list of schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDhopeful6891

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying next cycle...here are the basics:
~3.6 Overall GPA
~3.5 Sci GPA
34N (13/11/10/N) MCAT
traditional app, California resident
top school, research, free clinic work, shadowing program, non-medically related service+ other activities

So, here's my current list:
7 Cali Schools:
UCLA, UCSF, UCI, UCD, UCSD, USC, Stanford
14 Non-Cali Schools:
Harvard, Yale, Penn, Cornell, Columbia, Northwestern, U Chicago
NYU, Tufts, Boston U, Mt. Sinai, GWU, Georgetown, Jefferson
That's 21 at this point. How's the breakdown? Not enough match/"safeties"

Ones that were left off this list that I was considering:
Duke, Dartmouth, JHU, Pitt, Einstein, Rochester, NYMC, Drexel, Loyola-Stritch

What do you think? Any comments would be appreciated!
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to mid-tier OOS-friendly public schools. Chances are you'll only have to pay OOS tuition for 1 year. Many of these schools are great schools and from experience, you may find yourself liking some of them.

You're a solid applicant, but all of those reaches are probably unrealistic unless you've got a bunch of publications and at least one first authorship- as well as some super-unique ECs.

Also, the safties you've chosen are the some ones everyone chooses. I agree with the previous poster that you need to consider some new non-reach schools in states where you only have to pay OOS for the first year. So, overall suggestions:

1) Cut the reaches to the 4 or 5 you like best. No offense, but don't count on these to happen for you.
2) Chuck the cliches like Boston, Tufts, GW, etc. that everyone and their mother applies to. If you check the old SDN threads on these schools, you'll find that they reject very, very vigorously.
3) Apply to the SUNY schools and/or the Ohio schools and/or the TX schools as your safties; these are all states that let you pay in-state tuition after the first year.
4) Consider applying to OHSU. It seems like it would be within your range, and Oregon is close to Cali.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a lot of top schools there. Perhaps reduce the list of those down a bit to where you would really want to go and apply to more of the middle ground private schools. Perhaps take cost into account if the school isn't that great but tries to take your money with an obscene secondary fee or tuition. I'd also say that you are on the right track since you are already figuring out where you'd like to apply well before the primary is available. Just make sure to have your LORs ready to go in the early summer and have your personal statement written.

By the way, what happened on the writing sample? I had the M on the April test and Q on the August test. I guess you have to make it obvious for the readers by saying things like firstly, secondly, and in conclusion along with making the thesis quite obvious in comparison to your body paragraphs.

I would recommend adding Einstein, NYMC and Drexel to cast your net a little broader. There is no such thing as a safety but some schools add more to your chances than others.

~3.6 Overall GPA
~3.5 Sci GPA
34N (13/11/10/N) MCAT
top school, research, free clinic work, shadowing program, non-medically related service+ other activities

7 Cali Schools:
14 Non-Cali Schools:

Thanks.

Cut down on the OOS reach schools. You already have enough of them being a CA resident.

white/asian? add more schools.

~3.6 Overall GPA
~3.5 Sci GPA
34N (13/11/10/N) MCAT

7 Cali Schools:
14 Non-Cali Schools:

Thanks.

my stats were identical to yours, gpa higher by .1 and you need to add more lower tier schools in that list add in drexel einstein rochester loyala NYMC. Dont be foolish and arrogant, your gpa is low compared to many of the schools you are applying to, you will thank me later for this.

You look very similar to my list and my stats as well. The big difference is I'm not a Cali resident so I got no love from UCs. However I did get some love from East coasters that you have on your list. I do agree with everyone else though, you can always add more schools lower on the list. It only hurts your wallet, and can give you a little more piece of mind. We all want to go to a top school, however we also need to be realistic. Good luck!