Life s/p Resignation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TaintedDreems

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well.... the first round of SOAP is over and after receiving no contact from programs thus far, I am left to ponder my potential career options. Although I am keeping a fairly positive outlook since the SOAP is not technically over, I am facing the very real possibility that I may never again practice medicine...

This will have been my third Match experience, the first of which, was quite successful in landing me in my first choice program. I am going to refrain from discussing my experience with said program as this is a public forum and I truly don't care to argue whether I was treated fairly or not. So, long story short, I was forced to resign from my categorical position prior to the end of my appointment of agreement. Naively, I believed the program had my best interests in mind and my sheer ignorance of politics and law left me feeling as if I had no choice. Although this decision left me reeling, I remained steadfast in my attempt to continue my medical training to attain my overall goal of becoming a physician. So, I began my second ERAS/NRMP match attempt which, not surprisingly, ultimately ended in a SOAP failure.

In order to boost my CV, I went on a long foray into employment opportunities that could again return me to my previous status at the end of medical school. I began teaching at a community college and tried again this cycle trying for less competitive specialties. Obviously, I am having the same success as my last attempt. Sure, I could try yet again next year, but that would mean that I would be out of medicine for 3 years... really 4 prior to the start of the residency.

I have discussed my case with employment lawyers previously, but didn't want to pursue anything aggressively because I was holding on to the hope of continuing my training, which a lawsuit would certainly have hindered. Presently, it is becoming clearer to me that my professional career has been destroyed.

What I am hoping to get out of this is some advice as to how to proceed. I am already planning on discussing this with an employment lawyer, but to be completely honest, I am not really searching for a payday. What I do want is to expose the program and, subsequently, the program director. After reading some other horrific stories on this network, my desire to exploit this type of situation is stronger than ever. Besides contacting the ACGME, is there any other entity that I could contact to file a complaint or at least explain my situation?

Apologies for the long novel, but as you can see I have had quite some time to think about everything. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Well.... the first round of SOAP is over and after receiving no contact from programs thus far, I am left to ponder my potential career options. Although I am keeping a fairly positive outlook since the SOAP is not technically over, I am facing the very real possibility that I may never again practice medicine...

This will have been my third Match experience, the first of which, was quite successful in landing me in my first choice program. I am going to refrain from discussing my experience with said program as this is a public forum and I truly don't care to argue whether I was treated fairly or not. So, long story short, I was forced to resign from my categorical position prior to the end of my appointment of agreement. Naively, I believed the program had my best interests in mind and my sheer ignorance of politics and law left me feeling as if I had no choice. Although this decision left me reeling, I remained steadfast in my attempt to continue my medical training to attain my overall goal of becoming a physician. So, I began my second ERAS/NRMP match attempt which, not surprisingly, ultimately ended in a SOAP failure.

In order to boost my CV, I went on a long foray into employment opportunities that could again return me to my previous status at the end of medical school. I began teaching at a community college and tried again this cycle trying for less competitive specialties. Obviously, I am having the same success as my last attempt. Sure, I could try yet again next year, but that would mean that I would be out of medicine for 3 years... really 4 prior to the start of the residency.

I have discussed my case with employment lawyers previously, but didn't want to pursue anything aggressively because I was holding on to the hope of continuing my training, which a lawsuit would certainly have hindered. Presently, it is becoming clearer to me that my professional career has been destroyed.

What I am hoping to get out of this is some advice as to how to proceed. I am already planning on discussing this with an employment lawyer, but to be completely honest, I am not really searching for a payday. What I do want is to expose the program and, subsequently, the program director. After reading some other horrific stories on this network, my desire to exploit this type of situation is stronger than ever. Besides contacting the ACGME, is there any other entity that I could contact to file a complaint or at least explain my situation?

Apologies for the long novel, but as you can see I have had quite some time to think about everything. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

If you are sure you cant get back into medicine, then you might as well tell everybody specifically what happened with the program director. If it is egregious enough, maybe you can find a sympathetic media channel to out this person.

Otherwise, I know of no organizations other than the ACGME which would consider your concerns.

Contacting the ACGME is a waste of your time. The ACGME accredits programs. They will not get in the middle of a dispute between a resident and a program. They will not investigate a "malignant" PD. If the current residents at the program complain to the ACGME, then there is some chance that they will do something.

Lawyer up and keep quiet until you are told it is OK to do otherwise.

In ther interim, it really is a matter of fortitude. If you think you can do enough stuff to overcome the mammoth hurdle in front of you, are willing to accept that failure is likely, and really want to do it, you should go for it again. Otherwise your options range from all the things 1 year residency MDs can do (consulting, talking head/name for some sham product, urgent care, research, etc) or starting a new career altogether.