list reasons why you want to work with the underserved

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tofurkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am interested in working with the underserved and I'm interested in hearing others' reasons and committment to this patient population. I'm interested in going into urban family practice.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tofurkey

Members don't see this ad.

someone's gotta do it. i'm not sure if i would make it an everyday thing but it sure wouldn't kill me if i spent a few hours a week helping out some uninsured/underserved ppl.

2 words: job security. if you're in an underserved area, you know you won't be rich, yet you won't be broke either. you won't run out of patients to see. i mean, why else would they call it "underserved?" in more developed areas, the people are more selective in who they want to treat them. so if you're a bad doctor, you might as well move away.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think u need to tell us first why you are going into it before youll get what you are looking for...well at least from me. why are you passionate about it? you should be able to answer that, be genuine about it, and have evidence. being honest when u answer is the most important.

so go for it, why? then i have some good stuff for you...

i am an URM, and I would like to help out other underserved people because their population is always increasing (while the representative minority population of physicians and scientists isn't).......as ashkan said, someone's gotta do it.

Because I am a conniseur of bad smells and I live to find the highest BMI compatible with life. (95 and counting)

I believe that if you're truly passionate about helping and healing people than you would want to help as many people as possible. Given that the underserved population in this country has a very limited access to health care, it would seem like they would need your help the most. Much like a previous poster, I wouldn't necessarily want to have a full-time position in an underserved area hospital, but wouldn't mind working a few days a week at such an area. I have worked on an ambulance in NYC and provided care for many patients majority of whom where the underserved and know quite well of their lack and need of quality medical care.

I wish to serve the impoverished people either of this country or another country because of their dire need of health care. These people's lives can be dramatically improved through basic health care. I believe that, unlike at most major medical facilities, serving the poor will be a chance to truly touch the lives of those you work with. That is why I am going in to medicine, to touch lives of people through the healing of medicine. I believe it is a calling and believe that many other people are called to practice at big facilities in nice places. Both have the opportunity to do something great.

"In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace" Ephesians 1:7

"There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord." Proverbs 21:30

Reactions: 1 user
Originally posted by Tofurkey
Hello,

I am interested in working with the underserved and I'm interested in hearing others' reasons and committment to this patient population. I'm interested in going into urban family practice.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tofurkey

It'll make scoring a fat crack rock ALOT easier