Lincoln Memorial

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mHHhp3

Reaction score
Looking at the different schools to apply to this cycle! Does anyone have any opinions/ thoughts on Lincoln Memorial University? Not very familiar with their program and can't seem to find much other than their website about them

Members don't see this ad.

They’re a pretty new school and just graduated their first class last year(?). They don’t gave a hospital/teaching hospital so you do all of your clinics 4th year elsewhere, like regular clinics across the country.

Reactions: 1 user
They’re a pretty new school and just graduated their first class last year(?). They don’t gave a hospital/teaching hospital so you do all of your clinics 4th year elsewhere, like regular clinics across the country.

This is so crazy to me. Do they expect everyone to pay out of pocket to travel and live in all these places (and likely have to pay rent on two places)? Do they at least comp the tuition since you're not there?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is so crazy to me. Do they expect everyone to pay out of pocket to travel and live in all these places (and likely have to pay rent on two places)? Do they at least comp the tuition since you're not there?

Western has been doing it for ~10 years before LMU. Blows my mind too. I'm only setting up externships in locations I won't have double rent by living with my parents and grandparents. I couldn't imagine spending a year paying double rent.

No, third year's sell their stuff or store it with a family member, etc. then they travel with just the necessities. They don't pay for rent in TN too.

No, third year's sell their stuff or store it with a family member, etc. then they travel with just the necessities. They don't pay for rent in TN too.

So they basically have to find new furnished apartments every few weeks? And places that would be cool letting you stay for only a few weeks (which 99% of apartment complexes would laugh you out of the office over)? Or they somehow AirBnB for a year living out of a couple suitcases? Damn.

Sounds like a nightmare TBH. Living situation falls through at the last minute at any point and you're screwed for a whole rotation.

Betting they still charge you full tuition too.

Reactions: 5 users
A lot of rotations offer housing! Other people schedule rotations so that they can stay with family or friends. You can, for the most part, travel as much or as little as you want. Might not appeal to everyone but it all works out.

A lot of rotations offer housing! Other people schedule rotations so that they can stay with family or friends. You can, for the most part, travel as much or as little as you want. Might not appeal to everyone but it all works out.

Private clinics offering housing? Huh. I have to say, I would imagine that is not consistent....

True, but that relies on the goodwill of family and friends. Not everyone has those things (meaning close friends and family) and it seems unfair to 1) indirectly force the students on other people (who have their own lives) and 2) indirectly force students to rotate only in areas where these advantages exist because its so much riskier to try to go elsewhere due to the stress of finding temporary housing in an unfamiliar area constantly.

Hence one of my many issues with places that don't have teaching hospitals. I'm sure people manage to make it work, as they do at Western, but it is most certainly VERY less than ideal.

Reactions: 4 users
Like I said not for everyone, but the third years I have talked to had no problems finding housing for their rotations.

True enough. I just think it is worth noting that this is a very important thing that potential students need to take into account, especially if they have pets, limited finances, distant family, etc. Relying simply on hearsay from the ones with wide social nets who happened to do it successfully may only lead to a false sense of security.

Reactions: 6 users
Private clinics offering housing? Huh. I have to say, I would imagine that is not consistent....

True, but that relies on the goodwill of family and friends. Not everyone has those things (meaning close friends and family) and it seems unfair to 1) indirectly force the students on other people (who have their own lives) and 2) indirectly force students to rotate only in areas where these advantages exist because its so much riskier to try to go elsewhere due to the stress of finding temporary housing in an unfamiliar area constantly.

Hence one of my many issues with places that don't have teaching hospitals. I'm sure people manage to make it work, as they do at Western, but it is most certainly VERY less than ideal.

So you either have to get rid of all your stuff and then purchase everything again when you graduate or you have to have family willing to store your stuff for a year. My parents downsized. My stuff wouldn’t fit in their house. I have nice furniture that I’d like to keep. It’d be very inconvenient to have to find somewhere to store it all for a year since my family can’t. Or I’d have to purchase new things when I graduate which would be a big expense as well.
It’s definitely something anyone going to a distributed clinics school needs to consider.

So you either have to get rid of all your stuff and then purchase everything again when you graduate or you have to have family willing to store your stuff for a year. My parents downsized. My stuff wouldn’t fit in their house. I have nice furniture that I’d like to keep. It’d be very inconvenient to have to find somewhere to store it all for a year since my family can’t. Or I’d have to purchase new things when I graduate which would be a big expense as well.
It’s definitely something anyone going to a distributed clinics school needs to consider.
Only semi-related, but I'm super excited to finally ditch the 'college' furniture and get real, adult furniture that is nice and like, actually matches once residency is over.

UCVM up in Canada has no teaching hospital either (well a very small one for some core rotations). The rest of the rotations are in Calgary (where the school is) which is a city of 1.2 million people, or in rural Alberta surrounding Calgary - with a few exceptions. I believe for all of the ones far enough away you are provided housing.

Is LMU located in the middle of nowhere Tennessee?

UCVM up in Canada has no teaching hospital either (well a very small one for some core rotations). The rest of the rotations are in Calgary (where the school is) which is a city of 1.2 million people, or in rural Alberta surrounding Calgary - with a few exceptions. I believe for all of the ones far enough away you are provided housing.

Is LMU located in the middle of nowhere Tennessee?

Just an fyi, most of the outside-Calgary rotations are not necessarily "surrounding Calgary", there are a lot that are very far out from Calgary. It should be noted, however, that Calgary has rules for rotations to ease the housing situation somewhat. All clinics that offer rotations are required to have some form of housing available. Sometimes this is housing in the clinic itself or with one of the clinic team or also with a member of the community (the only downside being that there is no fixed fee so some housing is very expensive. I've been lucky and stayed places either for free or maximum was $150/week so far). It is 100% possible to do all of your rotations within commuting distance of Calgary proper. The school does also provide a small stipend to help with travel expenses.

That said, I still have to pay full tuition to the school (and it's more than other years because it is a 12 month term). The stipend is small and except for students staying 80%+ in Calgary, it does not cover your rent/gas for rural rotations. I am also maintaining a place in Calgary despite spending ~70% of my time in rural locations because my partner and I have a place together. This does create some stress on my finances (and more stress on finances for some of my other classmates) for the year and I am having to be careful with what I spend and where. Even with that, I still would have chosen to attend this school because I want to be a rural practitioner and so being able to go out in those kinds of clinics is hugely valuable for me. But I did go in very aware of the implications for 4th year and with a plan in place for my furniture and dog (staying with my boyfriend, or would have gone to my parents if the relationship ended for whatever reason).

Anyway, this isn't related to LMU at all but since Calgary came up I figured I'd offer a current 4th year perspective on what that looks like in a more established DVLC school that has some established support for students. I agree that this needs to be a serious consideration for people who want to attend DVLC-style schools because it will majorly impact your life for a solid year. I don't think people consider what that 4th year may look like for them nearly enough.

**Also disclaimer that I made the decision I did partially because Canadians also pay a significantly lower amount of tuition so the financial impact of a DVLC 4th year does NOT impact me even a fraction of what it could possibly for an American student

I didn’t see this thread when it originally started but I work with a vet that was in LMU’s first graduating class. I thought the no VTH thing was odd so I asked her about it. She put her furniture and stuff in storage and tried to line up 2 externships in a given area so she was there for 4 weeks at a time. She mostly stayed in extended stay hotels and had 2 dogs with her. The moving around part didn’t bother her. She hated having to prove herself at the start of each externship, rather than being “known” like in a teaching hospital.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users