Step I Lipophilic Molecule Receptors

Started by seminoma
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

seminoma

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Firecracker says
Signal transmission through transcription factors: receptors for lipophilic molecules
  • steroid hormones, thyroid hormone, vitamin D, retinoids
  • Lipophilic molecules (steroids, thyroid hormone, vitamin A and D) easily pass through lipid bilayer of cell membrane. Once intracellular, they bind to specific cytoplasmic proteins and pass into nucleus where they change the rate of mRNA transcription.

Is this incorrectly implying that the T3/T4 receptor and Vit A receptor are cytoplasmic? I thought T3/T4 and Vit A were nuclear whereas the steroid receptors (and Vit D) are cytoplasmic?
 
As far as I know, out of the common lipophilic receptors, all the important ones are cytoplasmic except for thyroid hormone receptors which are nuclear. I haven't heard of the Vit A receptors being nuclear, so perhaps someone else may know?