LMU Clinical Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pcough2011

SGU DVM/MSc student
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question for any LMU CVM students or grads - I am currently at SGU and interested in doing my clinical year at LMU since I want to specialize and there is so much opportunity for externships and electives in the clinical year program. I was just wondering, what do most people do for housing throughout the year since there is so much moving around to different campuses and rotation sites? I have a dog and, while I was planning on a bit of travel for a few externships, I'm not sure how it would work potentially moving to a different state each month for a new rotation.

Members don't see this ad.

Do they even take island students since they don't actually have a hospital? That doesn't make much sense to me really.
They do. It seems like they have a few rotations done at their campus and everything else is off-site and mostly organized by the individual students. Their program is certainly not traditional, but actually fits my goals pretty well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to hear more thoughts on this as a prevet student accepted to lmu if anyone has things to say pos or neg abt lmu clinical year. ty

I'm a 4th year at LMU-CVM. For housing it's a lot of AirBNB, staying with relatives, or staying with other students. We have 'hubs' where you can do a lot of rotations in one area, which is very helpful. I managed to get several rotations near where my SO lives, so I am just living with them for several months at a time. For some of the others I've stayed with other student's families, split housing with other students, or only picked locations where I knew I had housing. I didn't list any locations in, say, California since I don't know anyone out that way :).

The clinical year has great pros and cons. I've really enjoyed it so far, and it has more than made up for the fact that LMU doesn't have a teaching hospital.

Do they even take island students since they don't actually have a hospital? That doesn't make much sense to me really.
The island students can use LMU's model - they have access to all of the same rotations that the LMU students do, and LMU just provides the structure and the connections. We do have one rotation at the actual school - the large animal ambulatory rotation which is required for LMU students to take unless they are large animal focused students (it gets complicated), but the rest of our rotations are at actual clinics that have applied to be affiliates.