Light Sleepers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

killinsound

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So over the course of these last couple of months, I feel that my studying is inhibited by only one thing... a bad night's sleep. If I'm tired, I can't study, and frankly, I don't feel like studying when I'm tired. The thing is, I'm an extremely light sleeper. I sleep with ear plugs.

Any advice to getting better sleep!?

Members don't see this ad.

So over the course of these last couple of months, I feel that my studying is inhibited by only one thing... a bad night's sleep. If I'm tired, I can't study, and frankly, I don't feel like studying when I'm tired. The thing is, I'm an extremely light sleeper. I sleep with ear plugs.

hmm... that's interesting. there's a variety of sleep enhancing meds out there, though some are habit forming and some are going to knock you out for a good 8 hours (which you might not always be able to afford).

I've heard that clearing your mind before sleeping will help you go down faster so perhaps just sitting there focusing on your breathing for a few minutes might help you.

I have a real hard time falling asleep. But the week before the MCAT I made myself get up at 7am and get into bed by 11pm. It really helped me and I ended up getting an awesome night's sleep the night before the 'CAT

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above remarks. I think that you might need to stop studying an hour or so before going to sleep. During that time, watch TV, read or do anything to take your mind off of what you were studying.
Your mind needs time to unwind, and even if you relax for 15 minutes before hitting the pillow, your mind is still wound up from studying and that translates to a rough night's (tossing, turning, light sleeping) sleep. Also, try exercising mid-afternoon/late afternoon, maybe less caffeine or drinking something to relax you before bed. Before the MCAT, a family friend recommended Yogi Tea (name?? bed time tea) and it really helped me relax. :luck:

I have the same problem, compounded with a heavy upstairs neighbor who seems to think that treading back and forth all over the creaky floor is a great idea at midnight. :rolleyes: You might try getting something that will make white noise and playing that at low volume. If it's hot, you could use a portable fan, for example, or maybe a radio on low volume but not set to any station.

i had the same q and a sleep doc i know gave me an answer that really works for me; she told me to check into some meditation/stress relief/mindfulness practice stuff... kinda weird, but after getting over the stupid feeling, it works. of course, i don't tell all my friends this or let them see me do it, but a good 15 min of meditating on my breathing calms me and relaxes my muscles and gives me the best sleep ever.

then some ppl do the thing where you tense one muscle group for 15 secs and move up your entire body... i guess just to relax your muscles.:thumbup:

I have the same problem, compounded with a heavy upstairs neighbor who seems to think that treading back and forth all over the creaky floor is a great idea at midnight. :rolleyes: You might try getting something that will make white noise and playing that at low volume. If it's hot, you could use a portable fan, for example, or maybe a radio on low volume but not set to any station.

ooo i'm gonna try that tonight! thanks Q!

I have a guy like that above me too! On top of that he started turning on his TV really loudly at 2 AM and I kept waking up to gunshots or Shoprite commercials or something. I finally had to confront the guy and he said he worked nights so he used the TV as his alarm clock. Go figure. Anyway, it's much more peaceful now, but I still can't fall asleep because I have equations running through my head when I hit the pillow.

I don't know where I read this but what helps is if you consciously make sure the tip of your tongue does not touch the inside of your mouth. I actually found this helps if you count backwards from 1,000 at the same time.
....Man, I hope SDNers won't lock me up now :scared:

I don't know where I read this but what helps is if you consciously make sure the tip of your tongue does not touch the inside of your mouth. I actually found this helps if you count backwards from 1,000 at the same time.
....Man, I hope SDNers won't lock me up now :scared:

Those are really interesting habbits... going to try them tonight.

I've also heard that it's a good idea to avoid studying on your bed or even in your bedroom. The bed/bedroom should be associated with sleep and not with studying.

If you don't want to take drugs, try a warm glass of milk a good 30 min or so before you go to bed. Also, exercising at some point (jogging 30 min, etc.) helps you at night b/c you are...well...exhausted.

On the night of the MCAT, I was really stressed (obviously), so I ended up taking a Tylenol PM, which got me at least 1 REM cycle of sleep. My test performance did not suffer as a result.

Hope this helps.

I deleted what I said before because I just realized that you already sleep with earplugs...which was what I was going to recommend