LIU Brooklyn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ktachiba

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody on here go to LIU Brooklyn? Or heard anything about the program? If so, could you let me know any type of information. My main concern is the low graduation rate (85%), but I don't really want to ask them about it during my interview. Any information about the school would be appreciated though. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I visited in June and LOVED it. It's a nice little contained campus within the heart of the city. It was an impromptu visit and I just showed up and asked if there was anyone to talk to at that time, and they went and found someone for me to talk to and made sure all my questions got answered. I felt they went out of their way to help me out, which I can say several other schools have not tried at all. I mentioned the 85% graduation rate and he kind of made a face but basically said that graduation rates can be low for a number of reasons. They give their students as much help as they need, I believe he said it was a very open door policy with professors and that the resources were their should students need help. He wasn't more specific than that, but that's kind of understandable.
Given my experience though it really does seem like they would go out of their way to help a student who needed help, so I think while 85% is low, there are a lot of things that impact the graduation rate besides quality of the program. That being said, I'd love to hear from a student who goes there and can speak to that, because obviously I'm just making assumptions. Hope that helps a little!

Reactions: 1 user
So I visited in June and LOVED it. It's a nice little contained campus within the heart of the city. It was an impromptu visit and I just showed up and asked if there was anyone to talk to at that time, and they went and found someone for me to talk to and made sure all my questions got answered. I felt they went out of their way to help me out, which I can say several other schools have not tried at all. I mentioned the 85% graduation rate and he kind of made a face but basically said that graduation rates can be low for a number of reasons. They give their students as much help as they need, I believe he said it was a very open door policy with professors and that the resources were their should students need help. He wasn't more specific than that, but that's kind of understandable.
Given my experience though it really does seem like they would go out of their way to help a student who needed help, so I think while 85% is low, there are a lot of things that impact the graduation rate besides quality of the program. That being said, I'd love to hear from a student who goes there and can speak to that, because obviously I'm just making assumptions. Hope that helps a little!
Thanks for the info! Yeah it looks like a quality program with nice facilities... I'm thinking since it's an expensive school in an expensive city, a lot of the more competitive accepted students decline to go there so they are forced to accept students with lower GPA's who might not have the best studying habits, which in turn might be the reason for their low graduation rate. But then again, USC has a good graduation rate and they are even more expensive so who knows.

Members don't see this ad :)
What made you love the program?

Hmm. I think a lot of it was how readily they stopped their days and found someone to talk to me with no notice. They went out of their way to answer my questions, and it made me feel like that was the atmosphere in the program. They said the students had a very good relationship with professors, and I found it very hard to believe otherwise. It seemed like these professors would go out of their way to help their students, but that's just my presumption based on one experience. I will say though that I showed at another school on that same trip and said exactly the same thing, and I got told "No one can help you, come back another day". I decided on the spot not to apply to that school.
Another I really liked in general was just the campus. I was worried about the size of the school and how I would feel in such a small institution and campus compared to my undergrad, which has 20,000 undergrads and a huge campus. I really liked the enclosed campus area, and honestly I love that it has its own contained space in the middle of Brooklyn. It was a refreshing atmosphere. Also Fort Greene is beautiful. It's right down the road from a hospital and Fort Greene park, which is surrounded on 3 sides by brownstones and 1 side projects. From what I've heard it's one of the "trendy" neighborhoods in Brooklyn.
I actually felt like the program maybe had less to offer than other schools in terms of opportunities they provide their student. They don't do community service or research really, and they don't have connections with any professional sports teams if that's what you're into. They do have relations with some dance companies and dance PT facilities but he said clinical rotations with these are extremely competitive, so it's not something to count on as a draw to apply. Their biggest "why us" seemed to be that they're in the middle of the city, and that in itself provided many opportunities. It is a great place to be, and I suppose it does lend itself to networking and more opportunities, but I was a little disappointed by that given how much they much. I expected them to be able to at least have all these tangible programs and opportunities they offer their students.
I don't think it'll be my first choice, but I'd certainly have no problem going if I got in. For honesty's sake I'll also mention that my boyfriend lives in NJ (I'm currently in NC), so the fact that LIU is in New York definitely helped its case ;)
Hope that helps! If you have any specific questions I can try and help or see if I have anything in my notes about it.
Oh, and they have a great virtual tour on the normal LIU website if you want a sense for the campus.

Hmm. I think a lot of it was how readily they stopped their days and found someone to talk to me with no notice. They went out of their way to answer my questions, and it made me feel like that was the atmosphere in the program. They said the students had a very good relationship with professors, and I found it very hard to believe otherwise. It seemed like these professors would go out of their way to help their students, but that's just my presumption based on one experience. I will say though that I showed at another school on that same trip and said exactly the same thing, and I got told "No one can help you, come back another day". I decided on the spot not to apply to that school.
Another I really liked in general was just the campus. I was worried about the size of the school and how I would feel in such a small institution and campus compared to my undergrad, which has 20,000 undergrads and a huge campus. I really liked the enclosed campus area, and honestly I love that it has its own contained space in the middle of Brooklyn. It was a refreshing atmosphere. Also Fort Greene is beautiful. It's right down the road from a hospital and Fort Greene park, which is surrounded on 3 sides by brownstones and 1 side projects. From what I've heard it's one of the "trendy" neighborhoods in Brooklyn.
I actually felt like the program maybe had less to offer than other schools in terms of opportunities they provide their student. They don't do community service or research really, and they don't have connections with any professional sports teams if that's what you're into. They do have relations with some dance companies and dance PT facilities but he said clinical rotations with these are extremely competitive, so it's not something to count on as a draw to apply. Their biggest "why us" seemed to be that they're in the middle of the city, and that in itself provided many opportunities. It is a great place to be, and I suppose it does lend itself to networking and more opportunities, but I was a little disappointed by that given how much they much. I expected them to be able to at least have all these tangible programs and opportunities they offer their students.
I don't think it'll be my first choice, but I'd certainly have no problem going if I got in. For honesty's sake I'll also mention that my boyfriend lives in NJ (I'm currently in NC), so the fact that LIU is in New York definitely helped its case ;)
Hope that helps! If you have any specific questions I can try and help or see if I have anything in my notes about it.
Oh, and they have a great virtual tour on the normal LIU website if you want a sense for the campus.

Wow thanks for the great feedback! It sounds like a good school, other than cost and slightly low graduation rate. It sounds like they have good orthopedic professors based on their website, as well as state of the art equipment/facilities. I also like the look of their gym and the fact that they have an on-site clinic. Also, being from the Westcoast and not having to bring my car along with me is a major plus. Do you know if students get to work in the clinic during their time in school?

I'm not sure about that, but I'm sure you could email them and ask. My guess is no, they prefer to send students to other sites for clinical rotations because the connections you meet are potential jobs when you graduate. Doing a rotation on site doesn't really help much with networking or gaining some new experiences.

I'm not sure about that, but I'm sure you could email them and ask. My guess is no, they prefer to send students to other sites for clinical rotations because the connections you meet are potential jobs when you graduate. Doing a rotation on site doesn't really help much with networking or gaining some new experiences.
That's true. I know some programs like Puget Sound have a clinic on site that they use to help students out before sending them to clinicals. But it's not a big deal. I'm excited to check it out on Monday, I'll let you know how it goes!