Living in Windsor, and doing Residency/Fellowship in Michigan?

Started by sunny123
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sunny123

BOSCO!!!!
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wondering if it would be possible to fulfill the requirements of the J1 (returning to your home country for 2 years), while living in Windsor, and commuting everyday for a fellowship in the Detroit area.

I know Canadians have done this to attend med school at Wayne State. But can this be done for fellowships??
 
If you are a Canadian citizen do you have to get a J1 or H1B to do residency in the US? Isn't there some other option like TN-1 or something. I always thought the NAFTA trade agreement allowed Canadians to work in the US with less hassle?
 
TN can only be used for physicians performing research or in a teaching position. I know, because I was on one before starting residency. You need to get either a J1 or H1b.