Lifetime certification specialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NP545

Are there any lifetime certification doctors/specialties?

I know, most of them require board re-certifications after every 10 years or so, but wanted to know if there are any with lifetime certs?

Also, what happens if an already board certified doctor fails his re-certification exam after 10 years? About how long would they have to wait to re-take? Is it hard to fail after being certified the first time?

Members don't see this ad.

I know, most of them require board re-certifications after every 10 years or so, but wanted to know if there are any with lifetime certs?

Also, what happens if an already board certified doctor fails his re-certification exam after 10 years? About how long would they have to wait to re-take? Is it hard to fail after being certified the first time?

Shouldn't you work on getting into med school first?

Reactions: 3 users
Shouldn't you work on getting into med school first?
"Know everything you can about being a physician before jumping into things"
"Why are you asking about that, worry about that when you are a physician, it doesn't help you to know now"

This mixed message brought to you by SDN. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm fairly certain that every specialty now requires recertification. Not all docs have to do it, as some were grandfathered into the lifetime certification, but I'm pretty sure every new doc does now.

If you don't recertify, you are no longer board certified. In some cases, this doesn't really matter, but it can potentially affect insurance reimbursements or getting another job.

You're already worrying about failing recertification? If you fail then maybe you shouldn't be seeing patients.

Any field of medicine will require you to be a lifelong learner. You will need to keep relatively uptodate on changes in any field. If you don't want that then I would consider a different field.

No specialty is lifetime certified when they finish residency. No more lifetime certifications are being given out and has been that way for a few decades now.

Reactions: 1 user
"Know everything you can about being a physician before jumping into things"
"Why are you asking about that, worry about that when you are a physician, it doesn't help you to know now"

This mixed message brought to you by SDN. :rolleyes:
I doubt those messages are from the same person. The problem is people ask the questions on the wrong ****, rather than the things they should be asking it on.

Reactions: 1 user