living in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LucidDreaming

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to live in NYC in a 1BR on a resident's salary....without any additional income??? =) Any tips or suggestions just in case I end up there?

Members don't see this ad.

Manhattan? Short answer: No. Renting an apartment in NYC is nightmarish - there are income requirements that will severely limit you, even if you are willing to come out of savings for the privilege of living in NYC. Vacancy rates are down around 1 percent - if you can't, or don't want to play the game, they don't give a flip about you.

People move to Brooklyn, etc., for cheaper rents (cheaper is a relative term). Commuting to a gig on Manhattan via buses and trains is freaking miserable - I did the reverse commute for rotations in Brooklyn, and it is awful day after day.

Now if your residency is on an outer borough, it becomes more feasible with less wear and tear on the soul. But chances are it will not be the NYC of your dreams...

Final point: many of the people in my NYC med school class are from wealthy families (I am not). And many of the residents are also from money. So when you scratch your head and wonder how so-and-so lives on the UES, think big bank.

I don't even plan to interview for NYC residencies. I don't have the coin to live there.

It is possible but certainly more financially and logistically challenging than just about anywhere else in the country. To mitigate this challenge most of the NYC residency programs offer some kind of subsidized housing although not everyone gets it and it isn't always a ton cheaper, but anything is better than nothing right?

It isn't impossible to get a 1BR for a "reasonable" price (<2,000/month) by any means, but you might not be in the exact neighborhood you want, or have all the conveniences (elevator, laundry, etc).

The one thing that might be a little bit of a pain is actually getting the apartment. Brokers are annoying and often times you have to pay random fees that don't seem necessary. Plus you may need a guarantor if your residency salary is not sufficient to prove you are able to pay the rent. Not everyone is willing to take a guarantor, but people make it work.

However, if you are really interested in going to NYC, if there is one thing New Yorkers LOVE to talk about it is their apartment and how they got it and all that. So talk to the residents in the programs you interview at and find out their situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thank God each night that I did not match at my first choice in Manhattan. Looking back, it was a terrible, terrible decision to rank a Manhattan program as #1. It seems like people get so caught up in the name.

It is possible but certainly more financially and logistically challenging than just about anywhere else in the country. To mitigate this challenge most of the NYC residency programs offer some kind of subsidized housing although not everyone gets it and it isn't always a ton cheaper, but anything is better than nothing right?

It isn't impossible to get a 1BR for a "reasonable" price (<2,000/month) by any means, but you might not be in the exact neighborhood you want, or have all the conveniences (elevator, laundry, etc).

The one thing that might be a little bit of a pain is actually getting the apartment. Brokers are annoying and often times you have to pay random fees that don't seem necessary. Plus you may need a guarantor if your residency salary is not sufficient to prove you are able to pay the rent. Not everyone is willing to take a guarantor, but people make it work.

However, if you are really interested in going to NYC, if there is one thing New Yorkers LOVE to talk about it is their apartment and how they got it and all that. So talk to the residents in the programs you interview at and find out their situation.

The residency programs at my big deal Manhattan medical school do not offer any subsidized housing to residents. If the others do, I am not aware of it, but I frankly haven't even bothered to check - I don't want to stay in NYC after the 4 years of med school even with subsidized housing.

A 1BR apartment for less than $2,000 in NYC? Maybe a crackerbox studio, but not a 1BR in an acceptable location. And if you do find one, such a low priced apt is probably near street level on a loud street, or located above a commercial property, like a bar or restaurant - noise and noxious fumes will be your constant companions.

Average rent for a 1BR in NYC a year ago was over $2700, and it has gotten worse since this article was written: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/realestate/manhattan-the-city-of-sky-high-rent.html?pagewanted=all

The residency programs at my big deal Manhattan medical school do not offer any subsidized housing to residents. If the others do, I am not aware of it, but I frankly haven't even bothered to check - I don't want to stay in NYC after the 4 years of med school even with subsidized housing.

A 1BR apartment for less than $2,000 in NYC? Maybe a crackerbox studio, but not a 1BR in an acceptable location. And if you do find one, such a low priced apt is probably near street level on a loud street, or located above a commercial property, like a bar or restaurant - noise and noxious fumes will be your constant companions.

