Loan burden for class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good stuff to get out there, but his numbers are wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
His numbers aren't "wrong" but he uses max COA, which for most schools is intentionally overkill (they must cast a wide net for a reasonable living for all students, including students with families with kids leasing absolutely everything).

I think his main point is that the tuition the schools post on their website should not be what you should expect to pay. He is absolutely correct here. Increase TUITION by about 25% (we did this down at the TMDSAS thread for the TX schools) over the 4 years and you can probably take down your living expenses quite a bit. Most cities, you can get a rinky dink apt, a couple roommates, cook at home, carpool/public transportation, and all that jazz and it'll really help you from digging yourself any deeper than you need.

Personally, I'm going to be living with mom and dad, eating at home, and driving 30 min to school each way. My only luxury is going to be a nice gym membership so I don't go crazy or get fat.

However, he says UTHSCSA will cost ~300k, but when I was doing some serious research thinking I would need to find my own place and calculating all that jazz with tuition increases and everything, I got to around 250k. So that's knocking off 50k for one of the cheaper schools. I'm sure you could easily knock 100k off his estimate for some of the more expensive schools if you live reasonably.

Reactions: 4 users
Personally, I'm going to be living with mom and dad, eating at home, and driving 30 min to school each way.

Congrats, and I hate you.
Oh, and you're going to TX. Double hate.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
His numbers aren't "wrong" but he uses max COA, which for most schools is intentionally overkill (they must cast a wide net for a reasonable living for all students, including students with families with kids leasing absolutely everything).

I think his main point is that the tuition the schools post on their website should not be what you should expect to pay. He is absolutely correct here. Increase TUITION by about 25% (we did this down at the TMDSAS thread for the TX schools) over the 4 years and you can probably take down your living expenses quite a bit. Most cities, you can get a rinky dink apt, a couple roommates, cook at home, carpool/public transportation, and all that jazz and it'll really help you from digging yourself any deeper than you need.

Personally, I'm going to be living with mom and dad, eating at home, and driving 30 min to school each way. My only luxury is going to be a nice gym membership so I don't go crazy or get fat.

However, he says UTHSCSA will cost ~300k, but when I was doing some serious research thinking I would need to find my own place and calculating all that jazz with tuition increases and everything, I got to around 250k. So that's knocking off 50k for one of the cheaper schools. I'm sure you could easily knock 100k off his estimate for some of the more expensive schools if you live reasonably.
Well for one, UIC does not cost $325K, even at MAX COA.

I think you need to look at the increases of around 25% in tuition over the 4 years as well as the 6.8% interest rate added yearly, along with the 3% origination fee.

I wanna do this -->:banana: every time I see these crazy tuition numbers but then I realize best case scenario I'm still 6 figures in the hole :uhno:

Reactions: 3 users
Summary for those of us that don't have a DT account? Another list of school prices?

Reactions: 2 users

Lol just wait buddy. There is a link. Right now with just the expenses the school posts you're at $260k. Did you think about other fees and expenses, tuition increases etc. Ask the upperclassmen what they thought they were going to pay. I graduated with almost 100k more than what the school originally predicted and I worked during school and didn't take out all the loans offered for living expenses.

Lol just wait buddy. There is a link. Right now with just the expenses the school posts you're at $260k. Did you think about other fees and expenses, tuition increases etc. Ask the upperclassmen what they thought they were going to pay. I graduated with almost 100k more than what the school originally predicted and I worked during school and didn't take out all the loans offered for living expenses.
UIC costs at least $325K...................calm down

I just looked at the thread. My reaction: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Thank you for sharing this.
Ik you're not a bad person or anything, but it seems a bit inconsiderate for you to type that since you're doing the navy thing and not experiencing the whole loan/debt thing other people are. Kind of like a "look how bad other people have it" thing

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ik you're not a bad person or anything, but it seems a bit inconsiderate for you to type that since you're doing the navy thing and not experiencing the whole loan/debt thing other people are. Kind of like a "look how bad other people have it" thing

I don't think that's very fair. It's not like it's cancer. It's debt.

Reactions: 5 users

You don't know my situation. That's all I'll say here. Best not to make assumptions about other people.

