List of Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandg

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would anyone like to comment on the following list of schools I plan to apply to for 2005? Specifically, do you think the list is too short? I don't see the point in (i.e. paying for) applying to more than 10-15 schools, but I know this process is a crapshoot.
I am an engineering major working on my masters now. I've got a 35 MCAT, and while no one will mistake me for Mother Teresa, I have been involved for several years in a couple EC's that demostrate working with people.

The list:
Case Western
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Wash U
U Penn
Pitt
JHU
UMich
Vanderbilt
Mayo

Thanks to everyone who answers. Good luck to those of you trying to decide where to go or hoping to get off a waitlist for 2004 and also to those who will be applying with me for '05.

Members don't see this ad.

Consider adding all the schools within a days drive of where you live to get the list up to 15 schools. The application fees are only part of the cost, it is the plane travel that really gets you.

Plus there will be some secondaries you may blow off after you get them. That will winnow your list down to 12 or 13 schools.

I would consider added another couple of schools. Your score is VERY competitive, so you're going to have GREAT responses. I would add a few mid-tier and low-tier schools. Who knows? Maybe you'll get some amazing financial aid package from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would add Baylor because it is a great school with low cost. I would also add Emory because that is where I will be :laugh:

I'd also add a couple more schools, maybe top tier. You got a great score and a good chance of getting into a few of the ones on the list. What's your GPA?

Add Duke. It's a great school that'll appreciate your 35.

I'd also add a couple more schools, maybe top tier. You got a great score and a good chance of getting into a few of the ones on the list. What's your GPA?

Well, since you asked: 3.9.

add more schools. . .while I have multiple acceptances, I think it's important to apply to many schools so you (hopefully) have many options in the end.

I think Pitt is a good school in the general geographical area you're looking at.

I would add another low-tier school. One that is open to giving out large financial packages.

Sounds like a nice list, you could always consider adding Harvard, both NP and HST. You're perfectly competitive for just about any school out there.

Just make sure for JHU that you've got your 24 units of humanities....that can be tough sometimes for sci/eng majors, depending on your school of course.

I would add another low-tier school. One that is open to giving out large financial packages.

Any suggestions?

The list:
Case Western
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Wash U
U Penn
Pitt
JHU
UMich
Vanderbilt
Mayo

I think I would add a few more schools to your application. You have to realize that while a 35 is good it is nothing spectacular to schools like JHU, Umich, WashU, and several others on your list. I have a 36 and 3.85, with a couple years volunteer work in South America and four years full time in a medical laboratory. I also have volunteered in several hospitals over the years, shadowed physicians, and taught English as a second language to immigrants. Though I applied early in the game I was interviewed (among the schools you listed) fairly late by OSU, WashU. and Umich. They all waitlisted me, maybe they would have eventially accepted me, maybe not. The moral of the story is that you are never safe, no matter how good you believe your numbers are. I applied to 10 and I was sweating for a while there. I was accepted outright at MCW and UVa, both wonderful schools and I feel lucky to be able to attend anywhere. If you apply to 6 or 7 elite institutions and a few schools you might consider "safety schools" you will very likely have rude awakening in store.

I would add Emory. It's very similar to Vanderbilt, and Atlanta is better to live in than Nashville!