Listing potentially negative things on secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Z

Zyzzyva100

Ok, so to clear up what I mean a bit:

I repeated ochem I because the professor was terrible, and I didn't learn anything. I actually got a C+, but I still retook the class with a different professor to actually learn the material. Now I put this on my primary app, and was truthful about the grade even though my university replaces grades after repeats, and doesn't keep the old grade on file or put in on the transcripts.

Now with some secondaries (like Pitt) you are asked to fill out some class info again. Am I best to just fill out the info the same way as I did on the primary? Or should I just list the class in which I actually recieved a grade and leave it at that?

I was completely honest on my primary, even listed two classes I "withdrew from" (really a freshman forgiveness policy at my university that lets freshman drop classes later than the 2 week drop/add period) that didn't even show on my transcript. Now I am wondering if being completely honest about this will come back to bite me.

Anyone else have opinions on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Zyzzyva100 said:
Ok, so to clear up what I mean a bit:

I repeated ochem I because the professor was terrible, and I didn't learn anything. I actually got a C+, but I still retook the class with a different professor to actually learn the material. Now I put this on my primary app, and was truthful about the grade even though my university replaces grades after repeats, and doesn't keep the old grade on file or put in on the transcripts.

Now with some secondaries (like Pitt) you are asked to fill out some class info again. Am I best to just fill out the info the same way as I did on the primary? Or should I just list the class in which I actually recieved a grade and leave it at that?

I was completely honest on my primary, even listed two classes I "withdrew from" (really a freshman forgiveness policy at my university that lets freshman drop classes later than the 2 week drop/add period) that didn't even show on my transcript. Now I am wondering if being completely honest about this will come back to bite me.

Anyone else have opinions on this?

I haven't seen the Pitt Secondary, But I assume they're just asking for the course you took to fulfill their requirement to verify that you've met it. In that case, list the course you took with the highest grade, they'll see the retake on AMCAS if they want to look for it.

Depakote said:
I haven't seen the Pitt Secondary, But I assume they're just asking for the course you took to fulfill their requirement to verify that you've met it. In that case, list the course you took with the highest grade, they'll see the retake on AMCAS if they want to look for it.

Sounds fair enough. Their secondary isn't terribly clear (unless I am not seeing part of the directions), but I assume that is all they want. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depakote said:

I did the Pitt secondary and if I was you, this is exactly what I would do.
On another note, were you working from an OFFICIAL transcript (the expensive ones, with all the seals and everything?!) because your school might show those classes on an official whereas you might not see it online or on unofficial. Just a thought.

jackieMD2007 said:
I did the Pitt secondary and if I was you, this is exactly what I would do.
On another note, were you working from an OFFICIAL transcript (the expensive ones, with all the seals and everything?!) because your school might show those classes on an official whereas you might not see it online or on unofficial. Just a thought.

I was working from an official transcript. My school is actually pretty good about letting student fixes mistakes without causes giant "blemishes" on transcripts. The freshman forgiveness policy is even explained on the back of the offical transcripts, but I doubt AMCAS bothered to look at that, and I most adcoms probably won't see it.

For Pitt, I listed 4 entries for gen chem:

Gen Chem 1 (1999 Notre Dame) D
Gen Chem 2 (2000 Notre Dame) F
Gen Chem 1 (2004 Pitt) A
Gen Chem 2 (2005 Pitt) A-

Keep in mind, my grades from '99-'00 were absolutely abysmal. My intent was to show the improvement jump out at the reader immediately (they all see the same stats one way or another). If like the OP however and all you have is a C, then you might not need to list it.

Of course, I still have yet to hear from them, despite me being an employee there to begin with.