Lifestyle Issues: Oncology vs. GI vs. Cardio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN friends,

Can anyone comment on the relative lifestyles of these 3 fields, all subspecialities of IM? I would really appreciate.

Warm regards, Frank

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say cardiology probably has the worst lifestyle hands down unless your sole job is echocardiography. Then it's a toss up between GI and Onc. Onc has a lot of inpatient end of life issues while GI get the GI bleeders. Onc and GI spend a larger percentage of time in the outpatient setting than cardiologists who tend to have spend lots of time in the hospital before and after clinic.

No contest. Oncology is the most 9-5ish of these specialties. Be warned though, the feds have reimbursements for chemotx. delivery in their sights for large reductions which will savage the traditional high salary in this field.

Members don't see this ad :)
If these cuts for outpatient chemotherapy do go through, what will the average Oncologist expect to make then? Going from, now, about $225K --> ???

Thanks, Frank

Wow this is the first I've heard about the changes going on the oncology field. Does anyone have any more information? Thanks!

Interesting to see if those reforms came through, no?

Wow necrothread.

Still, in any case, GI, Cards, and Onco all make a good amount of money (starting for GI is 300k in some places, if i recall properly)... onco can be kind of depressing a field but otherwise is a decent 9-6 sort of job. Cards depending on the way you practice can be a really rough lifestyle especially if you're in an academic institution, private practice is much better. GI is cake, work 9-6 most days from what i've seen

Interesting to see if those reforms came through, no?

Oh yes, they came throught all right.

Went from receiving basically retail on drugs administered in office to barely receiving the cost of the drug.

Our Medicare MD rep told us that we should be happy "breaking even" on drugs administered in the office.

Went from receiving basically retail on drugs administered in office to barely receiving the cost of the drug.

Our Medicare MD rep told us that we should be happy "breaking even" on drugs administered in the office.

Happy breaking even? If the government told anybody else, IE welfare recipients, that they would only "break even" they would freak out.

How about government contractors? How many people would still work as consultants for the government if they only covered the cost of gas for the person to get there?

Why Onc still make money comparable to GI and Onco, if drug admin money is gone