Likelihood of test postponed d/t COVID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blatauthoshunt42

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm scheduled to take Step 1/COMLEX mid- to end- of May. What's the likelihood these tests get postponed?

I could use like 2 more weeks tbh.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I'm fully planning on taking both my Step/Level 2 on 05/05 & 05/08. This is based on the source I've been looking at for the US estimated "peaks" for COVID. I'm just a medical student like you though; interpret the data as you will.

If you for sure need a couple weeks I would just reschedule now. There's a lot of stress built up to taking the exams; you don't want to have to go through that twice in the event your testing center doesn't cancel examinations for May.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm fully planning on taking both my Step/Level 2 on 05/05 & 05/08. This is based on the source I've been looking at for the US estimated "peaks" for COVID. I'm just a medical student like you though; interpret the data as you will.

If you for sure need a couple weeks I would just reschedule now. There's a lot of stress built up to taking the exams; you don't want to have to go through that twice in the event your testing center doesn't cancel examinations for May.

I hope you get to take yours! I'm taking mine in June so I'm a little on edge as well

Reactions: 2 users
I am scheduled for level 2 May 6th and my state just extended to may 8th, has anyone been resecheduled by prometric? I would rescheduled but everything is full

Members don't see this ad :)
I am scheduled for level 2 May 6th and my state just extended to may 8th, has anyone been resecheduled by prometric? I would rescheduled but everything is full

If I were you, I'd hold on rescheduling, especially if you feel you'll be ready. My gut feeling is that you won't be able to sit for the exam but who knows with Prometric.

If I were you, I'd hold on rescheduling, especially if you feel you'll be ready. My gut feeling is that you won't be able to sit for the exam but who knows with Prometric.

Did prometric chat this morning, was told that either to reschedule the exam or they would reschedule me for a later date. I couldn't reschedule anyways because all the dates are full lol

Did prometric chat this morning, was told that either to reschedule the exam or they would reschedule me for a later date. I couldn't reschedule anyways because all the dates are full lol

I wish COVID would chill TF out this is so annoying haha. Sorry to hear that!

Did they happen to give you a time frame for how much longer they're going to extend the testing suspension? If this drags into June a whole lot of us are going to be applying to residencies without Level 2 and Step 2 scores...

Did they happen to give you a time frame for how much longer they're going to extend the testing suspension? If this drags into June a whole lot of us are going to be applying to residencies without Level 2 and Step 2 scores...

46121A02-1AFC-4304-8462-077D99BD46AE_1_201_a.jpegE10EDF31-EEE5-401F-9A7F-E9CEE140908D_1_201_a.jpegDE0E6439-93B4-4961-87FA-C16B0DA91F95_1_201_a.jpeg

below is the convo I had this morning with prometric, they said they are currently working on rescheduling people from april

Word from my school is that once Prometric does reopen (whenever that is), they will be randomly cancelling 50% of test appointments. Although our admin got this info from the NCARB (architecture board organization) website, so not 100% sure it applies to USMLE, but it very likely does. We’ve been advised to either reschedule now (there’s no test dates available really anyways) or risk being rescheduled automatically by the 50% lottery that’s supposedly occurring next week.

And for us taking COMLEX and Step, this is even more problematic given that taking 1 and not the other (if only 1 was randomly selected to be canceled) would really mess with the study schedule.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know if - since the exams are considered "essential" - they over-ride stay at home orders?

My COMLEX is on the MO side unfortunately (shoulda just scheduled both exams at the same center, smh) & Missouri has some kinky s*** going on with stay at home orders (state of MO state at home order until 05/03 via the governor, but Kansas City specifically has a stay at home order issued by the mayor until 05/15, but only certain counties are listening to the mayor (e.g. Jackson county where my Prometric center is is listening to the government, but the county where I live is NOT listening & I live closer to downtown KC than my Prometric center is to downtown KC.)) My date is 05/08 so I'm in the middle of this awkward time period.

I submitted a Prometric request thingy but who knows when they'll get back to me.

Anybody know if - since the exams are considered "essential" - they over-ride stay at home orders?

My COMLEX is on the MO side unfortunately (shoulda just scheduled both exams at the same center, smh) & Missouri has some kinky s*** going on with stay at home orders (state of MO state at home order until 05/03 via the governor, but Kansas City specifically has a stay at home order issued by the mayor until 05/15, but only certain counties are listening to the mayor (e.g. Jackson county where my Prometric center is is listening to the government, but the county where I live is NOT listening & I live closer to downtown KC than my Prometric center is to downtown KC.)) My date is 05/08 so I'm in the middle of this awkward time period.

I submitted a Prometric request thingy but who knows when they'll get back to me.
I'm assuming you should be OK to take the exam if that testing center is opening. Especially since the prioritized the USMLE and COMLEX as essential exams due to their requirement for licensing essential personnel. Doesn't hurt to ask, since though MO has some crazy stuff going on. I'm watching my testing center like a hawk to make sure it's opening by my test.

Sent from my SM-G970U using SDN mobile

View attachment 303004View attachment 303005View attachment 303006

below is the convo I had this morning with prometric, they said they are currently working on rescheduling people from april
I'm curious about that last line... who else is making these decisions? Unless they're referencing government orders for non-essential businesses to remain closed. Incidentally up here in the northeast our governer already said we wouldnt open until May 15 at the earliest so we all knew they wouldn't open in May since... y'know, it'd be illegal. Wonder why they waited so long to tell people.

My Level 3 was scheduled for Mid May. Then today, randomly got a confirmation email from prometric that my test had moved testing centers and is now 15 days sooner than I originally planned. No explanation, no giving me options, etc. Not like I planned PTO to take this test 4 months ago...

• Wow
anyone else get an email from prometric that their test was cancelled due to the social distancing ? was scheduled for level 2 in june

anyone else get an email from prometric that their test was cancelled due to the social distancing ? was scheduled for level 2 in june

YES!!!! Level 2 CE scheduled for June in Florida. Scheduled back in December. Cancelled as part of the "random 50%". Our core site groupme is popping right now with others who got the cancel email.

Has anyone else just gotten automatically rescheduled to an *earlier* date? I just got changed from the end of May to May 10th and 14th. This is ridiculous and makes zero sense. And I can't reach anyone about it.

My Level 3 was scheduled for Mid May. Then today, randomly got a confirmation email from prometric that my test had moved testing centers and is now 15 days sooner than I originally planned. No explanation, no giving me options, etc. Not like I planned PTO to take this test 4 months ago...
Yes, same exact thing just happened to me! Can't move my shifts around either at this point, even if somehow found myself prepared. Who thought that was a good idea...? There * had* to have been people canceled earlier who could have used those slots instead.