Lifestyle/Income

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
but you have to find a job first and or complete multiple fellowships first. greater than 50% of the graduates waited for six months or more with 11% waiting 12 months or more before.
View attachment 245060
Show me an orthopod, general surgeon, or most other doc who doesn’t do a fellowship? If you’re a boss you can do dermpath and there are tons of jobs-high paying too- for them.

Members don't see this ad.

Show me an orthopod, general surgeon, or most other doc who doesn’t do a fellowship? If you’re a boss you can do dermpath and there are tons of jobs-high paying too- for them.
What about neurosurg, derm, psych, and PMR? I’m sure they have the option but I don’t think most of their grads do a fellowship

Members don't see this ad :)
As opposed to a colorectal surgeon? It won’t impress nurses or people at a bar but honestly who cares? If you do, then yea maybe neurosurgery or ENT is for you.

was really referring to spending your days staring at a microscope. good point on pulling nurses though

What about neurosurg, derm, psych, and PMR? I’m sure they have the option but I don’t think most of their grads do a fellowship
Derm and psych are solid picks for someone looking for a nice lifestyle/income ratio.

PMR and neurosurgery aren’t my cup of tea, but I don’t fault anybody for choosing them. Every specialty has cool aspects IMO.

was really referring to spending your days staring at a microscope. good point on pulling nurses though
Look, I prefer a microscope to wearing XL gloves coated with a mixture of surgilube and poo with an aching back in the GI suite.

Plus things are probably going digital fairly soon in the path world.

Reactions: 1 user
Look, I prefer a microscope to wearing XL gloves coated with a mixture of surgilube and poo with an aching back in the GI suite.

Plus things are probably going digital fairly soon in the path world.
man I'm just messing around. seems like a cool field

man I'm just messing around. seems like a cool field
It’s still medicine and it’s not an easy field, but it has a lot less BS to deal with. Very rare nights, which is almost unheard of in medicine. You kinda have your own domain, too. So, no second guessing from clinicians. Your pager won’t give you PTSD. Fun colors.

Obviously anyone picking it should be aware of the downsides-which are beaten to death on the path forum.

As opposed to a colorectal surgeon? It won’t impress nurses or people at a bar but honestly who cares? If you do, then yea maybe neurosurgery or ENT is for you.
Just omit "colorectal" and you're good to go!

If you like starting your day off with a coffee, uninterrupted lunch breaks, and being a cancer expert- it’s a nice sleeper pick.

Man, you just described my perfect job. No wonder I'm interested in path.

With things going digital too, that's even better. Do you expect that attendings will be able to read slides from home at any point in the near future?

Reactions: 1 users