Living in Buffalo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swimmerUt80

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to accept my offer to Buffalo and now I am looking for places to live. Can anyone recomend places to stay that are very near to campus?

Members don't see this ad.

yes, buffalo!

There is a street near South Campus called Elmwood. It is full of college kids which can be noisey at times I'm sure, but makes it fairly safe. If you go down just a little from there, still on Elmwood (which is a LONG street), there are a bunch of streets you can googlemap around Anderson Place (name of a good street) in the more trendy but quieter spot, not far from campus and some of the apartments there beautiful and not THAT expensive. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you plan to have a car, live in the town of Amherst. You'll find yourself much closer to school than driving from Elmwood every morning.

You definitely want to live in Amherst. The bulk of my classmates either live in Amherst or live within walking distance of the school. I've known of a couple of students who lived somehat close to Elmwood for their first year but then moved closer to campus for 2nd year and after.

At some point in the near future, there will be a site where you can post looking for housing, and there will be many upperclassmen also posting looking for roomates. Here is the link to the site from last year: http://orientation.sdm.buffalo.edu/

Good luck.

Do most dental students live off campus or are we not even allowed to live on campus?

Do most dental students live off campus or are we not even allowed to live on campus?

I think I recall them saying that we wouldn't be allowed to live on campus, which I wouldn't want to anyway. Having your own place is soo much better.

Unless things have changed, there is no housing for grad students on South Campus. There are some traditional undergrad dorms, but I have never known any dental students who lived there. There is a lot of nice newer housing available for grad students on the North Campus, I had friends and classmates who lived in these town-house style apartments. But it is really easy to find comparable off campus apartments too.

I posted this somewhere else, but I'm too lazy to look it up so I'll post again. (There are several threads out there about UB housing if you do a search.)

One of the great things about Buffalo is that living here is SUPER cheap. I mean, if you're willing to just have a room in a house somewhere, you can live for $250-300/month inclusive! It's crazy. So, if you have a bit more in your budget, you can live in a really, really nice place.

Most people either live right around south campus or, for some reason which I don't really understand, closer to north campus which is nicer and quieter, but there's much less to do there. If you live around campus it's mostly houses, so you'd have a floor or a room within a house. (Nearby streets are Winspear, Lisbon, Englewood, Heath, Northrup, and University Ave.) Some of the streets are a bit louder and have partying undergrads, but I live a mile away from school in a cute, tree-lined residential street and I still walk to class every day. There is also an apartment complex called University Court which is right across from south campus and 1-bedrooms there are around $675 (with all utilities included.) If you can, I'd highly recommend finding a place with utilities because heat can get so expensive in the winter. It is easy to get a safe, nice place within walking distance, but there's nothing actually ON the south campus.

Other places to look are Craigslist (http://buffalo.craigslist.org/apa/) and SubBoard (http://subboard.com/sbi-och/) In both, you can search for "UB south" "south campus", etc. to make sure it's really close. Walking can sometimes be faster than driving in the winter because people have to dig out, scrape, and warm up their cars before navigating the roads at 15mph. :)

If you're willing to do the 10-15 minute drive you can find a place in a more trendy spot like the Elmwood district (coffee shops/art galleries) or in quiet suburbs like Williamsville and Snyder. I wouldn't recommend Allentown because it's MUCH more expensive than even downtown or Elmwood and there's not much to show for it. For 850 you can have a downtown loft or a cute place above a shop on Elmwood (or a 3-bedroom near campus!) As for all places, try to see everything before you commit...you can make a bunch of appointments for one weekend and do all the visiting then.

Do not live in allentown lol...

My apt is 12 minute drive from campus, in Williamsville. It is a 2 floor, 2.5 bedroom, 1.5 bathroom duplex with a full basement. The size isn't too bad, neither are the utilities. Driveway is plowed during the winter, landscaping taken care of in the summer. The neighborhood is very safe and the school systems are great (if you have a family). It isn't a downtown neighborhood, so you won't have bars and trendy coffee shops next door, but then again...people won't be breaking into your car at night either. If you are interested, pm me and I will answer any other questions you have and get you the landlords address.

