lifestyle question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'm a 3rd year MS trying to decide what exactly I want to go into. The top two choices for me right now are neonatology and pediatrics cardio. Can someone give me some insight in how long the training is for each? How is the lifestyle for each of those specialties? Do I have to apply to those programs at the same time I apply to the general pediatrics residency programs next year? Thank you so much for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 3rd year MS trying to decide what exactly I want to go into. The top two choices for me right now are neonatology and pediatrics cardio. Can someone give me some insight in how long the training is for each? How is the lifestyle for each of those specialties? Do I have to apply to those programs at the same time I apply to the general pediatrics residency programs next year? Thank you so much for any advice!
I can give you some insight into the training. I'll leave the lifestyle question to those who know better.

Both are 3 year fellowships that follow a pediatric residency. Generally speaking, fellowships are applied for during the 2nd year of residency. I think Cards might be earlier than Neo, but don't know the specifics.

Plenty of time to decide. :)