list of things you do to prepare or practice for your interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asides from reading information from the school's website, going over SDN interview feedbacks and older posts, and going through your resume, what do you guys do to prepare or practice for your interviews? Let's make a list of things we do to prep for interviews to how each other out!:D

Members don't see this ad.

Asides from reading information from the school's website, going over SDN interview feedbacks and older posts, and going through your resume, what do you guys do to prepare or practice for your interviews? Let's make a list of things we do to prep for interviews to how each other out!:D

I go to the mall and steal a manikin from one of the department stores. Then I take it home and dress it up in a chicken suit. I prop up the manikin in a chair, across from where I sit, and practice talking to it while I smother gravy on my stomach.

Okay, seriously... I would look over common questions asked during an interview, and think about what answer you would give to them. I don't really do the whole mock interview with a person because I don't want to get in the habit of giving fake sounding answers.

A problem with me is that I say "um" and "like" a lot. But if I consciously try to not say these things, I end up stumbling with my answers and responses because I'm so preoccupied on trying so hard. So I'm just going to really hope that I have enough of a personality to win them over. Maybe I'll give a few winks and kisses, or slip them a twenty with a suave smile.

I think if you have no problem starting up a conversation with a stranger, you really don't need to prepare all that much, as long as your answers are consistent with your application. I'm NOT saying that you shouldn't prepare. This is just my opinion. Also, what if you're an a$$hole and you don't even know it? You should ask your friends if you come off as an a$$hole. And if you don't have any friends... well you should probably practice a lot then.

I don't really do the whole mock interview with a person because I don't want to get in the habit of giving fake sounding answers.

Having a fake sounding answer is better than freezing up and having no answer at all. ;)

But really... if your answer is honest and sincere, then you really don't have to worry about it sounding like you are a liar. Just make sure you don't sound like you are reading from a script.

Members don't see this ad :)
make sure to relax... of course you should have answers planned out, but rest well the night before, lay your outfit out, and just be yourself. make sure to act genuinely interested in their school, don't fall asleep during their financial aid talk. if they see that you're put off by their PBL, or by their research requirement, or by their location, or ANYTHING, they'll see through it and make note of it. better to act interested, and once you get accepted, decide later.

short and sweet - be enthusiastic, but natural =). good luck! :thumbup:

you can carry around a notpad or some sort to jot down information right?

where are u supposed to put your cell phone during an interivew? can you leave it in the admissions office? :confused:

where are u supposed to put your cell phone during an interivew? can you leave it in the admissions office? :confused:

turn it off dummy interview less than 1 hr

you pull a kumar and start talking LOL

My friend had a medschool interview in which they asked him, "so what do you want to talk about?"

Is that what some interviews will be like?? eek

I go to the mall and steal a manikin from one of the department stores. Then I take it home and dress it up in a chicken suit. I prop up the manikin in a chair, across from where I sit, and practice talking to it while I smother gravy on my stomach.

OMG funniest thing I have read in a long time! :laugh:

Seriously I almost choked and died while reading that statement and swallowing dr.pepper.

-Matthew

But can you take your purse with you to the actual interview? or should you leave it in the admissions office? can anyone who has interviewed help us out plz? what can you take with you to the actual interview?

well I had a small purse with me for personal items ( I don't know if ur a guy or girl)...pockets...maybe?... how big is ur cell phone?
-ld

But can you take your purse with you to the actual interview? or should you leave it in the admissions office? can anyone who has interviewed help us out plz? what can you take with you to the actual interview?

i took my purse into my interview...others did as well and even took a portfolio with them....
-ld

ur worried about ur cell phone??? omg leave it in ur car, or if ur out of state, leave it in ur hotel! u can live without ur phone for a little. lol. that's such a funny question.

they're not gonna reject you if you bring your cell phone, concealed in your pocket no less. they're not gonna x-ray you to ensure you aren't carrying anything. common sense.