Reactions: 3 users
You don't know my situation. That's all I'll say here. Best not to make assumptions about other people.
All that really needs to be known is someone not having the burden of debt saying "Wow :eek::eek:" at other people's. As someone not paying debt myself it would show a lack of tact for me to be in awe of the troubles of others. What's the point of that post anyway?

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think that's very fair. It's not like it's cancer. It's debt.
True. But we can apply that to a lot of things. If I had straight a's and got accepted to all the dental schools and someone else posted a chance me with low stats, I wouldn't go "wow" at there post. Not really contributing anything- why post that? It doesn't have to be cancer for it to be weird when someone inconsiderately looks at someone else's misfortune from a higher vantage point.

All that really needs to be known is someone not having the burden of debt saying "Wow :eek::eek:" at other people's. As someone not paying debt myself it would show a lack of tact for me to be in awe of the troubles of others. What's the point of that post anyway?

Well I'm certainly glad for you that you are able to pay cash for dental school (or medical based on your status)

I will comment on whatever I want.

Well I'm certainly glad for you that you are able to pay cash for dental school.

I will comment on whatever I want.
Sure thing. Not saying you can't. I'm sure it feels good to be in a better position than most dental students.

True. But we can apply that to a lot of things. If I had straight a's and got accepted to all the dental schools and someone else posted a chance me with low stats, I wouldn't go "wow" at there post. Not really contributing anything- why post that? It doesn't have to be cancer for it to be weird when someone inconsiderately looks at someone else's misfortune from a higher vantage point.

Go be unnecessarily outraged somewhere else please. You're ruining this thread.

Reactions: 7 users
Go be unnecessarily outraged somewhere else please. You're ruining this thread.
Not outraged, just saying it came off as inconsiderate. Like incis0r, I can also "comment on whatever I want". A better example of someone being unnecessarily outraged is having an acquaintance not pursue dentistry for the right reasons and posting a thread on it only to be get told by pretty much everyone else lol.

Sure thing. Not saying you can't. I'm sure it feels good to be in a better position than most dental students.

:wtf:

If you really knew me, you would talk about how I'm going to be completing dental school in 6 months because of my super-sonic abilities. :rofl:

:wtf:

If you really knew me, you would talk about how I'm going to be completing dental school in 6 months because of my super-sonic abilities. :rofl:
ah shoot too bad I'm just an average joe with no supersonic abilities ;'(

No worries. I've got an extra jetpack for you :)
I would like that.

See now everything is calm again. The good thing about the internet is everything can be taken with a grain of salt lmao.

Not outraged, just saying it came off as inconsiderate. Like incis0r, I can also "comment on whatever I want". A better example of someone being unnecessarily outraged is having an acquaintance not pursue dentistry for the right reasons and posting a thread on it only to be get told by pretty much everyone else lol.

*eye rolls so hard the muscles in my eye become detached and snaps my optic nerves*

Reactions: 5 users
*eye rolls so hard the muscles in my eye become detached and snaps my optic nerves*
so did everyone else reading your thread ;)

But back on topic. Yeesh Big loans, things getting more expensive, saturation is huge, the sky is falling etc. etc.
What else is new on the predent forums?

yea i worded that ****tily lol. Was trying to say it's weird for someone not experiencing the problems of others to go on a thread dedicated to those problems and wow at them. Then again it's weird of me to point that out instead of ignoring it, but felt pretty bored so I did so.

yea i worded that ****tily lol. Was trying to say it's weird for someone not experiencing the problems of others to go on a thread dedicated to those problems and wow at them. Then again it's weird of me to point that out instead of ignoring it, but felt pretty bored so I did so.

Bro you don't know anything about me...

Bro you don't know anything about me...
Yes you have made that clear. I was originally thinking it's weird to post that since I do know you won't have debt (which is the only necessary fact I need to know for my previous statements) and then you clarified by saying you could post whatever you want to which I agreed. Plus you seem like a standup guy throughout most of these forums which was why I questioned it.

since I do know you won't have debt (which is the only necessary fact I need to know for my previous statements)

...I have never discussed my financial situation with you.

...I have never discussed my financial situation with you.
I mean if you post that your on the navy or army or whatever thing on this forum and I read it while browsing, you don't have to directly tell me for me to know the situation right? Not that this even matters.

You were trying to be fake deep, imo - calling him out publicly on what you perceived to be insensitive. There really was nothing wrong with his post. He doesn't have to be experiencing something directly to appreciate how hard it must be for those who are. Plus, you sound like he is just getting the money for free, which really isn't fair to him. Like he said, you don't know him well enough to make any bold statements.

Edit: You really should apologize to him for your assumptions.

Reactions: 6 users
You were trying to be fake deep, imo - calling him out publicly on what you perceived to be insensitive. There really was nothing wrong with his post. He doesn't have to be experiencing something directly to appreciate how hard it must be for those who are. Plus, you sound like he is just getting the money for free, which really isn't fair to him. Like he said, you don't know him well enough to make any bold statements.

Edit: You really should apologize to him for your assumptions.
The only assumption I made is he's not gonna have debt which was correct. Me saying the statement seemed to be inconsiderate or something is an opinion. Also your 3rd sentence is your opinion as well. People are welcome to perceive different things- and no I'm not trying to be deep. I literally said "hmm seemed like a weird thing to post considering you won't experience any of these people's problems". You guys are welcome to ignore it, think I'm outraged for nothing, or become outraged yourselves.

School List

What the Class of 2021 Could Owe
Midwestern IL University College of Dental Medicine $659,623
A.T. Still University-Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health $638,490
Midwestern AZ University College of Dental Medicine $638,336
New York University College of Dentistry $632,460
The Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC $595,503
University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine $573,278
University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry $567,055
Missouri School of Dentistry & Oral Health at ATSU $561,467
Loma Linda University School of Dentistry $551,701
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine $540,131
Western University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine $529,844
Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine $529,082
Columbia University College of Dental Medicine $525,653
Creighton University School of Dentistry $524,510
Harvard School of Dental Medicine $518,668
Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine $511,556
The University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry $509,905
University of New England College of Dental Medicine $494,284
Nova Southeastern University College of Dentistry $488,950
Touro College of Dental Medicine at New York Medical College $481,584
Medical University of South Carolina College of Dental Medicine $475,869
LECOM School of Dental Medicine $456,438
University of Washington School of Dentistry $454,152
Roseman University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine $446,024
University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry $444,424
Temple University Kornberg School of Dentistry $434,975
Marquette University School of Dentistry $424,180
University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine $420,116
Oregon Health Sciences University School of Dentistry $408,940
Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine $406,908
Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry $406,146
University of California, Los Angeles School of Dentistry $398,301
University of Minnesota School of Dentistry $386,080
University of Michigan School of Dentistry $383,413
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine $374,269
University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine $371,983
University of Buffalo School of Dental Medicine $365,379
Ohio State University College of Dentistry $363,474
University of Florida College of Dentistry $362,966
University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine $352,806
University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine $347,980
Indiana University School of Dentistry $343,789
Howard University College of Dentistry $343,408
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Dentistry $342,703
University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Dentistry $341,014
University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Dentistry $336,804
University of Maryland School of Dentistry $335,648
University of Utah School of Dentistry $334,193
University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry $325,780
University of Oklahoma College of Dentistry $321,818
University of Kentucky College of Dentistry $320,167
Louisiana State University Health Science Center School of Dentistry $315,763
University of Louisville School of Dentistry $303,342
East Carolina University School of Dentistry $302,768
University of Mississippi Medical Center School of Dentistry $299,212
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio Dental School $296,164
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston School of Dentistry $294,386
The Dental College of Georgia at Augusta University $283,337
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Dentistry $280,924
Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry $279,781
West Virginia University School of Dentistry $275,336
Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine $274,320
The University of Iowa College of Dentistry and Dental Clinics $272,923
University of Puerto Rico, School of Dental Medicine* $250,063
University of Alabama School of Dentistry $241,300
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry* $218,186

