Living in Memphis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hmarie224

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering exactly what it is like living in Memphis. I have been reading a lot about how the city has a really high crime rate and is really racially divided right now. SCO is one of my top choices that I will be applying to in the fall, but I currently live in Detroit and I definitely do not want to move somewhere that is going to be like Detroit. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I want to make sure that these next 4 years will be good!

Members don't see this ad.

Yea, I've heard similar stories. I live in Tallahassee and go to FSU and I'm deciding between SCO and NOVA. I'm swaying heavily towards NOVA because of the passage rates on the FL board exams and I want to stay in FL most likely. Also, some friends I want to room with are going there. Ft. Lauderdale is niiice, probably nicer than Memphis. However, I'm going to check Memphis out in July most likely. So, maybe I'm not of real help but I know an optometrist who went to FSU and then went to SCO and he wanted to come back to Tallahassee ASAP because of the city. He chose SCO because back then NOVA wasn't accredited. Today he would've chosen NOVA so there you go. Hope that helps somewhat.

Yea, I've heard similar stories. I live in Tallahassee and go to FSU and I'm deciding between SCO and NOVA. I'm swaying heavily towards NOVA because of the passage rates on the FL board exams and I want to stay in FL most likely. Also, some friends I want to room with are going there. Ft. Lauderdale is niiice, probably nicer than Memphis. However, I'm going to check Memphis out in July most likely. So, maybe I'm not of real help but I know an optometrist who went to FSU and then went to SCO and he wanted to come back to Tallahassee ASAP because of the city. He chose SCO because back then NOVA wasn't accredited. Today he would've chosen NOVA so there you go. Hope that helps somewhat.

Sounds like you already made up your mind.

You should let one school or the other know soon because alllllll those people on the waiting lists are DYING for a spot.

Memphis is great-ish. I don't know about FL, but have you asked about national board passage rates between the two schools? I'll stop there, I don't want to start trouble. ALL THE SCHOOLS ARE GREAT (in there own ways)!

Good luck picking, you are going to do great in school!