marycatherine

working on the pre-reqs
Nov 14, 2009
Virginia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
so I'm about to leave my job at the shelter (BECAUSE I GOT 2 NEW AMAZING JOBS!!!!) and I'm trying to get my numbers down to add into my embarrassingly-long Word document that have all my experiences/schedules/notes/etc.

I've logged about 1300 paid hours of work and 300 hours of volunteering-- haven't decided whether to lump them together or what, but it's all strictly animal experience. what I need help with is that I'm debating on listing "euthanasia tech" or something along those lines as a separate experience.

I would only be able to put around 25 hours, but in my time at my shelter I've become certified to euthanize in my state and for the past few weeks, following some sticky managerial firings, I've been one of the only two people able to euthanize-- the same girl and I have had to put down every single animal that's come up, when we usually have rotated between us and other staff members.

opinions? should I list this as a separate experience-- I'm more than willing to talk about it in an interview or whatnot-- or should I just write it in lumped in with my 1600 hours of shelter experience?

I know, I know, I'm nit-picking, but I just wanted to see if this was something that could make my application stand out or would be interesting enough to have its own category.

katryn

UTCVM c/o 2014!!!!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2009
Knoxville, TN
Status
Veterinary Student
I would probably just mention in the notes section of that whole experience that as part of the job you became certified to euthanize. That way it's mentioned, and can be talked about if your interviewers are interested. I don't think I would put it down as a separate experience all together though.

StartingoverVet

Flight Instructor for hire
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2010
Neither here nor there.
Status
Non-Student
I kind of disagree. I think it is unusual enough that you would want to make sure the adcoms notice it. Every part of your app is a chance to market yourself and you want the interesting highlights to come through. Not so many applicants will have that experience, and it will make you stand out a little more.

Also, since it required more than just showing up and being a volunteer it deserves recognition as a separate achievement!

I say, "put it as separate experience."

marycatherine

working on the pre-reqs
Nov 14, 2009
Virginia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I did not technically have a title for this job-- it was under my job title of Animal Care Technician, which is the 1300 hours of shelter experience (paid work, thank goodness). I think it seems morbid or kinda weird to write "20 hours of humanely euthanizing animals" but it also helped me to really understand some parts of the profession? hmmmmm

HopefulAg

Texas A&M CVM c/o 2014!
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2007
Status
Veterinarian
I'd probably list it. Euthanasia, IMO, is the hardest part of the profession and to see you've dealt with it solely for that long and still want to pursue the field, well I think that'd work in your favor.

david594

The-OSU CVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Id list it as probably the first thing under job responsibilities

Animal Care Teachnician
____Certified Euthanasia Tech
____Kennel Cleaner
____Puppy wagger
____Ect....

eventualeventer

Medical Tire Fire
10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2007
Status
Veterinary Student
Id list it as probably the first thing under job responsibilities

Animal Care Teachnician
____Certified Euthanasia Tech
____Kennel Cleaner
____Puppy wagger
____Ect....
Puppy wagger? Is that for the puppies who can't wag their own tails? :p

Jochebed

Ye Must Be Born Again
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2008
Status
Veterinary Student
I did not technically have a title for this job-- it was under my job title of Animal Care Technician, which is the 1300 hours of shelter experience (paid work, thank goodness). I think it seems morbid or kinda weird to write "20 hours of humanely euthanizing animals" but it also helped me to really understand some parts of the profession? hmmmmm
If this was not a separate job, then list it with the Animal Care Technician responsibilities, etc. I definitely think you should include it, though, just not as a separate job.

Jan 31, 2010
Minnesota
Status
Veterinary Student
I listed euthanasia as one of my responsibilities as an animal care tech. Like you, I wanted to point out that I'd done it, but at the same time, it wasn't a separate job with its own title so it didn't warrant independent mention.

Edit: I actually buried it a bit, putting it last in the job's responsibilities list, because I was afraid of coming across a little too eager to talk about killing animals. I don't think my reasoning was totally right there, though - it probably would have been better to emphasize it more than I did.

marycatherine

working on the pre-reqs
Nov 14, 2009
Virginia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I think listing it as part of my job will work, if they want to ask about it, they'll find it! Thanks everyone!

Dec 2, 2009
CA
Status
Pre-Veterinary
List it in the job responsibilities of Animal Care Technichian. Thats how you would list it on a resume. I think its more professional. :)