Lifestyle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DBR

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I have just a few questions about the EM lifestyle.

1. I was wondering how many hours I would be required to work as an EM doc. Id like to not work more than 45 hours a week (really ideally no more than 40) and have a life outside of work.

2. How hard is it to get a position as an EM doc in a nice private suburban hospital? What factors play into this? Residency etc... Id like to work in a nice environment without too many GSW and other crazy ****. Additionally I would be less likely to be exposed to epidemic diseases in a non-urban hospital where the population density is lower.

I am considering EM as a specialty because it interests me, I would not have to bust my *** for AOA (ER is moderately but not super competitive), and I would not have to bust my *** working a **** ton of hours.
From what ive heard this is a common reason for going into this specialty.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone that responded actually an EM doc or are you all still naive, idealistic med students / pre meds? Im guessing the latter.

Is anyone that responded actually an EM doc or are you all still naive, idealistic med students / pre meds? Im guessing the latter.

The mods have banned anyone but naive, idealistic pre-meds from this area of the forums.

Sounds like EM is the perfect specialty for you. Did you know that it's actually not even technically a specialty? We have found that glorified triage nurses can do the job just as well.

troll.jpg

:laugh:

Classic!

Now back to the action:

:corny:

and please tell me you didn't get into med school!

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess he/she changed their mind about derm. Wasn't good enough for them.

How did he/she reach 90-something posts? Amazing...won't last long I'm sure.

How many letters have been guessed already? So far I have

F---- McF---- -----

I'd like to buy a vowel.. a Y... (since it is sorta a half vowel, half consonant, is it only half price?)

That gives us

F---Y McF---Y -----

How many letters have been guessed already? So far I have

F---- McF---- -----

I'd like to buy a vowel.. a Y... (since it is sorta a half vowel, half consonant, is it only half price?)

That gives us

F---Y McF---Y -----

Ohh, ohh...I want "t"...that'll score me a bunch!

I'm going to answer your question, although not with the answer you want to hear...

Anyone who is thinking about going into EM because of the number of hours and because they don't want to have to
bust my *** for AOA (ER is moderately but not super competitive), and I would not have to bust my *** working a **** ton of hours.
needs to avoid EM and potentially all of medicine. I certainly don't want to be working next to a lazy *** who thought it was better to learn just enough to get through medical school.

And with that, Pat, can I get a Q? (Why is there never a damn Q?)

Ooooh! Ooooh!

I want to play...

Is it Lupus?

-R

For iatros:

F-TTY McF-TTY ---T-

Sorry badmd, no 'q' this time. Maybe next time we can squeeze it in there...

and I want the all-famous "s"

YIELDS: F-TTY McF-TTY ---TS

Hello I have just a few questions about the EM lifestyle.

1. I was wondering how many hours I would be required to work as an EM doc. Id like to not work more than 45 hours a week (really ideally no more than 40) and have a life outside of work.

2. How hard is it to get a position as an EM doc in a nice private suburban hospital? What factors play into this? Residency etc... Id like to work in a nice environment without too many GSW and other crazy ****. Additionally I would be less likely to be exposed to epidemic diseases in a non-urban hospital where the population density is lower.

I am considering EM as a specialty because it interests me, I would not have to bust my *** for AOA (ER is moderately but not super competitive), and I would not have to bust my *** working a **** ton of hours.
From what ive heard this is a common reason for going into this specialty.

Thanks.

Maybe you should go into PMNR and open a Fibromyalgia clinic.

Or get one of these, a retail space, and hang a shingle:

LaserPeelErbiumL.jpg

(Laser skin peel machine)

I want the vitamin pack

So you're all saying I'm going into the wrong field? I thought I could practice scuba/skydiving/bush medicine 40 days per month, and only pull 1/2 shift every couple weeks to make ends meet. Especially at those cush hospitals where I can sleep at night because there aren't any patients.

Ooh, ooh, ooh - me next!

I'll take "P" please!

At your request dchristismi:

F-TTY McF-TTY P--TS

At your request dchristismi:

F-TTY McF-TTY P--TS

I want to buy a vowel but I don't have any money (just signed up for step 2:laugh:) Can I take (another) loan out from the bank to buy an "A?"

I want to buy a vowel but I don't have any money (just signed up for step 2:laugh:) Can I take (another) loan out from the bank to buy an "A?"

The OP said he/she would lend you some money since they are going to be making easy money.

FATTY McFATTY PA-TS

The OP said he/she would lend you some money since they are going to be making easy money.

FATTY McFATTY PA-TS

Id like to solve the puzzle...

"Fatty McFatty Parts?"

So you're all saying I'm going into the wrong field? I thought I could practice scuba/skydiving/bush medicine 40 days per month, and only pull 1/2 shift every couple weeks to make ends meet. Especially at those cush hospitals where I can sleep at night because there aren't any patients.

It depends, how many months out of the year do you want to be doing international service?

w3rd to that, brother.

"I'd like to solve the puzzle, Pat."

What is "FATTY McFATTY PANTS"?

w3rd to that, brother.

"I'd like to solve the puzzle, Pat."

What is "FATTY McFATTY PANTS"?

Mixing metaphors is one thing.. but mixing game shows?

Shouldn't it be "Who is..." anyway?

Or maybe I'm confused again!

Regardless, great match everyone!

jd

Shouldn't be a question at all... should be a proudly declared statement. One made, preferably, while smashing an angry fist on a podium while wearing a military uniform.

I think it's a pretty honest question. I've been out of residency for 5 years and really enjoy the flexibility of the ER lifestyle. I think 40 hours a week is probably on the higher end of most ER docs, but I work at a large HMO in California and that is what is expected more or less 32-36 hours per week for full time benefits. I think there are excellent opportunities in suburban communities where you will not be inundated with trauma/violence/substance abuse and psych... you'll probably get as much as you want of that in residency. I don't know why all the other responses are so strange...

I think it's a pretty honest question. I've been out of residency for 5 years and really enjoy the flexibility of the ER lifestyle. I think 40 hours a week is probably on the higher end of most ER docs, but I work at a large HMO in California and that is what is expected more or less 32-36 hours per week for full time benefits. I think there are excellent opportunities in suburban communities where you will not be inundated with trauma/violence/substance abuse and psych... you'll probably get as much as you want of that in residency. I don't know why all the other responses are so strange...

You must be new to the forum...welcome, it's good to have another poster here.

The responses are strange because this question is asked a thousand times per week and we get bored with factual responses...what can we say, we're easily distracted.

Good post though :thumbup:

I thought we covered that... The ANA was negative. It's not Lupus!

C'mon... Someone help me out with a giant picture.:laugh:

(shrug) OK

Attachments

• ATG.jpg
    ATG.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 54
The responses are strange because this question is asked a thousand times per week and we get bored with factual responses...what can we say, we're easily distracted.

Plus we don't want everyone to know our secrets.....ooooh shiny.....let's ride bikes!

Plus we don't want everyone to know our secrets.....ooooh shiny.....let's ride bikes!

well, there's that too...did someone say something about shiny bikes?!

well, there's that too...did someone say something about shiny bikes?!

:hello:

I saw lightning, not a shiny bike. Or maybe it was hit by the lightning...

Ahhh....DUDE,

EM is perceived as being easy, but guess what, the schedule can be devastating to some. Yah, you work less hours in total, but you also have to do 8 to 12 hour shifts that are usually random. Second, there are days where you can be doing really nothing for 8 to 12 hours, but then, there ARE days when you wish you probably weren't the guy/gal on the shift. Being an EM doc is not necessarily easy unless it fits who you are.

Personally, I don't know if it fits me, but for a while now, gas is not the right thing for me more so educational reasons. Oh and let me point out, anesthesia is not a lifestyle specialty to people in it. We just like EM may not get calls once we're off the shift or whatever, but when we're on, we may need diapers from time to time. When was the last time you heard of a freaked out derm resident? Maybe when scabies suddenly started flying at them.

Any ***** student should get this through their heads. All specialties minus ones like derm, path, and occupational medicine have to deal with cr3ppy situations. IM has to manage like 20 people. ER well, work in a damn ER for 12 straight hours and figure it out yourself. Anesthesia is critical care one on one (unless your some idiot CRNA who thinks it's just a tube and some gas). Radiology call can be brutal and there is a lot to know about the image. List goes on.

PICK DERM if you're lazy. I know many times I think that I should have after being a resident. You don't get it until you are in the trenches. If I could find a spot :rolleyes:....

Ahhh....DUDE,

EM is perceived as being easy, but guess what, the schedule can be devastating to some. Yah, you work less hours in total, but you also have to do 8 to 12 hour shifts that are usually random. Second, there are days where you can be doing really nothing for 8 to 12 hours, but then, there ARE days when you wish you probably weren't the guy/gal on the shift. Being an EM doc is not necessarily easy unless it fits who you are.

Personally, I don't know if it fits me, but for a while now, gas is not the right thing for me more so educational reasons. Oh and let me point out, anesthesia is not a lifestyle specialty to people in it. We just like EM may not get calls once we're off the shift or whatever, but when we're on, we may need diapers from time to time. When was the last time you heard of a freaked out derm resident? Maybe when scabies suddenly started flying at them.

Any ***** student should get this through their heads. All specialties minus ones like derm, path, and occupational medicine have to deal with cr3ppy situations. IM has to manage like 20 people. ER well, work in a damn ER for 12 straight hours and figure it out yourself. Anesthesia is critical care one on one (unless your some idiot CRNA who thinks it's just a tube and some gas). Radiology call can be brutal and there is a lot to know about the image. List goes on.
PICK DERM if you're lazy. I know many times I think that I should have after being a resident. You don't get it until you are in the trenches. If I could find a spot :rolleyes:....

:thumbup: Sticky! :thumbup:

AHAHAHAAH! :laugh:

and now, my skin begins to itch.

thanks a lot!

and btw, derm residents freak out when they come to the ED for their mandatory rotation and have to deal with an IWMI who goes into a v-fib arrest as the cath lab people are getting ready to wheel him down (well, not a derm resident, but a trad. rotating who was going to be a PMNR doc, but still, just about the same).