Limerick and Trinity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enmeds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do people think, is it better to attend a more established school like Trinity or a newer, more innovative program that offers PBL like Limerick? Any comments would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

It really is up to how you feel about it. Trinity is a good school that is established. Limerick is a new school but has a new innovative style of teaching. One thing that you should consider is that Limerick has not graduated any students yet, but next year the first batch will enter into the residency match. However, I have a friend who currently attends Limerick and he says that he writes progress exams that are written by schools all over the world, including McMaster here in Canada. He says that in comparison, the students at Limerick are above the average, so if you're concerned about the education there really isn't anything to worry about.

What do people think, is it better to attend a more established school like Trinity or a newer, more innovative program that offers PBL like Limerick? Any comments would be great!

I've also been accepted to Trinity.

On their program catalog, it says that their curriculum includes PBL.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Trinity Medical School will be 300 years old next year so it has a well established world wide reputation and TCD is ranked 43rd in the world. On the downside their programme is five years while Limerick is four. But I don't think Limerick has any graduates yet so it is hard to know how they will fare when they are trying to get intern places.

Reputation as considered by North American residency programs won't matter at all. One Irish school will equal the next, regardless of TCD's long history. More important is location and length of program. Are they both 4 year Grad Entry programs? Limerick is, er, not the nicest city in Ireland. Dublin is Dublin. Cork is nice!

My personal opinion is that the Trinity programme is better. If I had the choice, I would take TCD before UL without hesitation.

My personal opinion is that the Trinity programme is better. If I had the choice, I would take TCD before UL without hesitation.

I'd absolutely agree.

Read the details about UL's program; its different to say the least. I haven't been down there since first year but at the time, the program was very focused on producing general practitioners. Try to get in touch with someone who's in the program there before you decide.

Reputation as considered by North American residency programs won't matter at all. One Irish school will equal the next, regardless of TCD's long history. More important is location and length of program. Are they both 4 year Grad Entry programs? Limerick is, er, not the nicest city in Ireland. Dublin is Dublin. Cork is nice!

I'd totally disagree with the Ireland is Ireland assumption. North American Residency directors are very familiar with each College currently graduating North Americans. The fact that Ireland does not have a universal medical cirriculum (though one is in development) makes this a neccessity.

I have no idea how each program is ranked, but there is a bias towards schools they are familiar with (aka schools that have been graduating North Americans for longer). If you look around any North American hospital you'll find far more docs from Trinity and RCSI than any other school. Cork is increasing its penetrance but there are very few Cork grads in senior positions.