Light therapy boxes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firedoor

let it bleed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good light therapy unit?

Members don't see this ad.

I tell patients to go buy their own.

http://www.google.com/search?source...gc.r_pw.&fp=c0cb5ce09c233542&biw=1366&bih=667

From our end, I've seen no evidence that one brand is better than the other. It's all about getting the right amount of lux. Further, some of these lamps are portable, some aren't, it's better for the patient to decide which one is best for them so long as they meet the guidelines for treatment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where I'm at, SAD is more common. In all of the areas where there's lake-effect weather, I'd recommend all doctors screen for SAD because it's just so common in those parts.

Where I'm at, SAD is more common. In all of the areas where there's lake-effect weather, I'd recommend all doctors screen for SAD because it's just so common in those parts.

It's not about # overcast days (lake-effect), it's about hours of light at higher latitudes. True SAD really starts showing up in late October-early December as the daylight hours shorten. Being "sick of winter" in February is cabin fever and adjustment-disorder-spectrum stuff, not SAD.

And don't forget to screen Vitamin D--or just treat presumptively...it's cheaper.

Treatment: U-haul to Tucson.

You can screen for Vit-D, but supplementation hasn't been shown to help. I've never seen a RCT that has shown supplementation in SAD makes a difference. If there is, please let me know. I think most folks have low levels of Vit D because we are cave dwellers and there is a correlation between SAD and vit-d by the fact that these folks are not in the sun much, but no evidence of causation.

I've heard of negative ion generators for the treatment of SAD. I can't even pretend to know what they're talking about.

http://blog.watershed.net/2009/05/25/seasonal-affective-disorder-sad-2/

tldr: some of you said it's the amount of lux that matters, but this blue light seems like it might also be effective. what do you think?

I think exactly what you said, the lux matters, nothing else. The color does not matter. I would probably rather have a blue one because, hey, blue is pretty.