List of Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my basic profile
http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=7846

I am really shooting for some of the upper tier schools, but I feel like my stats (especially mcat) won't even come close to some for these upper tier schools (it seems like looking at msar the average for all these schools is 11 12 12), is this a waste of time for me to apply to a bunch of these type of schools?

I guess I am just not sure about formulating my list of schools so far. I see the waitlist forums of people at schools like Yale on SDN who have far better stats and I guess I am just discouraged.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is my basic profile

I am really shooting for some of the upper tier schools, but I feel like my stats (especially mcat) won't even come close to some for these upper tier schools (it seems like looking at msar the average for all these schools is 11 12 12), is this a waste of time for me to apply to a bunch of these type of schools?

I guess I am just not sure about formulating my list of schools so far. I see the waitlist forums of people at schools like Yale on SDN who have far better stats and I guess I am just discouraged.

Your MCAT is balanced which is huge and you have a great GPA. You also seem to have great ECs. I have a feeling that you will be pleasantly surprised :luck:

Doesn't mean an awful lot - these people could've had a bad or mediocre interview, and no 4.0/44 can compensate for an accidental major faux pas at an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is my basic profile

If you have the money, why not apply? You have a pretty good app so a couple of pts. under the average on the MCAT is nothing to worry about.

Hi, how does one become an EMT ?

why are people so obsessed with the numbers game??!?!?! it is obviously NOT a numbers game.

I feel like in so many ways this is a numbers game, and I feel like that many of the top med schools won't even bother to see what you've done unless you have the numbers that they want.

why are people so obsessed with the numbers game??!?!?! it is obviously NOT a numbers game.

Odd you say that, at 2 of my interviews, I was told "medical school admissions is a numbers game." But they also said a few other things that confused me, so who knows :p

You should definately apply to the schools that you want to go to. Although you have a below average MCAT, your GPA is above average. So, you will likely get a secondary and an interview. If you interview really well - show charisma and make them really want you, you will have a legititmate shot anywhere. However, make sure to do everything else right - get your apps and secondaries in ASAP and make sure to do them well.

You said you are thinking about retaking the MCAT. Please, for your sake, don't even consider it. 33R is an exceptional score, especially with your GPA. If you take it again and score lower, it would be a huge blow to your application.

I suspect you will do very well in the application process. Everything about your application seems strong. Take your victories and have fun. Good luck.

Here is my basic profile

no, it is NOT a waste of time

If money is not a big issue, apply too as many top tier schools you have the time and money for. I had a lower MCAT then you by 2 points and got invited for interviews at Yale or Harvard. Obviously I had some other stronger parts in my applicaiton such as resume and GPA, but I'm just trying to prove that MCAT is not everything.

When I was interviewed at Yale, the interviewer asked what I think was the weakest part of my application so that he may defend me against the committee if it comes up. I wasn't sure if this was a trick question or not but I answered this question honestly and said that I thought my MCAT was not as competitive as I'd like it to be. There are reasons why I didn't do too well (long story) but I decided not to elaborate and make excuses. He tried to comfort me and commented that at Yale, they really don't put a strong emphasis on the MCAT. He could have been lying, but I doubt it. I did get onto the waiting list.

So apply to as many as you can, worst case, you lose some cash, best case, you get into your top choice

Just keep in mind that schools that have an average of 35 means that there are plenty of students who got in who were below a 35 (not to mention, most of the schools ranked 11-20 have an average of 33). Apply to as many top schools are you like...I had the same MCAT as you and a lower GPA and got into the ones I applied to. It's more or less a crapshoot anyway, though the interview does count for a lot.