Living in Knoxville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kat0303

UTCVM co 2012 WOOOOOOO!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello...
I've been reading these forums for about 1 1/2 years now, and I am finally going to post!

I have a question about living in Knoxville. Does the college of vet medicine have student housing (apts or dorms)? Do they have married /family housing units? Also, does anyone know if the apartments/rental houses in the area are more lenient than normal on allowing tenants to have pets? In my past experience, it has been hard to find apartment buildings that allow pets, but I thought maybe if there is student housing for vet students, that they would be more likely to allow pets than other schools. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello...
I've been reading these forums for about 1 1/2 years now, and I am finally going to post!

I have a question about living in Knoxville. Does the college of vet medicine have student housing (apts or dorms)? Do they have married /family housing units? Also, does anyone know if the apartments/rental houses in the area are more lenient than normal on allowing tenants to have pets? In my past experience, it has been hard to find apartment buildings that allow pets, but I thought maybe if there is student housing for vet students, that they would be more likely to allow pets than other schools. Thanks!

Hi and welcome. I live in knoxville right now and I have to say that finding a place for pets here is not that easy. The student housing that they have is all through the entire university. I'm pretty sure none of it is pet friendly or will allow pets. If you do a search on some of the rent sites like rent.com, you can find some places that will allow pets. I am going to be getting my family's cats sometime this summer, so I found a place that will accept up to two pets both under 25 pounds. A lot of places have similar restrictions on the number and/or weight of pets. Those that don't tend to be more expensive not including the pet deposit, but I'm sure you'll be able to find something. At the interviews last year, they handed out knoxville apartment guides. Most said whether or not they accepted pets.

Hello...

I'll second some of what dyachei said. There really isn't married student housing that I know of. I found that the apartments I looked at in North Knoxville had a lot more pet restrictions than the ones where I live in West Knoxville. There are generally breed restrictions if you rent an apartment, but where I live it's two dogs or cats, no weight limit. There are other students who rent houses that have less restrictions on pets you can have. I have a friend, she and her husband rent a house for a reasonable amount, and they have 3 dogs, a lizard of some sort, a frog, and a rabbit. Renting houses here isn't that expensive, especially if your SO will have a job.

Yea, my husband and I were going to look at rental houses instead of apts, because I figured that they have more potential of being more accepting of pets. We have 3 cats and a medium size dog, so really we are 2 cats over the limit for most apts (including our apt. right now, but they don't have to know about that...;))

Unfortunately, my husband will be a phd student, so his small stipend will be our only income...but that is what loans are for right?:rolleyes:
Thanks for the responses.