Step I Liver Pathology question

Started by canary90
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

canary90

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can someone please explain that when there is an elevated serum ALP and a marginally elevated ALT and contrast enhanced CT scan of abdomen shows multiple lesions
Is it liver metastasis or cholangiocarcinoma? And why? Why not the other one?
 
Last edited:
The answer was indeed Liver metastasis and that's how it looks looking at the CT scan; however since the question stem states ALP>> ALT, I picked cholangiocarcinoma, which was a wrong choice.
I fail to understand if its liver metastasis why does the stem say ALP>>ALT which is more of a sign of obstructive lesion...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Raised ALP is an indicator of any sort of duct damage, not just obstruction; so it could be raised in either of these conditions. Also, ALP is a pretty non-specific marker.

The CT on the other hand supports a diagnosis of metastasis, so its the best answer, imo.

That makes sense... True, CT goes with metastasis. I shouldn't overthink :blackeye:😀
Thanks! 🙂