Living with Classmates

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blysssful

SUNY c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as the class of '13 starts to freak out about housing and roommates and such, I just thought I'd ask those in school already how they feel about living with people from your class. Considering you spend so much time together during the day, wouldn't it be a bit much to live with your classmates too? What about living with upperclassmen? People from other schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak for myself since my "roommate" was my husband. However, I didn't observe any significant drama among my classmates who lived together.

Some people lived together first year after roommate matching things. Some of those people stayed roommates all four years, some found different roommates, some went on to live alone. Some people do better living alone, but if you are fine with roommates, living with classmates might not be such a big deal.

If you decide to live with students from another school or another discipline, make sure they have the same kind of work load as you. If they're not as busy, that could introduce a whole host of problems.

So as the class of '13 starts to freak out about housing and roommates and such, I just thought I'd ask those in school already how they feel about living with people from your class. Considering you spend so much time together during the day, wouldn't it be a bit much to live with your classmates too? What about living with upperclassmen? People from other schools?

The two men I lived with during optometry school were both in my class and they remain two of my best friends to this day. The great times we had were too numerous to count.

Also, living with people who are in your program works on so many levels. They understand exactly what it is you're going through. They are going to have very similar schedules to you. YOu can help each other out with the coursework.

All in all, I think the pluses FAR outweigh the minuses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! It was what I was planning on, but I just wanted to get a feel for how others felt about it.

usually the people in my class that live together don't usually hang out together, but maybe it's because we have wayyyy more girls in our program, guys usually have less drama :cool: