Living near Wilford Hall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kedhegard

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm likely going to be assigned to Wilford Hall after finishing fellowship. I'm looking at places to live, and was thinking about buying a little property on Lake Medina or the Medina River. I know it's 30+ miles away, but I used to live in San Antonio and got pretty sick of the cookie cutter subdivisions, though it didn't seem to phase many others.

Anybody else live in the Lakehills/Mico or Castroville areas? Does anybody live anywhere besides Stone Oak or the Sea World area?

Members don't see this ad.

I did residency at BAMC. I lived in Alamo Heights. No cookie cutter homes. Feels like a real community. Wholefoods, Central market, good public schools. Everything else in SA is just drab. Forget about living near WH, it's kind of ghetto. Sure, you can get a big house in Stone Oak or somewhere on the loop (1604) but it's soulless and traffic congested.

Just my opinion. Good luck.

I'm not sure what you're doing fellowship in, but Big Willie is gonna be a clinic--they're closing the hospital. Are you sure you're not going to be at BAMC? Living at Lake Medina would be a terrible commute to BAMC I imagine...have you considered a lake on the east side of town?

Dermatology fellowship, so I'll definitely be at Wilford Hall.

I lived in NE San Antonio several years ago during internship, and couldn't stand the endless subdivisions. That ain't Texas!

So I thought I'd find a place out near the hill country and "suffer" the commute during the work week so I can have a decent place to relax on the weekends.