Reactions: 2 users
School List

What the Class of 2021 Could Owe
Midwestern IL University College of Dental Medicine $659,623
A.T. Still University-Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health $638,490
Midwestern AZ University College of Dental Medicine $638,336
New York University College of Dentistry $632,460
The Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC $595,503
University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine $573,278
University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry $567,055
Missouri School of Dentistry & Oral Health at ATSU $561,467
Loma Linda University School of Dentistry $551,701
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine $540,131
Western University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine $529,844
Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine $529,082
Columbia University College of Dental Medicine $525,653
Creighton University School of Dentistry $524,510
Harvard School of Dental Medicine $518,668
Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine $511,556
The University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry $509,905
University of New England College of Dental Medicine $494,284
Nova Southeastern University College of Dentistry $488,950
Touro College of Dental Medicine at New York Medical College $481,584
Medical University of South Carolina College of Dental Medicine $475,869
LECOM School of Dental Medicine $456,438
University of Washington School of Dentistry $454,152
Roseman University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine $446,024
University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry $444,424
Temple University Kornberg School of Dentistry $434,975
Marquette University School of Dentistry $424,180
University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine $420,116
Oregon Health Sciences University School of Dentistry $408,940
Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine $406,908
Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry $406,146
University of California, Los Angeles School of Dentistry $398,301
University of Minnesota School of Dentistry $386,080
University of Michigan School of Dentistry $383,413
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine $374,269
University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine $371,983
University of Buffalo School of Dental Medicine $365,379
Ohio State University College of Dentistry $363,474
University of Florida College of Dentistry $362,966
University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine $352,806
University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine $347,980
Indiana University School of Dentistry $343,789
Howard University College of Dentistry $343,408
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Dentistry $342,703
University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Dentistry $341,014
University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Dentistry $336,804
University of Maryland School of Dentistry $335,648
University of Utah School of Dentistry $334,193
University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry $325,780
University of Oklahoma College of Dentistry $321,818
University of Kentucky College of Dentistry $320,167
Louisiana State University Health Science Center School of Dentistry $315,763
University of Louisville School of Dentistry $303,342
East Carolina University School of Dentistry $302,768
University of Mississippi Medical Center School of Dentistry $299,212
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio Dental School $296,164
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston School of Dentistry $294,386
The Dental College of Georgia at Augusta University $283,337
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Dentistry $280,924
Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry $279,781
West Virginia University School of Dentistry $275,336
Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine $274,320
The University of Iowa College of Dentistry and Dental Clinics $272,923
University of Puerto Rico, School of Dental Medicine* $250,063
University of Alabama School of Dentistry $241,300
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry* $218,186

Are these figures from the DT thread and are all of them assuming in state tuition?

Unless you have over $400,000 worth of student loan, personally, I will not encourage anyone to do the military scholarship just to get they school and loan paid (unless they're going for the air force scholarship).

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
I do the same thing.
Live at home. eat good food by mom. Wear iron scrubs. Sleep 8hrs. Drive 30 mins to school

This is what he posted before he listed out all the figures.

"I've been working on a project to estimate the potential loan burdens for the class of 2021. I've written in the past about how dental schools systematically underestimate the true cost of a fully loan financed education. The reasons are primarily 1) no interest accrual shown in COA estimate 2) no projected future tuition and living expense growth listed 3) origination fees understated

So what I did is find all the COA estimates at the school websites best I could and extrapolate their data with my own adjustment factor that better takes these 3 issues into account. What follows is a list of what the class of 2021 could owe on student debt if 1) they have no financial support while in school (ie no spouse, family, military, scholarship help etc.) and 2) they are getting in state tuition where applicable. That means the students in this scenario are financing the entire cost of education. These estimates will be too high otherwise, and perhaps too low for folks living an expensive lifestyle while in school

Would love your thoughts. These are the colleagues you'll be hiring, working with, mentoring, and competing with in the future. If you see a public school and want to adjust for out of state add about $27,000 a year on average. Assumptions below include 3% avg origination fee, 6% interest rate for accrual calculation, and 5% annual cost growth. Apologies for formatting issues just scroll all the way down to see"

I do the same thing.
Live at home. eat good food by mom. Wear iron scrubs. Sleep 8hrs. Drive 30 mins to school

Do you drive in early to avoid rush hour then? That would be my big concern on a route that is 30 mins with no traffic.