List of interventional fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tranzformer

Varg
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a list of the current fellowships in interventional neurology?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a big difference between a vascular and neuro interventional fellowship? Or are they the same thing?

Well, I'm sure there are others on this board more qualified to answer this question but what I, a stress-ridden M2, have gotten out of my reading is this: Interventional Neuro is now the name for what used to be endovascular neurosurg/ interventional neurorads. In the sense that all three of this are more or less the same thing with the difference being which specialty you are coming from. i.e. neurosurg --> ENS; rads --> INR; and now neuro --> IN. So there is now an accreditation board for IN such that neuro folks have their own path to interventional fellowships. Again, I could be wrong but this is the impression that I have gotten.

Also, having just read my reply I'm not sure I accurately answered your question. If you are referring to a difference between a strictly "vascular" fellowship (i.e. stroke fellow) and an interventional fellowship, then yes there is a huge difference. Let's put it simply: vascular - 1 year; IN - min. 3 years (1 yr of stroke or 1-2 yr of neurocritical care + 2 yr interventional...which is only offered at very few institutions now, so I would except some competition!).

I haven't had any luck with the above website when I click on the fellowship link, I get a "The page cannot be found" message.

I found this list off of AAN's website:

21st Century Neurology
Brigham and Women's Hospital/Harvard Medical School
Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center
Duke University Medical Center
Johns Hopkins University
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center
MCP Hahnemann University
Michigan State University
Stanford University Medical Center
The Department of Neurology at the University of South Florida School of Medicine
UMDNJ - New Jersey Medical School
University of Alabama at Birmingham
University of California, Los Angeles Division of Neurosurgery
University of California, San Diego
University of Florida
University of Florida
University of Massachusetts Medical School
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
University of South Florida College of Medicine
University of Tennessee College of Medicine
University of Toronto
Upstate Medical University/University Hospital
Wayne State University - Detroit Medical Center

http://www.aan.com/education/fellowships/

Im not sure that list is too updated...Is that list for all INR or just programs that accept neurology residents, I know that there are only a handful or INR programs that actually accept people from neurology backgrounds. The ones I came across are Mass gen, NYU, Emory, UCLA, and UCSD. Some of those arent even on that list so I wonder how updated it is. The problem for doing the neurolgy route into INR is that you have to do a year of basic neuroradiology before interventional if the program doesnt include that year. I spoke with the program director at northwestern and he said it would be too hard to convince the neuroradiology fellowship director to accept a neurology resident and take a potential spot away from a radiology resident. However, the UCLA INR director was proud that they have had multiple neurology residents through their program and he told me that they were just graduating their 5th fellow who came from neuro. Basically, you need to look up info for each program on the web to see if 1) they actually accept neuro residents and 2) contact the director and see if they have ever and how many neuro residents they have had in their programs and 3) if they include the diagnostic neurorad year in their program.

I haven't had any luck with the above website when I click on the fellowship link, I get a "The page cannot be found" message.

I found this list off of AAN's website:

21st Century Neurology
Brigham and Women's Hospital/Harvard Medical School
Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center
Duke University Medical Center
Johns Hopkins University
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center
MCP Hahnemann University
Michigan State University
Stanford University Medical Center
The Department of Neurology at the University of South Florida School of Medicine
University of Alabama at Birmingham
University of California, Los Angeles Division of Neurosurgery
University of California, San Diego
University of Florida
University of Florida
University of Massachusetts Medical School
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
University of South Florida College of Medicine
University of Tennessee College of Medicine
University of Toronto
Upstate Medical University/University Hospital
Wayne State University - Detroit Medical Center

http://www.aan.com/education/fellowships/

Yeah, I'm not sure whats up with their website right now but I'm sure they'll fix the page soon enough. From what I can remember they had only 13 programs listed. The few that I can remember are: U of Louisville, Albany, Michigan (not sure if was UM or MS), Wisconsin, USF. From what I remember they were for the most part NOT what would you think of as power-house neuro programs; instead, programs with probably very big stroke care.

I am on the website committee for SVIN and we are currently updating the site with a complete list of programs as well as a new Education section for current and future interventional neurologists. The list of programs where neurology-trained INR candidates can apply to is longer than those mentioned in previous posts and is growing steadily. The field is wide open for neurologists to enter after they have trained in either vascular or neurocritical care. If you are interested, sign up as a junior member for SVIN and try to attend the upcoming SVIN annual meeting which coincides with the neurocritical care meeting in Miami.

Yeah i go to school in miami so i will try to make it for sure

i was just wondering, but what are the pros/cons of entering into interventional neuro from stroke or neurocritical care? also, if one wanted to do research in this field would it be limited to just developing new techniques or could one do research in, say, post-stroke depression for example

Question re: interventional neurology fellowships: Realistically, what are the odds of getting a seat in a program? Everyone says encouraging things, but do neurology applicants actually have a statistically significant chance of being accepted when compared to the neurosurg and rads applicants? Is there any quantitative data out there regarding neurology applicants and the number accepted to programs? Any info would be much appreciated.