Life Plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

braverepub

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So in July I'll have graduated residency and I've already secured a high paying (200+ an hour) community job. I've been thinking long term about my career, and I created this plan, which has everything I want to do in life, summarized. Provide your feedback, please!

Now-2042: Work community jobs
2042-2043: Urgent Care
2043:2044: Cruise medicine
2044: Become a teacher at a local high school, teach current events or civics (I've always wanted to do this)


Anyways, I've budgeted out for this and my first attending job has a nice pension and while I could retire after 30 years, I wanted to continue going and slowly slowed down into a comfortable, more relaxed job doing what I've always wanted to do.

Opinions?
 
wow you plan a long way down the road!
its unlikely that your plan is going to work that smoothly, but if it does more power to you. Doesnt seem to unreasonable , although most EPs switch jobs in the first 2-3 years is my understanding.
 
wow you plan a long way down the road!
its unlikely that your plan is going to work that smoothly, but if it does more power to you. Doesnt seem to unreasonable , although most EPs switch jobs in the first 2-3 years is my understanding.

Make sure you necrobump this thread in 2044. That would be really cool.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why is 30 years so long? I'd only be 59 by then; goal is to retire at 60. My uncle, an EP is 62 and still going strong. Guess each person's a little different.
 
Why is 30 years so long? I'd only be 59 by then; goal is to retire at 60. My uncle, an EP is 62 and still going strong. Guess each person's a little different.

Because 30 years lasts for 30 years. It's not impossible, but it's a long time.

Me, I finished residency at 28, and I intend to work full time until somewhere between 45 & 55. At that point I'll cut back on hours in the ED or maybe pursue my dream of being a high school science teacher who waxes philosophical entirely too often.

In any case, I aint going to be pulling a bunch of overnights in my 60's. If you don't know why, it's because you haven't been there.
 
Last edited:
as the husband of a teacher, let me squash your dream of waxing philosophically in the classroom in this day and age...instead, you will get judged on the same non-sense metrics we do - things you often have very little direct control over! granted, just like I love my job, she also loves hers in spite of the nonsense
 
as the husband of a teacher, let me squash your dream of waxing philosophically in the classroom in this day and age...instead, you will get judged on the same non-sense metrics we do - things you often have very little direct control over! granted, just like I love my job, she also loves hers in spite of the nonsense

Blame the Positivists.