SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

LMU-DCOM: Any Questions?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by lrobin15, May 5, 2007.

1. lrobin15

lrobin15 OMSI 2+ Year Member

Feb 17, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    I thought I would start a thread for those applying in the new application cycle. You can ask questions about LMU-DCOM, and we will try our best to answer your questions about the school and the area. ;) :cool:

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. DoctorMom78

DoctorMom78 Sky Glory 2+ Year Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: Ummm....yea, any questions, post here. :D ;)

4. lrobin15

Feb 17, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
  5. gobluegirl

gobluegirl 10+ Year Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Hi, I'm thinking about applying to LMU-DCOM. It sounds like it will be a great school. Congrats on your acceptances!

Do you know if DCOM prefers in-state residents, or do they equally consider out-of-state residents as well? I've been to their website, but I couldn't find any information on that.

Thanks! :D

6. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    Here is info from their site:

LMU-DCOM seeks to attract and train future medical practitioners to serve the needs of the southern Appalachian region. Additionally, we hope to address the looming national crisis in health care, created by a rapidly-expanding population, by adding highly-qualified physicians to underserved communities. We seek to achieve these goals by recruiting bright, hard-working applicants whose goal is to advance the science and art of medicine in these locations. It is our firm conviction that our graduates will be lifelong learners who will become leaders in their fields of endeavor and within their communities.

We believe that prospective students who have an interest in becoming physicians are mature individuals that are inquisitive, highly motivated, compassionate and eager to serve humanity. With this in mind, we believe that the application process is a meeting amongst professionals with the ultimate goal being mutual acceptance for mutual advantage. That is, we seek to learn about one another to determine if our goals are similar.

They did try to get as many people from the area as possible, but I know that they took students from all over. I am from NY, but I have a connection to the area and plan on going into primary care medicine and staying down there. So, you should apply if you are interested in the school. I know it is going to be a great place. Good luck!:luck:

7. dr.kicia

dr.kicia Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 11, 2003
    where the heart is***
    i know at least 4 people who are not from Appalachia region but were accepted to DCOM:D

8. DiverDoc

DiverDoc KCUMB 2012 10+ Year Member

How many apps in total did they get last year? How many interviews granted?

9. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    Yea, there are a bunch. But, they are supposed to have a preference for people from Appalachia. Pete DeBusk gave all the money to LMU to start an osteopathic school for the purpose of putting physicians into the underserved areas of Appalachia. They took people from everywhere this year, but they did also take a lot of people from the area. More info from their site:

“While the inaugural class will be composed of students from all over the United States, our focus and priority, based on the mission of Lincoln Memorial University, is to serve deserving students from the Appalachian region. It is our belief that students from Appalachia, educated and trained in Appalachia, will graduate and serve the people of Appalachia,” LMU President Nancy B. Moody said. “Even for those of us who have been intimately involved in development of the college of medicine, it is difficult to conceive of the full economic, educational, and health care impact that this medical school will have on this region or on the state of Tennessee.”

I think anyone who is interested in the school should apply. They are definitely taking people from areas other than Appalachia. It is going to be a fabulous school. :love: :D

10. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    I think that they got about 2500 applications and interviewed 500 people. There are 150 spots in the class and I think there were about that many people waitlisted.

11. Porco Rosso

Porco Rosso 2+ Year Member

Apr 14, 2007
    TX Longhorns
    you guys havent attended the school yet, so how can you answer about it? am i missing something..? plus it one of those brand new schools so who knows what's gonna happen...

12. Lamborghini1315

Lamborghini1315 Sleep deprived 7+ Year Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Oh yeaa, how about you answer my question? Who are you?!?

13. DragonWell

DragonWell Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Nov 20, 2004
    It must be getting lonely over in the class threads. :smuggrin:

14. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    :rolleyes: Umm...we aren't answering questions about how the classes or the professors are or something like that. We are answering questions with information based on our experiences from our interviews and communications with the school. A lot of the questions can be answered by information that is posted on their website. If you look there, you can find it yourself. :idea:

So, anymore questions?:D

15. lrobin15

Feb 17, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    Boooooorrrrinngggggg!!! Having the thread moved makes sdn boring! No one just drops by and lays out a smart remark. :idea: Wait, maybe it's Dr. I's absence!

16. jbayne04

jbayne04 Shake and bake! 5+ Year Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I have a LMU-DCOM question: I have read some schools use an alternate list as well as a waitlist, and that one list is used first. Is this true of DCOM? I get the idea it is NOT- that the alternate list is simply a list of those not admitted, but a list from which they can draw for admission after admitted students make their decisions. Is this correct?

Also, I hear the list is likely to move after Memorial Day (if at all).

Thoughts on this LIST? THANKS!

17. spicedmanna

spicedmanna Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Likely. :lol:

18. Doctor McDreamy

Doctor McDreamy 2+ Year Member

Jan 19, 2007
    HAHAHAHA.... Im gonna go to DCOM and I was thinking the same thing!!! But hey, let the women feel important! Just ask questions!!!:laugh: :laugh:

19. Pansit

Pansit 5+ Year Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Hey, I was looking through the DCOM website and I could not find the matchlist for 2007...is it some hidden link, did nobody in the class match?..omg...i read somewhere on SDN that the board pass rate was 0%...can this be true..omg..I also read somewhere that DCOM has never had a white coat ceremony, I called the sites for clinical rotations and none of them has ever had a DCOM student come through...i think everybody quits before the first day..omg:eek:

(I know the school is new so I am obviously kidding...:laugh:)

20. lrobin15

Feb 17, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    :lol:

21. lrobin15

Feb 17, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    Doctor McDreamy,

There are people who come a long and have a few qs about the appl process. :)

22. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    *SMACK!!!!* :smuggrin: :lol: :lol::lol: :p Shhh....;)

23. lrobin15

Feb 17, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    :laugh: Oh you have got to get the star trek pic ooooofffffff! Unless you want commander ricker lusting after you.:barf:

24. DragonWell

Nov 20, 2004
    I'm sure you guys will probably think I'm an a-hole for saying this (maybe you already do), but I feel I have to speak up.

You guys love your school, and are very excited to start. That's great, but the thing you should remember is that most of us feel that way about our schools. The "first post" position of the Pre-DO board is the first thing people see when they click on this board. This is a valuable position and for the past 6 months or more, it has been taken up almost exclusively by the LMU DCOM thread. While some questions were answered, much of the thread was taken up with personal business - this is fine, but it really has no place on the Pre-DO board.

The reason we have the class threads forum is so that one or two vocal schools don't monopolize the PreDO board. I know you guys are anything but malicious, but I think maybe you don't see that it is rather selfish and inconsiderate to refuse to move your class business to where it belongs. Other people have valid things to post, and they deserve to not have to compete with your class thread to do it.

Sorry if I bruised any feelings, but I felt that it needed to be said.

25. lrobin15

Feb 17, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    I see your point, and we will try to keep this thread for Qs...Okay? :D

26. DragonWell

Nov 20, 2004
    I guess I find that rather hard to swallow. Unless you mean questions about horses and pediatricians...:laugh:

Why not let people post the questions they have, and then try to answer them if you have something useful to contribute?

Imagine what the board would look like if students from every school started a thread just in case someone had questions. The PreDo board would just be a list of the DO schools.

If you goal is really to just answer questions about DCOM, I don't see why you need a committed thread just for that.

In any case, I said my piece and I appreciate you listening. It's not my job to decide what's on topic and what's not.

27. jbayne04

Jul 25, 2005

Bueller?

28. lrobin15

Feb 17, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    DCOMs list is just one list. I have also heard that it will likely move after Memorial Day and I think there will be pretty good movement because it is a new school. If you have a strong desire to attend, you should send a letter of intent to Mr. Carney or Dr. Leo.

29. lrobin15

Feb 17, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    Why is your picture from the side? Sorry, but it has been driving me crazy :laugh:

30. jbayne04

Jul 25, 2005

hahaha- well, my face is horribly disfigured on the other side.

That's a lie. It's the only one I could get to work- others were too big. Maybe I should find another?

Thanks for the info. I sent a letter to update and express my intent. I was reading another thread and there was much discussion on which list was better (alternate/wait) and my heart skipped a few beats. Thanks for the peace of mind; it's hard enough to wait on any list, much less TWO! Hope to meet y'all one day.

31. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    What do you mean by that?!?!:smuggrin: :laugh: ;) Got your point and it is valid. I will try to refrain from posting comments about horses on this thread and only post to answer legitmate questions in the future.:D

32. MJB

MJB Senior Member Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2005

Please tell me you're kidding. :laugh:

33. scdocusc

scdocusc 2+ Year Member

Nov 12, 2006
    I have a question for you guys!!! Does anyone know the average MCAT for people admitted yet? I've been looking at DCOM a lot lately and I really like it and it's direction. I know other schools dont stress MCAT as much (like VCOM) but I was wondering what DCOM's take on it was. Oh yea, and what is harrogate like? is it a small cow-town or a decent sized city?

