MA/MS LMFT in NY w/ MA @ Pacifica?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leirauh

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would so appreciate someone's help with these questions I have.
I want to start my journey towards becoming a therapist. I have a bachelor's degree in Math and Stats (from several years ago) and I am a writer-poet, but I have always held a deep interest in psychology, have been in therapy with a Jungian therapist for over 6 years, and since beginning this I have been reading Jung's Collected Works on my own, along with Marion Woodman, Marie Louise von Franz, Joseph Campbell, and I know now that I want to pursue this field of study with the aim of becoming a therapist. I intend to build a private practice.

So far I know I need a masters degree in order to become licensed and for that I have narrowed my search down to Pacifica which, I have heard from several people who have attended and those who have taught there, is one of the best for depth psychology and offers what I am looking for. I am considering their M.A. in Counseling Psychology, mainly because I realize that it offers a path to becoming licensed in CA. (My main interest lies in their Depth Psychology with specialization in Jungian and Archetypal Studies and also in the Engaged Humanties.) However, I live in NY, and NY does not accept CA licensing.
So I am wondering...if I were to go with this Pacifica program anyway, would that hinder me when it comes time to get licensed in NY? I don't know how to compare the requirements. The NY licensing website says that either the degree has to be COAMFTE-accredited or they will consider equivalent degrees. They have given a breakdown of requirements but I really don't know if this would be considered equivalent or how to tell if it would. Does anyone have any experience in this area? If you have advice to offer, please do go ahead. If my question isn't clear, please let me know.

Thanks so much for reading and for any help you offer.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't look up the details of the Pacifica program, but if the program has all of the courses and practicum requirements that NYS requires then you should be off to a good start.
Since you are in NY already, have you considered getting a masters in counseling or social work at a CUNY school and then using all the money you saved by not going to a private college (with a not particularly renowned reputation) and enrolling in one of NY's many psychoanalytic institutes during/after your masters program?