I guess Galvin didn't like my posts....do I care, no! I have not violated any TOS violations or insulted anyone, all I have stated are facts :) :) If he does not like his/her profession and resorts to doing other things that is laughable really :laugh: Facts are facts. Remember Galvin, TOS does not encompass DMD vs. MD threads....stop making your own laws
Trolling is a violation of the TOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.