Lifestyle of an oral surgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayg103

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I was hoping you could give me your thoughts and experience on what the lifestyle is for an oral surgeon, from residency through practicing? Do you miss out on a lot of events (births, weddings, etc)? Do oral surgeons with an added MD degree have it harder than normal OMS surgeons due to the added medical background? I am curious because I am wavering back and forth as to enter medical school or dental school. I have heard that the dental profession is more laid back and enjoyable, so does oral surgery apply to this assumption? All advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's a GENERAL answer to the lifestyle issue after residency. You can make what you want of it. You can choose to do lots of surgery in the OR and be very involved in hospital dentistry, or you can limit yourself to pulling 3rds all day long.

One option may require you to be on call and work tedious hours. The other option may allow you to work 3-4 days a week. There are options all over the place inbetween those two spectrums.

In GENERAL, however, the lifestyle of the oral surgeon is the worst of all dental specialties.

ok, so oral surgery is the most demanding of all the dental specialties. but is it safe to assume that its lifestyle is less stressful than doing a medical specialty (general surgery, cardiology, etc)? even though oral surgeons are on call and have traumas, they still have a better lifestyles than physicians, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Many if not most oral surgeons ARE physicians.
Of course, whether their lifestyles are "better" or not depends on your criteria of what entails a "good" lifestyle. I would argue that a family physician who makes a decent income and has some free time to spend with his/her family and friends has a lot better lifestyle than an oral surgeon who lives in the hospital.

dientesfuertes said:
Many if not most oral surgeons ARE physicians.

I wouldn't go that far, if fact if it leans in a direction I think it leans towards most OMS guys being single degree holders rather than the dual-degree holders.

Your point is well taken, however.

ayg103 said:
........but is it safe to assume that its lifestyle is less stressful than doing a medical specialty (general surgery, cardiology, etc)? even though oral surgeons are on call and have traumas, they still have a better lifestyles than physicians, right?

No. Go shadow an anesthesiology resident. Or a dermatology or family medicine resident for that matter.

ItsGavinC said:
I wouldn't go that far, if fact if it leans in a direction I think it leans towards most OMS guys being single degree holders rather than the dual-degree holders.

Your point is well taken, however.
OMS GUYS? come on, now. Didn't know they were all men... :rolleyes:

predentchick said:
1 maybe 2 of OMFS instructors at my school are female, not too shabby looking either. I rather have them hold and guide my hand during extraction than a male instructor. The problem was whenever they held my hand, I couldn't stop staring at them!

predentchick said:

Guys: used in plural to refer to the members of a group regardless of sex .

Reactions: 1 user
ayg103 said:
ok, so oral surgery is the most demanding of all the dental specialties. but is it safe to assume that its lifestyle is less stressful than doing a medical specialty (general surgery, cardiology, etc)? even though oral surgeons are on call and have traumas, they still have a better lifestyles than physicians, right?
I think OMS is the best of the surgical specialties as far as lifestyle potential. This is mainly because of the anesthesia training which allows us to stay out of hospitals and operate in our own offices. This can better your "lifestyle" by increasing reimbursement (you can bill for anesthesia) and because office procedures generally allow you to keep 8-5 hours instead of having to round on hospital patients at 6am.

toofache32 said:
I think OMS is the best of the surgical specialties as far as lifestyle potential. This is mainly because of the anesthesia training which allows us to stay out of hospitals and operate in our own offices. This can better your "lifestyle" by increasing imbursement (you can bill for anesthesia) and because office procedures generally allow you to keep 8-5 hours instead of having to round on hospital patients at 6am.

Exactly...Our secret's out!

lnn2 said:
1 maybe 2 of OMFS instructors at my school are female, not too shabby looking either. I rather have them hold and guide my hand during extraction than a male instructor. The problem was whenever they held my hand, I couldn't stop staring at them!
lnn2, those must be residents you're talking about because it's all male here at Pitt.

tjb

Members don't see this ad :)
tjb said:
lnn2, those must be residents you're talking about because it's all male here at Pitt.

tjb
I thought that I had seen one with DMD/MD on her coat but you might be right.

lnn2 said:
I thought that I had seen one with DMD/MD on her coat but you might be right.
They do have DMD/MD on their coats. One is a chief resident and the other is a fifth year resident. They both have completed med school already.

tjb

hi guys..does any one of you know what was the reason behind the death of the Oral surgeon resident at UT Memphis? hope it had nothing do with his program, stress level etc etc :(

predentchick said:

I wasn't using the term to convey gender, but since you brought it up, one CAN say that most oral surgeons are men (in fact, I think the term "most" doesn't even do the situation justice). It's got to be 99.9% men.

ItsGavinC said:
I wasn't using the term to convey gender, but since you brought it up, one CAN say that most oral surgeons are men (in fact, I think the term "most" doesn't even do the situation justice). It's got to be 99.9% men.

honestly, 99.9%. As a moderator you'd assume one would think before they posted.

Reactions: 1 user
omfsapplicant said:
honestly, 99.9%. As a moderator you'd assume one would think before they posted.
No kidding. On the ******ed-posts-o-meter, it's gotta be right up there with implicitly labeling a mod thoughtless & stupid, or claiming it's a crime to trade services with somebody.

omfsapplicant said:

Was something wrong with that? "99.9%" is a cliche often used to point out that a situation is nearly without exception. Are you implying that it isn't a completely and utterly male-dominated field (as are nearly all surgery fields)?

But out of curiosity, how many oral surgeons are their in the US, and how many are female?

aphistis said:
No kidding. On the ******ed-posts-o-meter, it's gotta be right up there with implicitly labeling a mod thoughtless & stupid, or claiming it's a crime to trade services with somebody.

******ed-posts-o-ometer, wow. strong work

aphistis said:

Well Gavin cited his source and is pretty close on the percentage. Maybe you should reconsider whose post is ******ed Bill.

LSR1979 said:
Well Gavin cited his source and is pretty close on the percentage. Maybe you should reconsider whose post is ******ed Bill.
I think you're misinterpreting my post. ;) I'm definitely siding with Gavin, for the reasons you cite.

LSR1979 said:

it's a questionable source at best, don't believe everything you read.

ItsGavinC said:
Of course, your lack of any source at all is much better. :D

The AAOMS currently has 7,000 members (http://www.aaoms.org/aboutus.cfm) and 5 years ago there were only 180 female AAOMS members (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10513872&dopt=Abstract).

Do you really think that number has increased significantly in the past 5 years?

Your learning, glad to see your teachable. So you figured out that the first step is citing peer-reviewed journals. Now, the next step is bing able to analyze these articles, a bit harder. Maybe one day, if you keep trying, you'll act like a dr.

omfsapplicant said:
Your learning, glad to see your teachable. So you figured out that the first step is citing peer-reviewed journals. Now, the next step is bing able to analyze these articles, a bit harder. Maybe one day, if you keep trying, you'll act like a dr.
Whoa!!! Chill.... Let's settle down here. :eek:

I would like to first say this to omfsapplicant:

[TOS violation]

ok are you happy now? you got a reaction out of your posts.

Can you stop harrassing the MOD who has always tried to help all of us SDNers out. He is providing sources, why dont you learn to read.

WHERE R YOUR sources??? Youre all talk, shut that hole in your head.

one last question - r u a feminist? i'm getting that vibe.

PM me if u have any comments or issues with me

omfsapplicant said:

ItsGavinC said:
Come on guys (er, and girls :D) , let's have a good discussion without the personal attacks.
I think the best way to encourage that would be, er, "enucleating" the one person causing all the trouble.