List of Stereotypes Step 1!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it may be fun to start a thread of stereotypes we see in FA/Uworld. I don't even know if stereotype is the right word. Maybe associations based on ethnicity/region/gender/etc...

I'll start! (And if no one else likes this game, I'll probably be the only one posting).

Takayasu- Asian

Members don't see this ad.

I think it may be fun to start a thread of stereotypes we see in FA/Uworld. I don't even know if stereotype is the right word. Maybe associations based on ethnicity/region/gender/etc...

I'll start! (And if no one else likes this game, I'll probably be the only one posting).

Takayasu- Asian

That looks like a pun straight on me :mad:

Obesity -> Americans :smuggrin::smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you see the word "caucasian", you don't have to go far before you see the words "with a history of recurrent upper-respiratory infections"

I met a white chick the other day with SLE. I thought that was weird as ****. In reality, its not that weird. It was all I could do to resist asking her if she was sure it was SLE and not cystic fibrosis.

Reactions: 1 user
i thought of the fat...forty...fertile...female one right away

also, african-american sarcoidosis as well haha.

Immigrants have TB and are missing their vaccines.

Diabetics have mucor (poor Wilford!)

This one is obvious. Alcoholic = Folate / Thiamine deficiency.

The reason I bring this up is: Why on earth don't they supplement Beer with Thiamine? I mean, they are already putting Vitamin D in milk, etc...

It's obviously a problem, so beer companies listen up! Put some thiamine in there. Or would that not work?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. A pun on you?

Sorry it was meant to be funny.

Ashkenazi Jews = 1/30 probability of Tay Sachs carriers.

Gastric Adenocarinoma = Japan

From that website above = Cave explorers have cryptococcus (Correction = that's histoplasmosis. Pigeon breeders would have cryptococcus. No?)

These aren't stereotypes, but I think they fit:

Just the vasculitides:
Young male smoker - Buerger's
Kid with asthma - Churg-Strauss
Little asian kids - Kawasaki's
Hep B - Pan
Old ladies - temporal arteritis.

P.S. If you're a diabetic or an Ashkenazi Jew you're screwed.
P.S.S. On medical tests, immigrants never get immunizations. Racists.

These aren't stereotypes, but I think they fit:

Just the vasculitides:
Young male smoker - Buerger's
Kid with asthma - Churg-Strauss
Little asian kids - Kawasaki's
Hep B - Pan
Old ladies - temporal arteritis.

P.S. If you're a diabetic or an Ashkenazi Jew you're screwed.
P.S.S. On medical tests, immigrants never get immunizations. Racists.

Excellent review on what I just studied. Thanks that helped. :)

Patients never just have jobs. They have occupational hazards just waiting to get them.

Vacations will always be to an area of the world where there is some endemic disease not normally present where they are originally come from. No one ever just "goes to the beach".

If you so much as look at a pigeon, parrot, or bird of any kind - you will catch something.

Spelunking is inordinately popular.

Patients never just have jobs. They have occupational hazards just waiting to get them.

Vacations will always be to an area of the world where there is some endemic disease not normally present where they are originally come from. No one ever just "goes to the beach".

If you so much as look at a pigeon, parrot, or bird of any kind - you will catch something.

Spelunking is inordinately popular.

LOL! Exactly what I was thinking. How many caves there are exactly in Ohio and Mississipi anyway? :laugh::smuggrin:

The reason I bring this up is: Why on earth don't they supplement Beer with Thiamine? I mean, they are already putting Vitamin D in milk, etc...

I just had this conversation with someone 2 days ago, didn't bring up the vitamin D argument but it's a good one....

A man just landed on Arizona.....

QUARANTINE HIM HE HAS COCCIDIODES IMMITIS INFECTION!!!!!

Earthquake hits southern California. Few days/weeks after, many many people come in complaining of flu-like URI type symptoms.

Valley Fever. Coccidiodes.

Pregnant woman swears she takes her OCP's religiously but she's pregnant, oh no must have been a P450 inducer! also works for: guy on warfarin but oh no his INR is low... lets see if you memorized your Queen Barb mnemonic

Sorry it was meant to be funny.

Ashkenazi Jews = 1/30 probability of Tay Sachs carriers.

Gastric Adenocarinoma = Japan

From that website above = Cave explorers have cryptococcus (Correction = that's histoplasmosis. Pigeon breeders would have cryptococcus. No?)

Oh you're fine. I just didn't understand. ;)

COMLEX stereotype:

Really, everything everyone already mentioned, but their back would hurt too.

If they are gay...definitely AIDS

If a women fell down the stairs...definitely spousal abuse

Anyone treated with Bactrim is guaranteed another trip back to the office. No one can tolerate its awesome power.

Last edited:
wouldn't that just be africans? (hopefully you're not falling into the pc trap of thinking all black people are described as african american).

how about young kid w urinary problems but nothing else is wrong with the labs --min change dx

this is a good thread keep it going

young woman w/lower abdominal pain, scant bloody discharge, and a promiscuous sexual history = ectopic pregnancy due to PID

aside: this may be the first truly helpful thread i've seen on here - props to whoever started it

Homeless person- they either have a thiamine deficiency or drank ethylene glycol or methanol.

Someone dies unexpectedly after surgery with absolutely no reason given- halothane toxicity.

Breast tumors (Most commons):

<25 = fibroadenoma
25-menopause = fibrocystic change
Post-menopausal = invasive ductal

This one is obvious. Alcoholic = Folate / Thiamine deficiency.

It's obviously a problem, so beer companies listen up! Put some thiamine in there. Or would that not work?

I may be wrong, but I think many moons ago, I heard that acetaldehyde produced from alcohol dehydrogenase binds thiamine and was one of the reasons for thiamine deficiency. Probably should only be an issue if acetaldehyde dehydrogenase was overwhelmed, right?

G6PD Deficiency -- Arabs or Middle Easterns... I guess they are the only ppl that eat Fava beans!

Just got a Peruvian w/ esophageal dysmotility = Chagas on UWorld haha good thing I read this post yesterday

Kid living in a dilapidated building and is all cry-baby due to abdominal pain -Lead poisoning

House fires, arsonists- Cyanide poisoning.

Farmers: organophosphate poisoning.

Wool sorters or our mail boys- anthrax

I seem to like toxicology :)

G6PD Deficiency -- Arabs or Middle Easterns... I guess they are the only ppl that eat Fava beans!

Good, but you missed the mexican fajitas and buritos that contain fava beans too!!
Add the antimalarials and sulfa drugs to G6PD def...

I think people are confusing "stereotypes" with "most common cause of."

The lines blur at times, but in general there is a difference.

For example:

Stereotype: Mail man = anthrax
MCC: Smoking = lung cancer

Anyway, carry on.

Any answer choice with the word "smoking" or "cigarettes" in it is always the right answer.