LLU secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlnjd117

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I was originally told to not even submit a primary for Loma Linda because they're very religion specific (SDA) when *accepting* however I did anyway because I applied to all my in state schools. My stats aren't amazing (3.0 sGPA, 3.1 oGPA 21AA, 22RC, 20TS) but I received a supplementary I think last week. I've been holding off in it cause it's $150 and hella long. I am religious I could get the letter & answer everything honestly, but my mentor whom wrote a really strong LOR for me, advised strongly against submitting the secondary, just like he said about the primary.. I'm torn cause I didn't apply to too many schools (11, already denied from MWU-AZ cause of my 2.97 BCP) so I'm not sure what to do.. It's due August 24th & I just don't want to waste money/time & stress about it if it's a long shot.
Thoughts? Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a reapplicant and I have similar stats. From my experience, I would save that $150 and just submit to another school with that money. LLU is super competitive and they even say on their website that to be competitive, they recommend a 3.5 or higher.
If you really want to get into a California school, I think you have a decent shot at western and USC, and possibly UoP.

I still think you should apply to a few more backup school. If you want, PM me and I can give you advice on which schools to add and how to improve your chances with some of the California schools.

I had better stats and got rejected already. Save the cash.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you like LLU and think you might want to go there, then you should apply. What's the worst that could happen? You're out $150 and a few hours.

If you are not SDA DO NOT APPLY there. No offense to the school, I'm sure it's wonderful to be a part of it, but if you are not SDA your chances of acceptance are extremely low. Again, it is a great school with amazingly friendly people!

If you are not SDA DO NOT APPLY there. No offense to the school, I'm sure it's wonderful to be a part of it, but if you are not SDA your chances of acceptance are extremely low. Again, it is a great school with amazingly friendly people!
What is SDA?

The chances are about the same as being accepted to a state school as an out-of-state applicant.

I say, if you want to go to a certain school, apply there. If LLU is a school you're kinda maybe about and you're not SDA or religious in any way, then it's not worth applying to.

I have a 3.4 ogpa and 3.3 sgpa and I come from a Christian background, and was rejected a day after I submitted the supplemental. Really seemed like a waste of 150 dollars tbh...but you never know until you try! But I wouldn't do it if I were you

I have a 3.4 ogpa and 3.3 sgpa and I come from a Christian background, and was rejected a day after I submitted the supplemental. Really seemed like a waste of 150 dollars tbh...but you never know until you try! But I wouldn't do it if I were you

Do you mind sharing your DAT scores?

I did a two year internship at an SDA hospital.. Idk if this enhances my app .. I just noticed this
I know that you have been getting mixed responses, but I think you should finish the secondary application for Loma Linda only if you really do have a passion to pursue dentistry at this university. My uncle went to Loma Linda's dental school and he listed himself as just a practicing christian. Obviously this was about 20 years ago so things may have changed a bit, but I think everyone's application is different. GPA and DAT scores aren't everything, and neither is your religion/religious experience. They look at your application in a holistic manner (although many students tend to believe that they don't). I have also had a few friends that are dental students who told me they got an interview at Loma Linda, and they put down that they were hindu, not religious, and/or just christian. Almost all of them got accepted to the school, but for the record they didn't end up accepting the invitation since they had already gotten into the other schools of their choice. I hope this helps!

I have such mixed responses & ive been waiting so long! It's due the 24th so if I can get my letter by then I'll try, I see they're already giving interview invites. Thanks everyone :)

I have such mixed responses & ive been waiting so long! It's due the 24th so if I can get my letter by then I'll try, I see they're already giving interview invites. Thanks everyone :)
I'm telling you right now, if you are not SDA, it's going to be tough to get in.

Check the stats from the class of 2017 class profile (http://dentistry.llu.edu/sites/dentistry.llu.edu/files/docs/ddsprofile2017.pdf): a total of 1966 applicants (186 were SDA). So 66 out of the 93 accepted were SDA (71% accepted are SDA). So that leaves 27 spots for non SDA students = 10 catholic, 6 christian, 2 Sikh and the 9 others. Out of the 1780 Non SDA applicants 27 got in. That is a 1.5% chance for anyone NON SDA to get into LLU, and you are applying as a christian, which would give you a 0.33% chance to be accepted.

as a non-SDA grad from LLU, I say it is worth it if you really think you are the kind of person they are looking for.