listing poster presentation/abstract on CV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chenelsea3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, next month I am going to an international conference to present a poster (!!!!). The abstract for my poster is also going to be published in a special supplement to a fairly high impact journal in my field of interest. My question is, when I list this on my CV, which should I list it under? I was thinking either under a) International Conference Poster Presentations (or something like that) or b)Published Abstracts. I've done several poster presentations but never had anything published, although I hope to have something submitted fairly soon. Which looks better?

Members don't see this ad.

It belongs under 'Conference Presentations' or 'Presentations'. :)

At my university, the faculty are required to use a standard format CV for things like annual review and promotion consideration. In this format, 'published abstracts' are separate from 'conference presentations.'

Of course, your published abstract is derived from a conference presentation - but in this case, I would actually put it under published abstracts. The problem is that, over time, you're likely to have a lot less in this section of your CV than your 'conference presentations' section, so it may look a bit lean. On the other hand, if you regularly present at a conference that publishes abstracts in a journal (Research Society on Alcoholism comes to mind), then you'll likely fill this section in over time! Alternatively, if you are presenting the bulk of your work at ABCT, then you're not going to have a lot of published abstracts.

Members don't see this ad :)
It belongs under 'Conference Presentations' or 'Presentations'. :)

This actually is wrong... by technical definition, an "Abstract" IS something that was published in either the proceedings of that symposium (i.e., in a dedicated edition of a journal) or published in some other way... So saying "published abstract" is redundant :)...

Having said this, somewhere on here I posted my CV, but I tend to have 2 separate categories, I have the Conference Presentations section and the Abstracts section, because not every conference presentation results in an abstract...

Under Conference presentations, I tend to put a) whether it was a platform vs poster, and b) technical details of the conference or symposium as well as things like title etc

under abstract, you list the citation, i.e., what journal or book it was published in, page number, etc, or if it was published online then give the website... you dont put technical details of the symposium nor what type of talk it was, because an abstract is simply the reference that you were there and what it was you gave....

So i would have two different sections that give two very different bits of information on the same thing...

This actually is wrong... by technical definition, an "Abstract" IS something that was published in either the proceedings of that symposium (i.e., in a dedicated edition of a journal) or published in some other way... So saying "published abstract" is redundant :)...

Having said this, somewhere on here I posted my CV, but I tend to have 2 separate categories, I have the Conference Presentations section and the Abstracts section, because not every conference presentation results in an abstract...

Under Conference presentations, I tend to put a) whether it was a platform vs poster, and b) technical details of the conference or symposium as well as things like title etc

under abstract, you list the citation, i.e., what journal or book it was published in, page number, etc, or if it was published online then give the website... you dont put technical details of the symposium nor what type of talk it was, because an abstract is simply the reference that you were there and what it was you gave....

So i would have two different sections that give two very different bits of information on the same thing...

Link to vita http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Aaa7BtfLZL3SZGZ4Mng5YzZfM2RxOW1rZGY4&hl=en

ps, glad I looked because I kind of forgot to put the references on the abstracts for the last 3 works, sometimes there is a delay waiting for the journal to publish the abstract, so you dont know what or when it is coming out! haha