Average rent for a 1BR in NYC a year ago was over $2700, and it has gotten worse since this article was written: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/realestate/manhattan-the-city-of-sky-high-rent.html?pagewanted=all

I am very sorry that you can't get any subsidized housing. Keep lurking, i think a 1BR would be better than finding something on Craigslist.

You've made it clear you don't want to stay in NYC. Good for you knowing what you want. Surprisingly some people (nay, many people) do want to come to NYC for various reasons, despite the challenges. The reason I said "most" is because it's true- not all programs provide subsidized housing.

You've made it clear you don't want to stay in NYC. However, "reasonable" places exist, but as I mentioned, they may not have everything you want- location, amenities, etc- but it is possible to find a decent place in Harlem or Washington Heights, for example, that are lower than the average cost you cited.

To wrap up: Nobody is under the illusion that living in the city is cheap, but some are willing to make that financial sacrifice for a variety of reasons including but not limited to the quality and type of training at programs and the allure of living in the city. I would encourage anyone who is interested in training in the city at all to check it out and get the real facts from residents in the programs you interview at because you may find it doable, maybe not. If you have no desire to live in NYC then good for you, fortunately there are plenty of other places to train!

Manhattan? Short answer: No. Renting an apartment in NYC is nightmarish - there are income requirements that will severely limit you, even if you are willing to come out of savings for the privilege of living in NYC. Vacancy rates are down around 1 percent - if you can't, or don't want to play the game, they don't give a flip about you.

People move to Brooklyn, etc., for cheaper rents (cheaper is a relative term). Commuting to a gig on Manhattan via buses and trains is freaking miserable - I did the reverse commute for rotations in Brooklyn, and it is awful day after day.

Now if your residency is on an outer borough, it becomes more feasible with less wear and tear on the soul. But chances are it will not be the NYC of your dreams...

Final point: many of the people in my NYC med school class are from wealthy families (I am not). And many of the residents are also from money. So when you scratch your head and wonder how so-and-so lives on the UES, think big bank.

I don't even plan to interview for NYC residencies. I don't have the coin to live there.

there are so many small things about living in nyc(apart from the big things like impossibility of affordable housing) that are incredibly annoying. Like if you go to a restaurant oftentimes they give you like 8 ounces of coke and then make you pay for refills. Nowhere else in the country is this the norm. Living in new york just nickel and dimes you to death on this sort of stuff....

And honestly, it's not even that great. and it's too cold.

there are so many small things about living in nyc(apart from the big things like impossibility of affordable housing) that are incredibly annoying. Like if you go to a restaurant oftentimes they give you like 8 ounces of coke and then make you pay for refills. Nowhere else in the country is this the norm. Living in new york just nickel and dimes you to death on this sort of stuff....

And honestly, it's not even that great. and it's too cold.

If all the nouveau riche moved out, then small businesses would not get crowded out by G** ass pinkberries, faux vintage restaurants, and banks. Gentrification has ruined new york. And its ruining Brooklyn. Bronx is probably the last bastion of Real new york.

If all the nouveau riche moved out, then small businesses would not get crowded out by G** ass pinkberries, faux vintage restaurants, and banks. Gentrification has ruined new york. And its ruining Brooklyn. Bronx is probably the last bastion of Real new york.
Hey doc penguin, tell us about the "G** ass pinkberries" you claim you see crowding out New York. You do understand this is a psychiatry forum.

Hey doc penguin, tell us about the "G** ass pinkberries" you claim you see crowding out New York. You do understand this is a psychiatry forum.

i feel very bad by that stupid remark i just made. I am just angry of the rampant building up of New York City. I've lived here my whole entire life. Never before seeing so many places die off to chains or soulless establishments. Granted, its safer now and the parks are much nicer, but the feeling of new york has changed to the point where i am living in a midwestern amusement park. With all the beautiful Pre War Buildings turned into Condos, and the end of shops like Bleeker Bobs, Lenox Lounge, Atlas Barber, and Magnaros being crowded out into UPS, Banks and Whole Foods. Increasingly, the new york of EB White and Jane Jacobs has become something which discomforts most people. Then again, i recognize the positives. The parks are cleaner and nicer, the streets feel safer and the Universities have a bigger hand in their communities. All and all it is a mixed bag. I did not mean to offend anybody, i just wanted to give an opinion.

