List of Lower-Tier Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tekkenman11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted as of November 1st 2017 because I was accepted last month to one of my top 5 choices (upper-mid tier). Still waiting to hear back from a top 30!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What are your sGPA and cGPA including your SMP? Where is your state of residence?

BCPM (undegrad) 2.9, cGPA 3.0 but I don't my believe cGPA matters at all just the sciences.

SMP GPA: 3.6 (separate GPA under AMCAS)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Which URM group do you belong to? If Hispanic are you fluent in Spanish?

Yes I served as a translator on a medical brigade and the clinical volunteering I did this past year was in a predominantly Latino community.

Last edited:
Which community?
The three Puerto Rican schools that consider mainlanders would be good choices.

The community we serviced? Mostly Mexican-American with some South American immigrants. Also I thought the BIG 4 would make me an IMG. What other schools do you have in mind with my stats?

The community we serviced? Mostly Mexican-American with some South American immigrants. Also I thought the BIG 4 would make me an IMG. What other schools do you have in mind with my stats?

They're asking what URM community you belong to

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
The Puerto Rican schools are US LCME-accredited medical schools!

The Puerto Rican schools are US LCME-accredited medical schools!

Thanks! And Colombian so there should be a decent number of schools who would consider me a URM, or at the very least a UiM, especially with the particular state school I'm interested in (if that's why you're asking). Last time I applied I didn't encounter any issues in regards to the above.

Update: I also decided to use a popular calculator that's on SDN to make a list of Category 3-7 schools. Ended up with 27 so I think those are the ones I'll go with. In addition to 5 DO. Bless the FAP!

Last edited:
These are schools where you could receive an interview with your stats:
U Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Oakland Beaumont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Einstein
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
BU
Tufts
Miami
Also any of the 5 DO schools you apply to.

Reactions: 1 user
These are schools where you could receive an interview with your stats:
U Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Oakland Beaumont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Einstein
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
BU
Tufts
Miami
Also any of the 5 DO schools you apply to.

Woah those are almost all the schools that person's calculator/category method came up with too! Haha. Good to know then that those are definitely schools I should include in my list.

Thanks!!

Edit: Do you know if the rumors about St. Louis possibly going on probation are true?

Thanks! And Colombian so there should be a decent number of schools who would consider me a URM, or at the very least a UiM, especially with the particular state school I'm interested in (if that's why you're asking). Last time I applied I didn't encounter any issues in regards to the above.

Update: I also decided to use a popular calculator that's on SDN to make a list of Category 3-7 schools. Ended up with 27 so I think those are the ones I'll go with. In addition to 5 DO. Bless the FAP!
Colombianos are not considered URM...but Spanish language skills are always appreciated. Faha's list is a good one, but I would delete Einstein

Colombianos are not considered URM...but Spanish language skills are always appreciated. Faha's list is a good one, but I would delete Einstein

According to the updated AAMC definition post-2003 (and the Med-MAR which I qualify for) they very well can be considered URM, or more specifically UiM depending on the school. I had a diversity interview the last cycle so I know first hand that this is true. There is also SES-Disadvantaged which I was given last time as well (shouldn't change).

Just looked at Einstein's stats wow! Yeah definitely taking that off.