I'm senior in UB. Stay away from the south campus. Most of my friends live in Amherst,East Amherst, and Williamsville. There is street called Chest Nut Ridge, and place called Blouvard Tower. From what I've seen last 3 1/2years, DO NOT LIVE CLOSE TO THE SOUTH CAMPUS. We just had 2 shooting, numerous bulgery happened on close to the south campus. I live in East Amherst, place called Autumn Creek Lane Community and the price is 1700 for 2 bed and 2 baths..Hope this help...

I'm senior in UB. Stay away from the south campus. Most of my friends live in Amherst,East Amherst, and Williamsville. There is street called Chest Nut Ridge, and place called Blouvard Tower. From what I've seen last 3 1/2years, DO NOT LIVE CLOSE TO THE SOUTH CAMPUS. We just had 2 shooting, numerous bulgery happened on close to the south campus. I live in East Amherst, place called Autumn Creek Lane Community and the price is 1700 for 2 bed and 2 baths..Hope this help...

The areas you mentioned are expensive...there are plenty of cheaper, safer areas...and you can live near south campus, just not south of windemere

You should be able to find a 2 BR apartment or townhouse for approx $800 in Amherst. Someone mentioned Chestnut Ridge Road - a good place to look because there are lots of condo complexes there. Once you get to East Amherst, the prices and commuting distance both go up. The only real benefit you'd get in East Amherst is being in the Williamsville School District if that matters to you.

I wouldn't live near south campus. The houses on the streets surrounding the university are all very old, and the area behind the campus is not desirable at all. All of my friends & I lived and mostly hung out in Amherst. When we went downtown it was usually as a group to go eat somewhere or for some school social event.

What's the recommended walking distance to find safe housing?

What's the recommended walking distance to find safe housing?

Just north of the campus across main st, near bailey on the amherst side...you could rent from the cheap apartments there, but they are crappy and you have to deal with MJ Peterson...

You can find some apartments in that area from private home owners though...you could also live off of heath or some of the nearby streets, but they are cheaper, older apartments in slightly rowdier neighborhoods. There will also be an orientation site set up for you soon where you can get housing info and talk to students

The areas you mentioned are expensive...there are plenty of cheaper, safer areas...and you can live near south campus, just not south of windemere

It's really east (Bailey and beyond) and then farther south (closer to downtown/Anchor Bar area) that are bad. North Buffalo in general is the wealthiest part of the actual city of Buffalo, like Woodbridge, Parkside, Beard, Wesley, etc. They have all the gorgeous columned mansions and tudor half-million dollar houses and all that. My street is parallel to it, but nowhere close otherwise :D :D I'd say anything between Hertel and Amherst ave. has some amazing neighborhoods.

It's really east (Bailey and beyond) and then farther south (closer to downtown/Anchor Bar area) that are bad. North Buffalo in general is the wealthiest part of the actual city of Buffalo, like Woodbridge, Parkside, Beard, Wesley, etc. They have all the gorgeous columned mansions and tudor half-million dollar houses and all that. My street is parallel to it, but nowhere close otherwise :D :D I'd say anything between Hertel and Amherst ave. has some amazing neighborhoods.

At the school, the east side is actually due south of south campus. Not many dental students could afford to live just east of the school :p Although, the street I meant to mention was Winspear that you do not want to live south of. North Buffalo is nice and if you want the true north buffalo experience, I would live between starin and elmwood (although preferrably delaware), linwood and taunton. This area is the more affordable while safer part of north buffalo to live in. The only reason I picked taunton as my northern border, is that if you go any farther north, you are not in north buffalo anymore. You could go all the way to amherst if you like, although, I would stay a few blocks away from main st and amherst. Fillmore is a rough street and the closer you are to it, the more stragglers you may get wandering down your street at night looking for a car to break into. As a general rule, I wouldn't live on the east side of main st. past minnesota. ave and if you do decide to live on a street east of main near the school, I would live on the first block or 2 closest to main. Especially if you are a female or live with a female. Plenty of students live in the areas I have advised you not to live in and have no problems. In my opinion, it is just not worth the risk.