TO OP
Try and find a cheap apartment near the school. I think it would be best to live in the island of Manhattan, preferably on the same side. The subway system is very good and cheap (ish). New York is a beautiful city, make the most of your time here.

I've interviewed at one program in Manhattan (St. Luke's-Roosevelt), and they do provide subsidized housing for all residents. They also mentioned that some of the other programs have that too, but I don't know about the details.

At least 3 of the top 4 programs in Manhattan will guarantee housing. And the 4th still provides it to most who want it, but won't guarantee it. I don't know where this idea that you can't get subsidized housing most of the time is coming from.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone for these comments. I am from the midwest were I am used to getting more for less, but I am looking forward to maximizing my studio space and excited for all the splendors NYC has to offer.

Thanks everyone for these comments. I am from the midwest were I am used to getting more for less, but I am looking forward to maximizing my studio space and excited for all the splendors NYC has to offer.

If you just want to go to NYC, you don't have to go to Manhattan. There are some good programs in other parts of NYC and in Westchester.

oh gosh enough with the pc police.

oh gosh enough with the pc police.
Vistiril look at the rules for this forum. You don't need tp be psychoanalyst to know what the slur "G** ass pinkberries" refers to. As psychiatrists in training or in practice, we know that words matter, such as using ad hominem cheap shots to refer to someone as "pc police" or "G** pickberries."

Vistiril look at the rules for this forum. You don't need tp be psychoanalyst to know what the slur "G** ass pinkberries" refers to. As psychiatrists in training or in practice, we know that words matter, such as using ad hominem cheap shots to refer to someone as "pc police" or "G** pickberries."

http://www.pinkberry.com/

Am I missing something?

By the way, 16 Handles is crowding out the Pinkberry's, which crowded out the Tasti-Delite, which crowded out the Ben and Jerry's, which crowded out the Haagan-Daz. If you require stability in your frozen desserts, NYC is not the place for you. There are a couple of artisanal ice cream/gelato places in the outer borough and the Village if you're the edgy type.

Complaining about NYC is one of the favorite pastimes of New Yorker's, and if there's nothing to complain about, they reminisce about the days of yore when there was a lot to complain about, when you were routinely abused at independent stores and mugged immediately once you got outside. I think its an amazing place to study psychiatry, an amazing place to live. You don't have to be here to get a good education, but I wouldn't cross it off the list without giving it a look.

Oh, and the OP, its been mentioned that all the major Manhattan programs offer subsidized housing, although NYU doesn't guarantee it (preference is given to people who are moving from farthest away). You can find cheaper housing by cutting corners, living in 6-floor walk-ups (there are cheap rents even on the Upper East Side), subletting rent-stabilized places (although this is often illegal), or finding your soulmate and splitting a 1-bedroom. There are nice studios as well, that are comfortable and sufficient given how much time you'll be spending in the hospital.

Oh, and the OP, its been mentioned that all the major Manhattan programs offer subsidized housing, although NYU doesn't guarantee it (preference is given to people who are moving from farthest away). You can find cheaper housing by cutting corners, living in 6-floor walk-ups (there are cheap rents even on the Upper East Side), subletting rent-stabilized places (although this is often illegal), or finding your soulmate and splitting a 1-bedroom. There are nice studios as well, that are comfortable and sufficient given how much time you'll be spending in the hospital.

Or live in Brooklyn/Queens. If you're near the subway, it's not a bad commute.

Personally, I'm very much on the fence about whether I'd like to live in NYC. I really liked SLR, and I loved the Columbia campus... and I really like hyper-urban places. But I'm not sure if it's worth all of the compromises.

I did not mean to be offensive, i said i was sorry.

As a psychiatrist in training, you should also know that your ideas of what people should say or think aren't gospel.

my residency program in Manhattan offers subsidized housing. It's $1350 a month for a studio. I think the 1BRs get up to 1700-2200$ which is a steal given the neighborhood. I've been able to start making loan payments ($500/month) and I still have money left over for spending sprees at uniqlo and seamless binge nights.

we do have people who live in brooklyn, jersey, queens, Upper West too. They are paying much less/have roommates/etc. but I came to New York to be in New York. And the 8 block walk in the morning is nice.

