Hepato-phile
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2001
Someplace cold
Status
Attending Physician
Hi all,

I am in the process of doing 2 electives before my required 3rd yr clerkships. Both are inpt consult services. I don't take Medicine & Surgery until after Xmas, so there are a lot of aspects of inpt care that I'm not familiar with.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a quick review/reference that talks about all the different lines, ports, catheters, drains, etc that we like to stick into our patients. Whenever I see a new consult, I have to inspect & report all the "hardware" that's attached, but I'm not sure sometimes how these things are identified :eek:

Thanx in advance. I'm assuming we'll learn a lot about this stuff in Surgery!

M

Mr. McDuck

Advanced Surgical Recall is pretty good with the drains and ports.

Anka

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Ask the nurse who's taking care of the patient. They know what the names of what's in, and after a few weeks you'll know what everything is, too. It's hard to look stuff up in a reference book, because the pictures will show a generic, which may not look exactly like it does when it's in your patient.

Anka

carrigallen

16th centry dutch painter
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Status
I think it's hard to know just by looking sometimes, portacath vs. IJ vs. triple lumen, Swan, hemedialysis, subclavian, you're just looking at a tube on the neck with a bandage covering it. The nurse's signout note will usually say the lines though.

sophiejane

Exhausted
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2003
Waco, TX
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Anka said:
Ask the nurse who's taking care of the patient. They know what the names of what's in, and after a few weeks you'll know what everything is, too. It's hard to look stuff up in a reference book, because the pictures will show a generic, which may not look exactly like it does when it's in your patient.

Anka
Amen to that. Those folks are hardware geniuses. I swear sometimes I watch them put tubes into connectors into needles into this and that and I can never keep it straight...

Use them--nurses are a great resource. Just be nice.

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2000
www.pcom.edu
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Asking nurses and other ancillary staff the names of equipment is a good thing, I agree with that. Just be careful because you will sometimes run into cases where certain equipment has a name that is unique to that institution.

You would be suprised how many places dont know what a Basic Metabolic Panel is. They have their own little names for them.

Same goes for different port, lines, tubes, connectors...you name it.