Lifestyle for Inpatient Independent Contractor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mediocre100

Reaction score
I have been in academics for three years now (my first job after residency). I have strongly been considering making the switch to Encompass as an independent contractor mainly due to compensation and having to support a family of 5. I’ve noticed most facilities have 1:3 or 1:4 call and my understanding is that you’re pretty much on call for your own patients 24/7 except for the weekends you are off. My current set up is inpatient/consults with robust resident support so my calls have felt non-existent to be honest. Can anyone with experience at Encompass comment on what the call burden is like from a family-friendly perspective? At first glance, the call seems worse than residency. I know it may differ between facilities but I’m just trying to get a sense of any requirements of having to come back to the unit for urgent issues or if I have to carry a laptop around everywhere I go after work to place orders (or are verbal orders accepted usually?).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1689528366482.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Each Encompass can be set up differently. Some IM is primary and PMR is a consultant. Maybe wait and look for that set up? Having that setup will significantly limit the amount of admit orders and d/c orders you will have to do on cerner.

But most are PMR primary. You will definitely want to have a hospitalist consultation available 24/7. You shouldn’t be woken up overnight for anything rehab related. If you are, you need to educate nursing to wait until morning. IM should cover any medical issues.

But the more you do call and admit patients then technically you will make more money as an independent. So 1:3 or sooner might be ideal if you are income driven.

You will also want to know when the weekend call starts on Friday so that you are not responsible for late night Friday admits. And who will cover you on vacation/sickness and how often they are willing to cover in a year. Also ask if nursing can release admit orders or if they make you get on cerner late at night and release orders when patients arrive.

Overall the calls you get should be mild. If you haven’t worked for encompass before, you will learn that the nursing care is mediocre for the most part. Your academic nursing will be better. You will have frequent traveling nurses, high turnover and high nursing to patient ratio. The therapy is generally superb, but also with high turnover. Also, without a resident, you’ll be spending more time with computer work. The admit/discharge orders and paperwork can be annoying. But pharmacy at least is generally very good and can help with med recs.

As a physician, encompass cares about your productivity and meeting standards. They love to data mine everything. So as long as you follow the rules and put the right stuff in your notes you should be fine. You might also get any type of patient and generally they stay less time than in an academic setting. So generally more patient turnover (8-10 days and they are gone for most). Profit drives their policy and decisions. Which isn’t a bad thing but will be different than academia.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't work for Encompass, but I'm an independent contractor.

At first the 24/7 coverage for my own patients (aside from weekends we're off, so not actually 24/7) sounded daunting. But it keeps things simple. Most calls are quick/simple. It means things get done quicker, better (for the patient), and I know what's going on.

Agree that at this time I would never consider a job that didn't have 24/7 IM coverage. I rarely get woken up overnight. If I do, it's because it's a new nurse who doesn't know when to call IM, or they forgot that you can wait until 8am to give colace (!). And there are the handful of insomniac/breakthrough pain patients, but that's typically easily sorted out ahead of time and with prns.

Academic lifestyle can't be beat in terms of you never having to take call. Except by academic VA. Well, and all the jobs out there with no call, but those usually come with inboxes, and I prefer call to inboxes.

Keep in mind things can vary dramatically between facilities, depending on the quality of your nurses, nurse leadership, and not to mention internists.

Agree with above. The nursing staff at the Encompass I’m working at is pretty great. I am the primary and it’s been smooth. Rarely get called at night. Was a bit scared at first that there were no internists but fortunately there’s an ER across the street so if anything happens there’s that to fall back on. Nursing takes verbal orders which is amazing. Had to transfer a patient and they handled it. Loving it so far.

I was at encompass for a few years. At first I would try to work up chest pain and sob and even went in a couple times. I quickly learned that we couldnt do much at night, no respiratory therapists, no labs, no xray, and many of the nurses have trouble starting an IV. The staffing ratio means one nurse for 7-8 patients. They dont even have time to do q1 neuro checks, vitals, etc. This actually made call pretty easy. With a good admission order set you can have most things covered with PRNs and anything that seems bad, you just send them to ER. You can PM me with any specific questions or to give you a run down on what working for encompass is like. But I must warn you that facilities are different, some are better than others which I learned more about as I met other Encompass physicians.

Reactions: 1 user
@lejeunesage posted about Encompass a couple years ago. Beware

The good:
  • Good money, especially if you have a directorship stipend.
  • Full directors can make 7-10K per month on top of their insurance collections.
  • Associate directors can make $5K a month on top of their insurance collections.
  • Even better money if you're signing up for one of their hospitals that has had trouble recruiting. Sign-on package can be up to 50K, from what I've heard, not including another 15-20K for relocation.
  • If you opt to go the independent contractor route, you set your own vacation time--your vacations are just unpaid.
  • The therapists tend to be really good and trustworthy.
So far so good.