Expecting reasonable manners isn't particularly more relevant to psychiatric training than it is for anything else.

Some people communicate using the device of humor. You do, for example. Calling Pinkberry ***gy is kinda humorous. Comedians do it all the time. Would I say that to a patient? No. But doctors aren't nuns.

Calling Pinkberry ***gy is kinda humorous.
If Louis CK said it, yes, it might be funny. But, for example, I couldn't make that funny. I can't think of any current SNL cast members that could make that funny, except maybe Jay Pharaoh? Zach Galifianakis could make it work. Imagine Aziz Ansari? Would be a disaster.

The problem with being funny is that sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. When it works, sure, some social mores can be relaxed. I have no disagreement there. It just wasn't funny here!

Like, a week or two ago, I made fun of someone who said a woman should stay home and take care of her children instead of pursuing her residency. I sarcastically warned that, yes, she should stay home, lest her child turn out to be a democrat, a homosexual, or a vegetarian. Vistaril replied that it wouldn't be so bad to have a kid who was a democrat or a vegetarian. That was totally out of line, but it was also pretty funny, and he knew it was out of line, so it worked. At least, it did for me.

And I'd be really happy having a gay kid! No teenage pregnancies to worry about! And I could show off how progressive I was to all my snotty liberal friends.

I just killed the joke by analyzing it, of course.

So, yes, you can say inappropriate things if they're actually funny, but we have to have a much higher standard for humor than just any homosexual slur being directed at a frozen yogurt shop. That's way too easy to be funny.

The more inappropriate something is, the funnier it has to be to work. And there has to be a bit of, daresay, irony. Doc Penguin didn't even think it was funny, and he apologized appropriately.

If Louis CK said it, yes, it might be funny. But, for example, I couldn't make that funny. I can't think of any current SNL cast members that could make that funny, except maybe Jay Pharaoh? Zach Galifianakis could make it work. Imagine Aziz Ansari? Would be a disaster.

The problem with being funny is that sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. When it works, sure, some social mores can be relaxed. I have no disagreement there. It just wasn't funny here!

Like, a week or two ago, I made fun of someone who said a woman should stay home and take care of her children instead of pursuing her residency. I sarcastically warned that, yes, she should stay home, lest her child turn out to be a democrat, a homosexual, or a vegetarian. Vistaril replied that it wouldn't be so bad to have a kid who was a democrat or a vegetarian. That was totally out of line, but it was also pretty funny, and he knew it was out of line, so it worked. At least, it did for me.

And I'd be really happy having a gay kid! No teenage pregnancies to worry about! And I could show off how progressive I was to all my snotty liberal friends.

I just killed the joke by analyzing it, of course.

So, yes, you can say inappropriate things if they're actually funny, but we have to have a much higher standard for humor than just any homosexual slur being directed at a frozen yogurt shop. That's way too easy to be funny.

The more inappropriate something is, the funnier it has to be to work. And there has to be a bit of, daresay, irony. Doc Penguin didn't even think it was funny, and he apologized appropriately.

I hear you, but I also get so annoyed with the reflexive offense everyone takes to any term associated with gay. More than anything, they are manners of speech, and I've yet to meet an actual gay person that get's all hurt over it. Instead, it's a bunch of straight people that want to show how enlightened they are springing to the defense of any perceived slight.

Gay people call each other ******s ALL THE TIME.

I hear you, but I also get so annoyed with the reflexive offense everyone takes to any term associated with gay. More than anything, they are manners of speech, and I've yet to meet an actual gay person that get's all hurt over it. Instead, it's a bunch of straight people that want to show how enlightened they are springing to the defense of any perceived slight.

I'm gay, have plenty of gay friends and acquaintances... never hear the word. I don't take offense to it but it's annoying and usually just a cheap shot.

I'm gay, have plenty of gay friends and acquaintances... never hear the word. I don't take offense to it but it's annoying and usually just a cheap shot.

Unless you're hanging out with bigots, most people aren't using the term as derogatory towards gays. There's using it as a figure of speech. Kinda like saying "that's gay".

Unless you're hanging out with bigots, most people aren't using the term as derogatory towards gays. There's using it as a figure of speech. Kinda like saying "that's gay".

Don't mean to derail this thread...

