• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

listening to music while working

rleung3

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Hi,

I am wondering how common it is to listen to music while working as a pharmacist (especially in retail)? I worked at a hospital pharmacy, and they listsened to music all the time, but I am unsure of retail pharmacy.

I personally work better with some music (instrumental), so i just want to know whether listening to music while working as a pharmacist (hopefully someday) will be a possibility.

tussionex

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2007
po-town, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Hi,

I am wondering how common it is to listen to music while working as a pharmacist (especially in retail)? I worked at a hospital pharmacy, and they listsened to music all the time, but I am unsure of retail pharmacy.

I personally work better with some music (instrumental), so i just want to know whether listening to music while working as a pharmacist (hopefully someday) will be a possibility.

i work in a hospital, and simply cannot function without music in the background. i don't care what it is, just has to be music.
when i worked in retail, there was piped in music over the store's speakers...you were forever at the mercy of who ever picked the music... ie, christmas songs the day after halloween!

Idesiretosling

10+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I work as a tech for an independent when school allows and we have sirius radio. It makes working much more fun. We play little bit of everything depending on the pharmacist who is there. We were playing polka last time I worked, sparked so many funny conversations with customers.

About the Ads

psychoandy

10+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think "Fergalicious" gets sung at my pharmacy at least everyday, if not more.

Anyways, in both retail and inpatient pharmacy that I've worked at, rap music and/or 80s pop music blares all day long. I personally have my own set of speakers that I set up so I can blare my mixes of 80s glam metal, bad 90s pop music...basically really polarizing music that people love or hate. Pretty much any music makes the time go faster though...

pharmboy30

order entry monkey
10+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2006
desert
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
i work in a hospital, and simply cannot function without music in the background. i don't care what it is, just has to be music.
when i worked in retail, there was piped in music over the store's speakers...you were forever at the mercy of who ever picked the music... ie, christmas songs the day after halloween!

I agree, I hate the silence.
I usually try to bring something everyone will like, the radio doesn't get the best reception, so it usually gets stuck on the 80's/90's pop station.

tussionex

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2007
po-town, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I agree, I hate the silence.
I usually try to bring something everyone will like, the radio doesn't get the best reception, so it usually gets stuck on the 80's/90's pop station.

i have some techs with excellent tastes in music....we run our IV room like a dancehall!
when no one brings in any cd's it's time to turn to the trusy ipod!

All4MyDaughter

SDN Mommystrator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2005
Ivory Tower
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I haven't worked in a while but we can't hear the piped in music in our Wags pharmacy. So we sing. There is some dancing too (not very good dancing). My pref is 80's music. I think the last thing we grooved to when I was working was Ice, Ice, Baby. "Allright stop, collaborate and listen. Ice is back with my brand new invention..."

We always listen to music in our lab at school. The rotations students make the CD's. Apparently it's an official responsibility of theirs. The range is WIDE. It's not at all uncommon for one song to be 50cent and the next one to be Reba.

sdn1977

10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2005
Status (Visible)
There's always been music when I've worked as well...or, one benefit of actual AM/FM radio option, is the major news developments (I was actually working on the day the space shuttle exploded, 9-11 occurred, the day Reagan was shot, etc...)

But, we've always been respectful of personal dislikes (except in retail where they don't care!). If someone hates the type of music - we change it.

Music functions often as "white noise" so you can drown everything out & concentrate, if you have to.

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
The bottom of a pile of debt.
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
There's always been music when I've worked as well...or, one benefit of actual AM/FM radio option, is the major news developments (I was actually working on the day the space shuttle exploded, 9-11 occurred, the day Reagan was shot, etc...)

But, we've always been respectful of personal dislikes (except in retail where they don't care!). If someone hates the type of music - we change it.

Music functions often as "white noise" so you can drown everything out & concentrate, if you have to.

Had to go and add Reagan shooting. :laugh:

dr of rx

Voicemail Suks
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist

there are still DJ's on Sirius. I am sure if some huge news event happened, they would tell us.

but best of all, there are no commercials. :thumbup:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.