The bad:
  • Lots of pressures to accept inappropriate patients who can't actually participate in therapy, nursing-home type patients who could never in a million years do 3 hours of therapy. Quite often, these patients will be sitting in group therapies, barely awake as the therapists try to desperately get some activity out of them.
  • Lots of suggestions to code for diagnoses that won't impact what you actually do for a patient. What do you actually do differently if the patient has a myopathy?
  • Lots of readmissions of the same patients over and over and over again. If anyone has ever had a stroke and is admitted to the acute care hospital for any other reason (UTI, CHF, pneumonia, etc), they get readmitted to HealthSouth/Encompass for "late effect stroke." As you can imagine for patients with chronic disorders like COPD, CHF, and CKD, this can happen a lot. There is always a reason someone like that will be deconditioned after one their frequent hospitalizations.
  • Lots of patients admitted for "myopathy." Disuse myopathy, critical illness myopathy, uremic myopathy, ________ myopathy. Very, very few of these "myopathies" are supported by the documentation of EMG findings, elevated CK levels, or even proximal more than distal weakness. If they want to admit an old deconditioned person, and they can't say that it's because of a stroke from 5 years ago, they call it "myopathy" and admit the patient. They had to settle out of court and pay Medicare $48 million about 2 years ago. They didn't admit wrongdoing. And the behavior hasn't changed much.
  • Lots of "encephalopathies" coded as brain injury. Patient is admitted to the hospital for UTI-related sepsis and develops some confusion? Great! You can admit him as an "encephalopathy" if they show some confusion at any point during their acute care stay, even if they are back to their mental baseline by the time they get to IPR. Also "encephalopathic" are alcoholics admitted after binge drinking. Many of these patients will have some deficits after being evaluated by therapy in acute care, maybe from the fact that they're still zonked, maybe from Wernicke's encephalopathy. They quickly return to their baseline after detoxing, as they would without therapy. Then the vast majority will go home, drink again, and return for another bout of "encephalopathy" a few months later.
  • Lots of their hospitals have a hard time following the 60/40 rule. It shouldn't be that hard to ensure that 60% of your patients have a CMS-13 diagnosis. But when you're trying to admit every deconditioned old person in town, you're going to run out of that 40% fairly quickly. Hence the incentive to fudge and code people for "strokes," "encephalopathies" and "myopathies."
  • If you make your peace with the system, you will thrive and make $$$. If you decide that you can't in good conscience participate in such a system, you will get tired of refusing patients--who will be admitted by one of your colleagues--and you will eventually leave.
  • The nursing staff can be below average. Some HS facilities will hire one RN per shift--all the rest being LPNs. This saves money, but you can't always count on your nurses to catch things early.
  • The staffing ratios can be atrocious: 6-8 patients per nurse, sometimes more. Not enough nurses aides. Patients complain all the time that it takes them forever to get some assistance when they press the call light. Some will decide that they might as well get up and take themselves to the bathroom. This, of course, increases the fall risk.
Personally, I have decided that I wouldn't work for a system where I wouldn't feel comfortable if my mom were admitted.
Are some of these issues fixable? Sure. If you have a good referral base and little competition in your town, the incentive to admit inappropriate patients will decrease. But my take is that the higher-ups at the company have incorporated admitting inappropriate patients into their business model. They get the money upfront. Then, if Medicare sues, they can hire enough lawyers to settle out of court and pay back part of the money. They still come out ahead. A $48 mil fine is just the cost of doing business.

If you ask me, the best way to see if you want to work somewhere is to do a stint there as a locum tenens. You're never going to see what it's really like on an interview. They're going to butter you up and show you only the good parts. And just like men on a date with a hot woman are often prone to thinking with their nether parts, you're going to be too under the allure of the $$$ to think straight, especially if you're early in your career.

That's my 2 pesos! PM me if you have any preguntas.

Reactions: 5 users
I love the good ol’ CHF myopathy or uremic myopathy. Great if it’s a real diagnosis, but mostly fudged. Plus most of these patients have chronic hip weakness and shoulder problems.

Reactions: 2 users
I think they should invent an xbox myopathy or streaming-service myopathy to cover some of these teenagers I see walking around with b/l Trendelenburg gait. Maybe they can get some inpatient rehab.

Reactions: 4 users
I have been in academics for three years now (my first job after residency). I have strongly been considering making the switch to Encompass as an independent contractor mainly due to compensation and having to support a family of 5. I’ve noticed most facilities have 1:3 or 1:4 call and my understanding is that you’re pretty much on call for your own patients 24/7 except for the weekends you are off. My current set up is inpatient/consults with robust resident support so my calls have felt non-existent to be honest. Can anyone with experience at Encompass comment on what the call burden is like from a family-friendly perspective? At first glance, the call seems worse than residency. I know it may differ between facilities but I’m just trying to get a sense of any requirements of having to come back to the unit for urgent issues or if I have to carry a laptop around everywhere I go after work to place orders (or are verbal orders accepted usually?).
I worked at an Encompass for a few years. Overall it was a fairly positive experience. All the issues you hear about like inappropriate patients, etc. is valid and you can only fight it so much. It really depends on the hospital honestly. You can do verbal phone orders. If someone is unstable you would just send them to the nearest ER assuming you're at a stand alone hospital which most Encompass hospitals are. Pending orders for later admissions and having the nurses initiate them is how you get by without having a computer with you everywhere. Most of the hospitals have IM support some of which take most, if not all of the call. A lot of the IM docs have been "credentialed" as "little" PM&R docs so they can do admissions. It's typically very flexible but you also have to have good people you work with who are willing to help out as they have to cover when you're off. You can take as much time off as you like so long as you have coverage. But you don't make money when you don't work. And you can do work on the side typically without issue. The nurses where I worked were amazing so we barely got called. You also have to comfortable with fluctuations in pay as well as depending on time of the year, census, etc. things can be a bit unpredictable. Need a good accountant and billing company as well as be able to plan for variability.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with above. The nursing staff at the Encompass I’m working at is pretty great. I am the primary and it’s been smooth. Rarely get called at night. Was a bit scared at first that there were no internists but fortunately there’s an ER across the street so if anything happens there’s that to fall back on. Nursing takes verbal orders which is amazing. Had to transfer a patient and they handled it. Loving it so far.
Since you are working as an independent contractor,any suggestions on a freelance biller or a good billing company?

I used canyonmd and was very happy. I would put my billing code at the bottom of every note and they had access (read only) to my notes so would bill based off what I coded. After that they did everything else. I had zero issues.

I used canyonmd and was very happy. I would put my billing code at the bottom of every note and they had access (read only) to my notes so would bill based off what I coded. After that they did everything else. I had zero issues.
What was their rate?