But I actually find "that's gay" to be offensive in a way that fa***t is not. Even if it's intended as an innocent figure of speech its association and derivation/origin is clear. Maybe it's just where I live, and the company I keep, but I don't even hear the phrase anymore. When I do hear it from peers I find it jarring and think it says more about them than they'd probably like to reveal.

Just because a group that faces some serious pockets of discrimination and hatred reappropriates a hateful word doesn't make it okay for folks outside of the group to use the word when the whole point was to neutralize some of the hurtfulness inflicted by members outside the group.

I have some gay friends who have had some pretty heinous, wind-up-in-the-hospital sorts of things happen to them while people shouted slurs like that at them. That's not necessarily every gay person's experience, but it's not that unusual an experience either.

A word is just a word, but it matters when it can be that hurtful.

Don't think of it as being politically correct. Think of it as just being nice to people that have probably been treated crappy by other people.

Just because a group that faces some serious pockets of discrimination and hatred reappropriates a hateful word doesn't make it okay for folks outside of the group to use the word when the whole point was to neutralize some of the hurtfulness inflicted by members outside the group.

I have some gay friends who have had some pretty heinous, wind-up-in-the-hospital sorts of things happen to them while people shouted slurs like that at them. That's not necessarily every gay person's experience, but it's not that unusual an experience either.

A word is just a word, but it matters when it can be that hurtful.

Don't think of it as being politically correct. Think of it as just being nice to people that have probably been treated crappy by other people.

I completely agree that calling a gay person a ***ggggggot to their face is pretty messed up. But that's not what I'm referring to. But if my friend walks out in a seer sucker suit and asks how it looks, if I say "gay", can we agree I'm just talking, and not trying to start a new holocaust.

How bout the term breeders to refer to those suburbanites that are overly concerned with procreation and family values and safety and crap. Like....they're so breedy. No...junior is not special rubbing his poopy little fingers over my groceries. Breeders!

I suppose it pertains to how many times I would've gotten my ass kicked for preferring vagina.

I mean, as a white heterosexual dude...how can you hurt my feelings.

But kindasorta is at least right about those that are professionally offended as some kind of liberal exegesis on morality. What's the hatey hot button word for those f'ers. Cause I want to say it. A lot.

It is worth clarifying here, as one of the previous posters tried to do, that Pinkberry is an ice cream store in New York City. It is not an epithet for gay persons. That said, using the adjective "gay ass" to describe anything could reasonably be construed as offensive, since it uses "gay" in a negative way. It's also something you might say in middle school, if your middle school was in Alabama or Texas.

It is worth clarifying here, as one of the previous posters tried to do, that Pinkberry is an ice cream store in New York City. It is not an epithet for gay persons. That said, using the adjective "gay ass" to describe anything could reasonably be construed as offensive, since it uses "gay" in a negative way. It's also something you might say in middle school, if your middle school was in Alabama or Texas.

I guess it's okay when being offensive is directed towards Alabamans or Texans.

I guess it's okay when being offensive is directed towards Alabamans or Texans.

I'm not sure pointing out that there is a high percentage of folks with very homophobic attitudes in the American South is offensive. I still here a lot of gay slurs when I go home even now among people that should totally know better.

Two Christmases ago, standing in line at the Redbox in front of the Walmart, some dude started screaming at some gay guy standing in the line about how he was a sinner, called him a few choice names, told him he'd be better off dead, threatened him, etc. It got heated, and the gay guy wound up in tears shaking. My wife and I hung out with him for a few minutes until he calmed down. How the crazy dude knew the other guy was gay wasn't clear to me, but it was aggressive, hateful, and pretty scary, and me and my wife hadn't been standing there, I'm not sure it wouldn't have wound up pretty violent. This was just in broad day light on a Saturday afternoon.

And I think there are enough guns in Alabama and Texas that if a Northeastern liberal makes a little joke at their expense, they can defend themselves just fine.

I'm not sure pointing out that there is a high percentage of folks with very homophobic attitudes in the American South is offensive. I still here a lot of gay slurs when I go home even now among people that should totally know better.

