Like OJ - Taking the 5th...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clipse

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone knows that there are several major hurdles to being accepted into a selective specialty program: class rank, NDBE scores, and research experience/letters of recommendation.

If one wanted to shift the scale to their benefit, wouldn't it be greatly advantegeous to extend the traditional first two years of dental school into three years? Taking an additional year would give the student a greater amount of time to study and research, for they would have a significantly lighter didactic course load than their classmates who are in the traditional program. In my opinion, it would almost be unfair to rank somebody who was taking a lighter courseload amongst students that were taking more credit hours for they are not on even playing fields. The same holds for NDBE scores.

How do specialty programs view students who took five years to complete dental school? Do they not care as long as the hurdles have been passed? Does anyone know somebody who took five years to graduate, with the objective to specialize? What are the pros/cons of taking five years to graduate, besides additional tuition? These types of five year programs exist at several schools including Harvard and UMDNJ.

Thanks to all who share their knowledge. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Clipse said:
Everyone knows that there are several major hurdles to being accepted into a selective specialty program: class rank, NDBE scores, and research experience/letters of recommendation.

If one wanted to shift the scale to their benefit, wouldn't it be greatly advantegeous to extend the traditional first two years of dental school into three years? Taking an additional year would give the student a greater amount of time to study and research, for they would have a significantly lighter didactic course load than their classmates who are in the traditional program. In my opinion, it would almost be unfair to rank somebody who was taking a lighter courseload amongst students that were taking more credit hours for they are not on even playing fields. The same holds for NDBE scores.

How do specialty programs view students who took five years to complete dental school? Do they not care as long as the hurdles have been passed? Does anyone know somebody who took five years to graduate, with the objective to specialize? What are the pros/cons of taking five years to graduate, besides additional tuition? These types of five year programs exist at several schools including Harvard and UMDNJ.

Thanks to all who share their knowledge. :D

i thought harvard was the only one with a 5 year program (similar to most european schools) but i didnt know UMDNJ was in too....
if a 5 year program has to be made the standard in the US, may be we need to cut down 1 year from our college, but all these hypothetical talks lead to no where..the system will exist the way it is.... :D

After one year of d-schoool, I took the NBDE on the 11th and I personally feel it was advantageous to take it SOONER than most schools. Although a "lighter" schedule could make research easier, I doubt that NBDE scores would be significantly different with three years of didactic.

If I were to take five years, I would hope to do research at NIH...that looks like a great program.

Members don't see this ad :)
But wouldn't a fifth year allot you more time to study for your boards? Also, you would have more time to dedicate to your didactic course work which would hopefully give your a greater understanding - thus leading to a higher class rank and board score.

Does anyone know when UMDNJ takes their boards? Has anyone began preparing for their boards a year-or-more in advance by flat our memorizing the Dental Decks, word for word before they completed the particular course?

Keep the great input coming.

Unless you go to a program with a specified 5 yr option, you're not going to be able to extend your school an extra yr just because you want more time to study. The only students that take an extra yr are those that either fail or have extenuating circumstances. As ideal as it sounds, I highly doubt anyone would do significantly better in their grades or ranking by spreading out their classes. It's just the nature of human procrastination. Moreover, residency programs have plenty of applicants that do very well in 4 yr programs.

I don't know of anyone that spent a year studying for the boards. There's just no need. Everyone I know of that did quite well studied for about a month give or take a couple weeks. Any longer than that and you reach a point of diminishing returns. For me, I got what I wanted after studying hard for a month. Maybe I could have bumped it up 1 point if I studied an additional 1 or 2 months. But in the great scheme of things, it won't matter. Besides, you've got more important things to do like study for classes or clinic.

simpledoc said:
i thought harvard was the only one with a 5 year program (similar to most european schools) but i didnt know UMDNJ was in too....
Harvard's program is 4 years.

From the 42nd Edition of the ADEA Official Guide To Dental Schools for Harvard School Of Dental Medicine, under the heading Other Programs "Optional Five-Year D.M.D. for students interested in research, international health, etc."

I recognize that the additional year may be a waste if it was lost to procrastination... but if one had the self discipline to use this "extra" time to conduct meaningful research or score incredibly well in every class would it be worth it?

simpledoc said:
if a 5 year program has to be made the standard in the US, may be we need to cut down 1 year from our college, but all these hypothetical talks lead to no where..the system will exist the way it is.... :D

(similar to most european schools)
Some European schools have 6 year Dental Programs, but ofcourse those systems are different, after high school...........6 year Dental School...........DDS., so in a way less years but if u count that one has to do also 2 or 3 year Advanced Standing, than is MORE>
jojo-Z

Clipse said:
I recognize that the additional year may be a waste if it was lost to procrastination... but if one had the self discipline to use this "extra" time to conduct meaningful research or score incredibly well in every class would it be worth it?

If you wanted to take a yr off and do research, for example at NIH, then yes. Most schools will allow you to do this. To take an extra year to take fewer classes or for more time to study for the boards, no. It's a moot point anyway, because I highly doubt schools advertising a 5 yr option intend it to be used the way you're suggesting. No school is going to allow you to pick and choose your classes like college. I suppose you could take a year off to study for boards, but IMO you're wasting your time. If you can't get the numbers you want in 1-2 months, you won't get it in 1 year. As I said earlier, residency programs have plenty of applicants with great numbers that do it in 4 yrs. Why would they want to interview someone who dragged their heels through the early part of dental school to gain an advantage over their peers? You're talking about the ultimate gunner. What specialty program wants that?

DDSSlave said:
If you wanted to take a yr off and do research, for example at NIH, then yes. Most schools will allow you to do this. To take an extra year to take fewer classes or for more time to study for the boards, no. It's a moot point anyway, because I highly doubt schools advertising a 5 yr option intend it to be used the way you're suggesting. No school is going to allow you to pick and choose your classes like college. I suppose you could take a year off to study for boards, but IMO you're wasting your time. If you can't get the numbers you want in 1-2 months, you won't get it in 1 year. As I said earlier, residency programs have plenty of applicants with great numbers that do it in 4 yrs. Why would they want to interview someone who dragged their heels through the early part of dental school to gain an advantage over their peers? You're talking about the ultimate gunner. What specialty program wants that?

Good points! I'm not sure about Harvard, but from UMDNJ's student handbook:

"Recognizing that students learn and assimilate information at varying rates, the UMDNJ-NJDS has developed a Five Year Program which allows a student the opportunity to successfully complete the four-year curriculum in five calendar years. The program is designed so that the schedule of the first two academic years is expanded into three calendar years; the last two years are identical to those of the four-year schedule. This program can be entered no later than the end of the Winter trimester of the first year."

Any other thoughts?

Graduate in 4 yrs.