lithium or valproic-1st line

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfpropsychguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys-quick question. Kaplan has written that Lithium is first line and valproic acid is second line treatment for Bipolar disorder. Crush has written that lithium and Valproic are 1st line. Boards and wards has written that Valproic is 1st line and lithium is second line.

I basically just want the right answer for step 2.

Can anyone help?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys-quick question. Kaplan has written that Lithium is first line and valproic acid is second line treatment for Bipolar disorder. Crush has written that lithium and Valproic are 1st line. Boards and wards has written that Valproic is 1st line and lithium is second line.

I basically just want the right answer for step 2.

Can anyone help?
Thanks

According to the APA Practice Guidelines, both are first line. I imagine that the right answer for Step 2 may take into account issues of comorbid liver or kidney badness if it forces you to choose between the two.

Members don't see this ad :)
...and if it's a mixed episode.

You're more likely to be asked which mood stabilizer is the only one statistically proven to reduce suicide. :)

I hate when this bull happens.

I remember several times in kaplan books, one section said one answer was the right thing to do in an exact situation.

Then another section, pretty much almost the same question & situation, and then the answer is different--and this section's written by a different author.

So what's the right answer!?!?!?

I'd go with the APA answer. You got to remember that some of these study guides were written by people who aren't much higher than yourself. Maybe they're just a few years ahead.

Man I am so glad I'm done with USMLE for this reason. I hated that bull.

Don't forget the impact of things like breastfeeding or pregnancy on which you would use...