LIU vs Temple?? Any advice would be appreciated :)

Started by jijihanna
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jijihanna

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I just recently, and unexpectedly, got a accepted into Temple pharmacy school , and also got an invitation for an interview at LIU which I scheduled 2 weeks from now. In case I do get accepted into LIU, and since I know I'm a horrible decision maker, thought I should start getting more info and opinions so that i can make my decision

LIU Pros:
1. closer to my home at Jersey, so I can actually manage to live at home and commute by train (will be an hour and a half commute, but staying home is really important to me)
2. I already know few people who go there

Cons:
1. the campus is really small and I wouldnt say it's well maintained
2. I keep reading many negative comments about the school, some even say it's a waste of money and that they didn't learn anything there (im already taking a class there this semester, can't really say that all students there are taking school seriously)

Temple Pros:
1. I had a better impression about the program during the interview, heard the faculty are great and the overall program is decent
2. the campus is relatively better

Cons:
1. I will have to move to philly not just that this will cost me a lot, but the area is seriously dangerous
2. Since I'm planning to go back to jersey eventually, im not sure if going to school in PA will help me in terms of finding internships or making connections for eventually getting a job (correct me if im wrong)


So far the cost is roughly the same for the two schools since I will be paying out of state tuition (might end up even more expensive at temple because of the living costs)

Sorry for the long post but would really like to know from current students if my idea about the two schools are correct. Also, how much does the school reputation really matter when it eventually comes to finding a job? I'm really hoping on working in either the clinical or the industrial fields, so not just retail. The interviewer at Temple kept stressing the clinical experience Ii can get at Temple especially because of the university hospital, but on the other hand going to LIU would keep me close to the many pharmaceutical companies here at jersey??
 
So I just recently, and unexpectedly, got a accepted into Temple pharmacy school , and also got an invitation for an interview at LIU which I scheduled 2 weeks from now. In case I do get accepted into LIU, and since I know I'm a horrible decision maker, thought I should start getting more info and opinions so that i can make my decision

LIU Pros:
1. closer to my home at Jersey, so I can actually manage to live at home and commute by train (will be an hour and a half commute, but staying home is really important to me)
2. I already know few people who go there

Cons:
1. the campus is really small and I wouldnt say it's well maintained
2. I keep reading many negative comments about the school, some even say it's a waste of money and that they didn't learn anything there (im already taking a class there this semester, can't really say that all students there are taking school seriously)

Temple Pros:
1. I had a better impression about the program during the interview, heard the faculty are great and the overall program is decent
2. the campus is relatively better

Cons:
1. I will have to move to philly not just that this will cost me a lot, but the area is seriously dangerous
2. Since I'm planning to go back to jersey eventually, im not sure if going to school in PA will help me in terms of finding internships or making connections for eventually getting a job (correct me if im wrong)


So far the cost is roughly the same for the two schools since I will be paying out of state tuition (might end up even more expensive at temple because of the living costs)

Sorry for the long post but would really like to know from current students if my idea about the two schools are correct. Also, how much does the school reputation really matter when it eventually comes to finding a job? I'm really hoping on working in either the clinical or the industrial fields, so not just retail. The interviewer at Temple kept stressing the clinical experience Ii can get at Temple especially because of the university hospital, but on the other hand going to LIU would keep me close to the many pharmaceutical companies here at jersey??

Haha you are comparing LIU to another school, seriously? Have you asked your few friends how is it there? Do you have any friends in the PharmD program? EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY FREINDS, ESPECIALLY IN THE PROGRAM TOLD ME IT IS THE WORST PROGRAM EVER.

My bro is a pre-pharmacy there and he wants to get into their program because it's like 10 minutes away but he said the buildings are bad quality, labs have really bad and dirty equipment and everything just plain sucks. I applied to LIU and buffalo and asked the pharmacy students there which should I get into and they laughed at me and said to choose buffalo any day.

Do some search before you regret paying around 40k a year with a steady increase in tuition. Go to LIU facebook page and see what the students are complaining about. All LIU do with the millions of money is keep it to themselves or spend it in advertising their college by putting their logo in many many buses in NYC.

Now don't think I'm throwing you away to just take your seat at LIU. I actually got accepted into SUNY buffalo and will be going there.


Best of luck after all!
 
Well I asked for an honest opinion and you gave me one! Just notice that I'm not just comparing two schools but rather two situations. But thanks a lot!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey I am in the same situation too
I heard a lot of great things about temple. They really have a great program from what I have heard from my pharmacist who is a graduate from there. The only negative aspect is the location of the school. Also she recommended not living on campus but rather living off campus.
Liu I know is mostly known for their nursing and pharmacy program.
But another pharmacist who went there told me that the program is good except that many ppl do not finish the program in 4 years.
I live in NYC so Liu would be cheaper for me than moving to Philly.

But at this point it all depends on financial aid..
I hope i helped u in some way..
Continue to do ur research n keep me posted too

All the best!
 
Yeah it's a tough decision =/ so far I'm leaning more toward Temple but like you said it depends on financial aid. I'll definitely keep you posted and please do the same!