Two Christmases ago, standing in line at the Redbox in front of the Walmart, some dude started screaming at some gay guy standing in the line about how he was a sinner, called him a few choice names, told him he'd be better off dead, threatened him, etc. It got heated, and the gay guy wound up in tears shaking. My wife and I hung out with him for a few minutes until he calmed down. How the crazy dude knew the other guy was gay wasn't clear to me, but it was aggressive, hateful, and pretty scary, and me and my wife hadn't been standing there, I'm not sure it wouldn't have wound up pretty violent. This was just in broad day light on a Saturday afternoon.

And I think there are enough guns in Alabama and Texas that if a Northeastern liberal makes a little joke at their expense, they can defend themselves just fine.

Hate and rhetorical devices are not synonymous. I just find it ironic when someone picks and chooses which stereotypes are permitted.

let's all stay on topic, please.....

I think this is precisely the topic. NYC is a much more tolerant place than most in the US towards LGBT. I think it is true - not a stereotype - that Texas and Alabama are not very tolerant. This may be why some people are willing to pay high rents and tolerate Pinkberry etc. to live in NYC, and why some are more comfortable living in Texas or Alabama.

I think this is precisely the topic. NYC is a much more tolerant place than most in the US towards LGBT. I think it is true - not a stereotype - that Texas and Alabama are not very tolerant. This may be why some people are willing to pay high rents and tolerate Pinkberry etc. to live in NYC, and why some are more comfortable living in Texas or Alabama.

Solid point. In fact, I use the openness and viability of the LGBT community as a metric for tolerance of my own interracial marriage. Generally, the less they care about them they less they care about us. Many people don't appreciate that random peoples' pointed interest in your personal life has a large impact on how safe you feel on a daily basis. Unless you'd walked hand in hand with your opposite colored spouse in eastern DC like I have you might imagine that such problems don't exist on the other side of town.

It's also one of the reasons why, despite the rats, roaches, high rents, crime, crowds, etc, that I am actively researching programs to apply to in NYC.

Cities are not ubiquitous bastions of tolerance. They can be hot zones of exaggerated racial, sexual orientation, and economic conflict and tension. Which is also why I'm looking for groovy smaller towns in other parts of the country.

It's the large dominion that the certainty of religion has in the south that probably makes it difficult for gays. Another reason to use them as a metric.

http://www.pinkberry.com/

Am I missing something?

By the way, 16 Handles is crowding out the Pinkberry's, which crowded out the Tasti-Delite, which crowded out the Ben and Jerry's, which crowded out the Haagan-Daz. If you require stability in your frozen desserts, NYC is not the place for you. There are a couple of artisanal ice cream/gelato places in the outer borough and the Village if you're the edgy type.

Hilarious!!

I just want to offer some quick input, as I've been living in NYC for over 20 years. I understand many people want to live close to their hospitals during the first year of residency, but that can be super expensive if your hospital is in the city (though housing around Columbia can be much cheaper than housing near Mt. Sinai). Another option might be for you all to look into living in Queens, especially the Long Island City, Sunnyside, Woodside areas, which are safe, diverse, about 15 min into the city by subway and relatively cheap for NY. A 1 bedroom will run you about $1500 a month, compared to $2000 in the city. I'd say forget about Brooklyn, which is considered "cool" nowadays, and real estate costs there has gone way up in the areas close to the city. Queens if your best bet if you dont mind commuting and want your cost of living to be relatively low.

Hilarious!!

I just want to offer some quick input, as I've been living in NYC for over 20 years. I understand many people want to live close to their hospitals during the first year of residency, but that can be super expensive if your hospital is in the city (though housing around Columbia can be much cheaper than housing near Mt. Sinai). Another option might be for you all to look into living in Queens, especially the Long Island City, Sunnyside, Woodside areas, which are safe, diverse, about 15 min into the city by subway and relatively cheap for NY. A 1 bedroom will run you about $1500 a month, compared to $2000 in the city. I'd say forget about Brooklyn, which is considered "cool" nowadays, and real estate costs there has gone way up in the areas close to the city. Queens if your best bet if you dont mind commuting and want your cost of living to be relatively low.

Yeah, It sucks to live in NYC some days, Other days it feels like your on top of the world. I never known anything about Queens. I always thought Bronx was the diverse neighborhood. Especially when it used to be considered a suburb. IMSO, I think getting a roommate or 2 would be a great for cutting costs
http://www.movingdocs.com/register.cfm i just found this.