-scdoc

34. MJB

Apr 12, 2005

No idea what the average MCAT is...

Harrogate is very small, rural, and beautiful...just across the KY state line is Middlesboro, which seems to be about 15K or so in population and has all the "necessities" of life.

It's all approximately an hour north of downtown Knoxville.

35. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    15K? HA! :laugh: Try this instead:

About Harrogate
    Harrogate became a city in 1993. With a population of 4424, it's the largest city in Claiborne County. Harrogate is home to Lincoln Memorial University. On the campus of LMU you will find the Lincoln Museum. The museum houses one of the largest Lincoln Collections in the World.

http://www.harrogate-tn.com/

It is BEAUTIFUL!!! The area is one of the prettiest places I have ever been. I love it. :love:

As for the average MCAT, I would imagine it is around 24. That is my best guess. They do put a lot of emphasis on the rest of the application. :)

36. MJB

Apr 12, 2005
    You will notice I was talking about Middlesboro...I would put it somewhere around 12-15K.

37. froggiepremed

froggiepremed not "Pre" any more 2+ Year Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Harrogate, TN
    MDApps:
    I believe this is the first "pimp" of the 2011 school year

38. Marthea007

Marthea007 Not so Lil Murph Dog 5+ Year Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Brownsburg, IN
    Exactly! Like the $1.50 movie theater.

For more statistical information about Middlesboro, click this: http://www.city-data.com/zips/40965.html

For Harrogate click this: http://www.city-data.com/zips/37752.html

39. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    :smuggrin: LOL! Sorry, I just skimmed the post and saw Harrogate. I only half pay attention around here. I was wondering what the heck you were talking about saying that there were that many people there.:eek: :laugh:

40. lrobin15

Feb 17, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    I was told by Paul, I think, the "majority" of those accepted fell between 24 and 28 -a few were higher and a few were lower.

41. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    :rolleyes: Me. (I have a 23.)

I read on their site somewhere that they anticipated that the average would be around a 24 or something like that. 24-28 is probably accurate. I think most DO schools are around there. :)

42. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    LOL! My fault for not paying attention.:smuggrin: :laugh:

43. gallagher22

gallagher22 2+ Year Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Hey,

Does ANYBODY know of places to live other than LMU-DCOM student housing? I am attending in the Fall and am looking for an apartment or house to rent (not buy) other than student housing. Does anyone know of a website or a name of a complex? I have tried looking up some, but it may come down to just going down there...

44. froggiepremed

froggiepremed not "Pre" any more 2+ Year Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Harrogate, TN
    MDApps:
    hey, welcome to the DCOM family.

Housing is a little harder to find than other schools, because it is a small town. Maybe some others who have had more success can post some numbers? I would say search the other DCOM pages for all of them, but DragonWell will be mad I took up the first spot with such dribble...

45. nascardoc

nascardoc Daddy to 2 kiddos 7+ Year Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Livonia, MI
    In terms of renting, the best thing you can do is search the local papers. I would suggest the Middlesboro, Tazewell, New Tazewell areas for the best rental places. In case you can't get a local paper, I would try using a realtor for some info. They may be able to give you some rental info. I think Docmom posted some info in the threads over on the osteopathic students forum. Try both the new one (Class of 2011 with about 6 pages) and the old one (Part 6, the last few pages).

I also believe that Docmom has some websites with rentals...Docmom, your magic please. :smuggrin:

46. gallagher22

gallagher22 2+ Year Member

Sep 28, 2006

Thanks, nascardoc.

I have looked at those newspaper websites. I was hoping someone else had come across a great apartment complex that I could look at too! Thanks for the info, and no need to repost the links, Docmom.

47. Tiagao

Tiagao Member 7+ Year Member

Sep 9, 2004
    My wife and I will be headed to TN the week of the 21st to find a rental home. I'll be sure to get any information that I find on here.

In the meantime, if anyone has some news about rentals, (thanks for posting to those who regularly check the middlesboro news) that would be wonderful.

48. nascardoc

nascardoc Daddy to 2 kiddos 7+ Year Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Livonia, MI
  49. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN