Light courseload

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pk62281

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just checked my college transcript after being out of school for 7 years. I forgot how light my courseload was. My courseload ranges from 12-15 hours, with a lot of them 12 hours. I took classes over the summer to make up for it. Btw, I studied engineering, and managed to also get a minor in computer science. I graduated in 4.5 years. My GPA isn't great either. 3.23.

Anyway, I tried making up for this by taking 6 hours of classes in a compressed 8 week schedule (orgo 1 and microbio) and got A's in both, all while working full time at my current job as an engineer. It was rough, but I'm more mature now, and it worked out. I briefly mention this in my PS.

I feel like it looks pretty bad. What do you guys think? Anybody in a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I too was an engineering major (biological systems engr) out for 6 years. However, my GPA was much worse (2.79). I had to take two years (72 hours) of straight bio and chem courses to bring it up to 3.15 (one B).

So long as your have everything else in order (DAT, volunteer hours, shadowing, etc.) you should be fine.