Linkage

Started by AcousticGS
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AcousticGS

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am 25 and looking at postbacc programs, I dont want to be 28 when I start med school, so I am wondering what schools have the best linkage programs. I have noticed Bryn Mawr has a very good one, and Hopkins (which I dont think I will get into with a 3.4 from Cornell). Any ideas???

Thanks a ton!
 
AcousticGS said:
I am 25 and looking at postbacc programs, I dont want to be 28 when I start med school, so I am wondering what schools have the best linkage programs. I have noticed Bryn Mawr has a very good one, and Hopkins (which I dont think I will get into with a 3.4 from Cornell). Any ideas???

Thanks a ton!

why dont you try to apply to medschool w/ 3.4 from cornell or smp, which is only one year
 
madonna said:
why dont you try to apply to medschool w/ 3.4 from cornell or smp, which is only one year

Because I need the basic sciences...I dont have anything besides Bio
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bryn Mawr is your best bet if you can get in - least travel time.
 
Check out Bryn Mawr, Hopkins, Scripps, Goucher, Penn--all well-known and respected, with several links at each.
 
but is it better to go to a school like manhattanville and just pull the grades....basic sciences are not a strong point for me...
 
AcousticGS said:
but is it better to go to a school like manhattanville and just pull the grades....basic sciences are not a strong point for me...
Tough call, one that I think each of us postbacs had to make at one time or another. Grades are very important as a postbac, and I'd say a 3.6+ from a state school would be more beneficial for admissions purposes than a sub-3.0 even from Hopkins.

A 3.6 from Hopkins PB, on the other hand, would open many many doors, I imagine. And didn't you say you wanted to link? Only the bigger names have linkage programs.
 
Drexel has some pretty good links at their program with a pretty high success rate
 
drexel looks like it only has an evening two year program, i am looking at one year programs, but thanks so much for helping!
 
'....basic sciences are not a strong point for me'

I hate to dissuade anyone, but if you think you may have trouble with the science in the pre-reqs, you may want to reconsider medicine. Its not so much that med school science is harder, theres just a lot more of it, with much less time to digest it all, so you kind of have to be able to pick up science concepts on the fly. I guess, though, that doing a post-bacc will help you determine that for yourself.